• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryo Hazuki incoming for Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed?

sibarraz

Banned
SUMO found a way to not only pay homage to a beloved game for sega fans, but also to pay homage to sega arcade's history, AM2 and yu suzuki.

Like some gaffer said some time ago, this game feels so much like the racing arcade titles that sega did in the past, that at this moment, yu suzuki is noding,MUFASA STYLE on the skies at the top of sumo building

Backflip

That's great news. I just hope that the DLC will also be available on the consoles versions of the game (I don't have a PC).

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I don't know how people are still mad the DLC is PC only. It's the only version that runs at 60fps and it is routinely on sale for <$10.

Anyway, love the support this game continues to get.

LTWheels

So it's totally Sega Europe's doing, but it's pretty fucking weird that not only is Sega the first large Japanese company to get PC gaming, but one of their "platform" games is a Sonic the Hedgehog kart racer.

I feel like Sega Europe has inherited Sega's weirdness.

Piccoro

I don't know how people are still mad the DLC is PC only. It's the only version that runs at 60fps and it is routinely on sale for <$10.

Not everyone has the cash for a high-end PC.
I've bought this game day one on PS3 with all the dlc, and I've had to put up with the constant glitches, which were only resolved 3 months after it came out. And in the past year, Sumo released lots of extra characters for the PC version while they're console supporters were screwed from behind, big time.

I love the Sonic games, but if Ryo is indeed PC exclusive, Sega isn't gonna see any money from me anymore. I've had it with them. First PSO2, then Yakuza and now this.

sorry for the rant :(

I've bought this game day one on PS3 with all the dlc, and I've had to put up with the constant glitches, which were only resolved 3 months after it came out. And in the past year, Sumo released lots of extra characters for the PC version while they're console supporters were screwed from behind, big time.

I love the Sonic games, but if Ryo is indeed PC exclusive, Sega isn't gonna see any money from me anymore. I've had it with them. First PSO2, then Yakuza and now this.

I understand a lower spec machine actually plays the game better than expected.
Got a decent PC?

Meanwhile, I'm more likely to spend money on Sumo Digital products after playing this great game on PC.

Oh, does anyone know when to expect this upcoming thing??

Ysiadmihi

Banned

You don't need a high-end PC, though. Even though I did mention 60fps, it's not like you NEED 60fps to play the game if you're used to the console version anyhow. The game is more than playable on my laptop with HD 4000 graphics.

And I think you need to be a little more fair to Sumo and Sega as far as the extra characters and DLC goes. Console gamers wouldn't care about the extra characters PC gets, and it's much easier to add content to a game on Steam than consoles/handhelds. Be angry with Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft, not Sega.

Piccoro

I understand a lower spec machine actually plays the game better than expected.
Got a decent PC?

Meanwhile, I'm more likely to spend money on Sumo Digital products after playing this great game on PC.

Oh, does anyone know when to expect this upcoming thing??

No, I have a 4/5 year old laptop. I tried to play Skullgirls on it and it ran in about 15fps. I wouldn't buy the All-stars PC version anyways, I have the PS3 and Vita versions.

You don't need a high-end PC, though. Even though I did mention 60fps, it's not like you NEED 60fps to play the game if you're used to the console version anyhow. The game is more than playable on my laptop with HD 4000 graphics.

And I think you need to be a little more fair to Sumo and Sega as far as the extra characters and DLC goes. Console gamers wouldn't care about the extra characters PC gets, and it's much easier to add content to a game on Steam than consoles/handhelds. Be angry with Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft, not Sega.

Yeah, this sounds like a publisher issue, as always.

Also, Piccoro, if you ever get a decent PC to play it on, we're talking about a game that has often been on sale for 5 dollars or less. It's well worth it, even if you have it on another platform.

S0L, if you're listening, my biggest issue with Racing Transformed is that there's no online Grand Prix, AI opponent options. Put it in the next game please...... There.. will be a next game, right??

