• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryozo Tsujimoto (Monster Hunter Producer) becomes Executive Officer for Capcom

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. His dad is the CEO of Capcom.

duckroll

Well, his games are responsible for a lot of Capcom's revenue >_>

Ironically, the son of the CEO is probably the one who's keeping the company afloat with MH lol

He is not the creator of Monster Hunter, nor the original producer. Tsuyoshi Tanaka was the producer of Monster Hunter PS2 and Monster Hunter Portable PSP. He left Capcom after that. Ryozo Tsujimoto was a planner who has been in Capcom since 1996, and mostly worked on smaller games. He was credited for leading the online technical parts of MHP. Suddenly when MHP explodes in popularity, he is made the series producer of Monster Hunter. Is this nepotism? You decide. :)

Odd that the guy who made one of the most successful franchises is the son of the man who's been destroying the same company for the past decade. At least it's his to kill.

Also, congrats

Edit: well, he's been in charge for a good while, at keast

Odd that the guy who made one of the most successful franchises is the son of the man who's been destroying the same company for the past decade. At least it's his to kill.

Also, confrsts

Nop:

He is not the creator of Monster Hunter, nor the original producer. Tsuyoshi Tanaka was the producer of Monster Hunter PS2 and Monster Hunter Portable PSP. He left Capcom after that. Ryozo Tsujimoto was a planner who has been in Capcom since 1996, and mostly worked on smaller games. He was credited for leading the online technical parts of MHP. Suddenly when MHP explodes in popularity, he is made the series producer of Monster Hunter. Is this nepotism? You decide. :)

Capcom is truly kind of shady. Glad the investors are not buying the move.

Tenki

Is there any doubt?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Noritaka Funamizu really deserves the title of Monster Hunter creator. He was the one who really came up with the concepts of the first game.

There were always negative rumors about Capcom management. This just makes me thing that Capcom is highly hierarchical to a degree that the talent could not flow...

Sesha

^There are only two people on the board of directors involved in game production, Jun Takeuchi and Yoshinori Ono. I don't know if that is good or bad compared to other companies, but it seems low to me...

Edit: Oh, and I suppose Ryozo Tsujimoto makes that three, if he's on the board.

Tsuyoshi Tanaka leaving Capcom sucks. He produced DMC3 and DMC3SE. If he hadn't left, he might've been the producer of DMC4 instead of Kobayashi. Seems like he is currently a producer at Playsome, whatever that is.

duckroll

^There are only two people on the board of directors involved in game production, Jun Takeuchi and Yoshinori Ono. I don't know if that is good or bad compared to other companies, but it seems low to me...

Edit: Oh, and I suppose Ryozo Tsujimoto makes that three, if he's on the board.

None of those three are on the board of directors. They are just Corporate Officers, which is a generic executive title to say they're important employees in the company. Capcom's Directors are all businessmen.

Board of Directors: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/company/officer01.html

Corporate Officers: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/company/officer02.html

Defuser

Tsuyoshi Tanaka leaving Capcom sucks. He produced DMC3 and DMC3SE. If he hadn't left, he might've been the producer of DMC4 instead of Kobayashi. Seems like he is currently a producer at Playsome, whatever that is.

Unfortunately, people only know him as the guy who nearly kill DMC franchise with DMC2. At least he redeem himself with DMC3 and MH.

Sesha

None of those three are on the board of directors. They are just Corporate Officers, which is a generic executive title to say they're important employees in the company. Capcom's Directors are all businessmen.

Oh, whoops. I thought Corporate Officers were the non-chief members of the company that were on the board. Shows me I should look twice next time before I walk.

On that note, though, are there any major Japanese companies with devs on the board?

Oh, whoops. I thought Corporate Officers were the non-chief members of the company that were on the board. Shows me I should look twice next time before I walk.

On that note, though, are there any major Japanese companies with devs on the board?

There's this company called Nintendo Co., Ltd.

Wereroku

Doesn't the Dad and brother control a majority share is Capcom still? I remember reading that somewhere when they were discussing why him and his son have so much power. This is also why hostile takeovers of capcom are not really so dangerous.

Edit: Looks like the family itself control quite a few shares but it does not look like it would be a controlling amount unless alot of the others listed on non voting. Info at link Stock data

inherendo

As it should be. I don't think any shareholder would prefer a board of directors composed of mainly developers. Though most boards are too cozy with the execs, but that is another matter.

duckroll

Doesn't the Dad and brother control a majority share is Capcom still? I remember reading that somewhere when they were discussing why him and his son have so much power. This is also why hostile takeovers of capcom are not really so dangerous.

Edit: Looks like the family itself control quite a few shares but it does not look like it would be a controlling amount unless alot of the others listed on non voting. Info at link Stock data

The combined shares the Tsujimoto family holds puts them as the overall majority shareholders. Haruhiro owns 1,548,000 shares, so he's just below the cutoff on that list. There could be other family members with shares too, so it's hard to tell what the grand total is, but it's at least about 12% of the total shares.

Wereroku

The combined shares the Tsujimoto family holds puts them as the overall majority shareholders. Haruhiro owns 1,548,000 shares, so he's just below the cutoff on that list. There could be other family members with shares too, so it's hard to tell what the grand total is, but it's at least about 12% of the total shares.
Thanks I thought I had read they have a controlling vote. I thought it was higher but 12 is pretty high.

As it should be. I don't think any shareholder would prefer a board of directors composed of mainly developers. Though most boards are too cozy with the execs, but that is another matter.

I can see why investors would be wary of developers in the board of a corporation... But let's say that nepotism is way worse and Capcom has being infamous for making talent go away.

Shengar

I don't know that Capcom was into nepotism this hard :O
No wonder many of their talent went jumped off the board really quick. Which other video game company that have nepotism within their shareholder/board of management?

duckroll

Thanks I thought I had read they have a controlling vote. I thought it was higher but 12 is pretty high.

It's interesting to compare it to other big game companies with individuals as majority shareholders. Yamauchi's stake in Nintendo was 10% when he died. Yasuhiro Fukushima (founder of Enix) holds 20% of Square Enix. Masafumi Miyamoto (founder of Square) holds 6% of Square Enix. One family holding 12% is definitely up there, but I guess in the end what matters is how a company is run, regardless of share distribution. We don't see Nintendo and Square Enix being places where the founders groomed their children to take over. Lol.

Sesha

There's this company called Nintendo Co., Ltd.

Besides that, obviously.

There is a huge difference between having the majority of the board be composed of developers and having none, though. A major developer/publisher should have at least one person from the development side of things on the board. But for Capcom which has bled so much talent over the years, it's no surprise they have no devs on the board.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Its such a damned shame that Tanaka-san isnt around anymore as that guy was a fucking genius. He had the whole idea about wifi, hotspots and things like street pass already in his head and his desire to apply it to games way before. Was at an interview with him and the stuff he talked about was way ahead of its time. Its such a damned shame that he left the game industry for a while. Though I hear hes back in.

Tsujimoto seems like a nice guy from what I seen in that treehouse stream last week. Kind of bummed to hear he got promoted due to nepotism.

Tsujimoto seems like a nice guy from what I seen in that treehouse stream last week. Kind of bummed to hear he got promoted due to nepotism.
Didn't see him on the stream, but all of the stuff I've seen and read of him made him seem like a nice, enthusiastic guy. I don't know if he's been involved in non-Monster Hunter related projects, but he really believes in this franchise anyway.

Top Bottom