Mr-Joker

Banned

I won't be mad if it's PC only, just disappointed as I don't have the space or money for a PC.

Piccoro

Yes, I understand that the console publishers make it hard for the developers to release patches and dlc.
As a console gamer, I personally don't care about the TF2 and Total War characters, but a character from Shenmue?? Do PC gamers really care about him?

stn

He needs to be featured in DOA or Virtua Fighter, such a perfect mix. While they're at it, why not include Ren as well?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Yes, I understand that the console publishers make it hard for the developers to release patches and dlc.
As a console gamer, I personally don't care about the TF2 and Total War characters, but a character from Shenmue?? Do PC gamers really care about him?

Why wouldn't they? A lot of PC gamers also play consoles. A person who exclusively plays PC games and nothing else is an extremely rare breed.

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member
Ryo Hazuki's Outrun car is actually a real thing by the way
http://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/out...-to-become-augmented-reality-vehicle-1409631/

outrun-car-590x442.jpg

http://youtu.be/TaTB5Q11Dzc

SEGA, through Sumo Digital, you did the right thing. Months ago, Ryo Hazuki, by fans votes, was topping the poll:
-Ryo Hazuki: 3379
-Hatsune Miku: 3180
-Segata Sanshiro: 2613
[...]
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.ph...-to-become-DLC

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Why does it matter to you? It's "Sonic and Sega All-Stars racing." Not "Sonic and PC-ONLY All-Stars Racing."

Mondy

Banned
So Ryo is recognizable enough to be put in a generic arse Mario Kart clone alongside Wreck it Ralph and some random black cab driver, yet he's not well known enough for fucking Shenmue 3???

I give up.

Ryce

So Ryo is recognizable enough to be put in a generic arse Mario Kart clone alongside Wreck it Ralph and some random black cab driver, yet he's not well known enough for fucking Shenmue 3???

I give up.
You're absolutely right. Adding a character to a racing game takes the same amount of time, money, and effort as making Shenmue 3. What gives?

GooeyHeat

I give up.
The amount of wrong in this post is monumental.
You're absolutely right. Adding a character to a racing game takes the same amount of time, money, and effort as making Shenmue 3. What gives?
Not just that, but "random black cab driver"? Get out of here, son.

YAH YAH YAH YAH YAH

Spaghetti

people assuming ryo will be pc only content are jumping the gun by an incredible margin, even with the precedent set by the promotional tie-in characters added in previous updates

come on you fools, sega knows this dlc will make bank on the shenmue fanbase alone, they'll release it anywhere they can

Piccoro

people assuming ryo will be pc only content are jumping the gun by an incredible margin, even with the precedent set by the promotional tie-in characters added in previous updates

come on you fools, sega knows this dlc will make bank on the shenmue fanbase alone, they'll release it anywhere they can

Yea, you're right. I wasn't thinking clearly enough when I vented back there. :p
Of course the dlc will release on consoles, but it will probably be paid dlc, unlike the previous PC characters.

Maligna

Banned
So we can all pretend we've not seen this right? :)

---
S0L
---

Hey did S0L delete his twitter account over this? I can't find him anymore.

Also, pretty sure he mentioned somewhere that DLC won't be coming to consoles even though he tried really hard to convince the higher-ups.

It's a shame because this is my favorite game on my Vita. I work at a PC all day. I don't want to get right back on one when I get home. Ugh... hate PC gaming.

Videoneon

They certainly do if it's Ryo. They did when they weren't getting any updates while PC consistently got them - this created a lack of faith in the pub/dev's commitment to their platform of choice. This is putting aside the other things that factor into their displeasure - the advertising aspect of the roster selection (totally built into this game since its release), the tenuous reflection of the sega all-star concept that the roster shows partially by way of double representing some franchises, etc. I'm still not over the fact that Sega is not even in the title.

I really can't believe that people are going in the direction of playing dead over this. The people who voted in that poll long ago, obviously console gamers were a not insignificant portion of that voting base. They certainly weren't privy to the idea that if a character that won was created, it would only be exclusive to PC. Who would have thought that? This isn't some totally natural development - and if PC only was the plan, insidious as it is for a multi platform title someone should've stepped up to comment on it.

It's nice that you all enjoy the game, and sumo's been pretty good about communicating and they work at what they do, and all of the qualifiers, but come on. Why aren't more people calling Sega out on their stuff when it happens?

Maligna

Banned
Why aren't more people calling Sega out on their stuff when it happens?

I think we've just accepted our position as battered wives. I've already come to terms with the fact that I will never play Phantasy Star Online 2 on my Vita for instance...

epmode

I think we've just accepted our position as battered wives. I've already come to terms with the fact that I will never play Phantasy Star Online 2 on my Vita for instance...

You just reminded me that Sega isn't releasing a Western PC port of PSO2. They're insane.

At least Old Sega still exists in Sumo.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
They certainly do if it's Ryo.

I could have been more clear, but I was not referring to Ryo.

They did when they weren't getting any updates while PC consistently got them - this created a lack of faith in the pub/dev's commitment to their platform of choice. This is putting aside the other things that factor into their displeasure - the advertising aspect of the roster selection (totally built into this game since its release), the tenuous reflection of the sega all-star concept that the roster shows partially by way of double representing some franchises, etc. I'm still not over the fact that Sega is not even in the title.

I really can't believe that people are going in the direction of playing dead over this. The people who voted in that poll long ago, obviously console gamers were a not insignificant portion of that voting base. They certainly weren't privy to the idea that if a character that won was created, it would only be exclusive to PC. Who would have thought that? This isn't some totally natural development - and if PC only was the plan, insidious as it is for a multi platform title someone should've stepped up to comment on it.

It's nice that you all enjoy the game, and sumo's been pretty good about communicating and they work at what they do, and all of the qualifiers, but come on. Why aren't more people calling Sega out on their stuff when it happens?

Unless there really was some evil plan to screw console/handheld owners over from the beginning, the truth is that it probably is not worth the time and money to push updates and DLC out onto 5 platforms that don't make it easy for Sumo/Sega. If there was a sizeable player base that they felt would buy paid DLC, you can bet your ass every version of the game would be seeing updates and new characters.

I think the fact that Sega didn't bother to release promotional characters for their own games on consoles speaks volumes.

However, we shouldn't forget that Ryo isn't actually confirmed for PC only at this point.

Pyrrhus

At least Old Sega still exists in Sumo.

I like Sonic Racing Transformed and Sumo, but I don't agree. They've made a good racer, but the feel is completely different. And all these shitty PC "characters" are like oil and water next to Ulala and Beat and the rest of the vintage characters. I do appreciate what they're doing but the execution is off. Their Joe Musashi is terrible, for instance. And who's the fat guy in the pirate ship supposed to be? Still, Ryo's finally coming. I'm excited about that.

_Ryo_

*crosses fingers for a Shenmue track*

epmode

I like Sonic Racing Transformed and Sumo, but I don't agree. They've made a good racer, but the feel is completely different. And all these shitty PC "characters" are like oil and water next to Ulala and Beat and the rest of the vintage characters.

The ridiculous PC characters = the car in Fighters Megamix. It's totally in the spirit of Old Sega.

Pyrrhus

The ridiculous PC characters = the car in Fighters Megamix. It's totally in the spirit of Old Sega.

Except they're ugly looking cross promotion synergy that make the art style of the game even more schizophrenic than it already is rather being a one-off nod to another game from the same developer rendered in a common style. And they're about a third of the roster at this point. Otherwise, yeah, exactly the same. I understand the reason they've been inserted, I just don't think they work. I would settle for just being able to turn them off in the single player modes so that my reminiscence of happier days with Sega isn't interrupted by Danica Patrick, the Heavy, Japanese Stereotype, Russian Stereotype, Football Manager, and Random Fat Guy from Podcast.

Top Bottom