• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son Of Rome |Reviews| It's going to be a bloodbath!

ZaneZavin

Neo Member
Would we have loved it if it was based on the Gladiator movie? Would love to play a game like that.

- Military Campaigns
- Betrayal
- Arena Fights
- Death
- Afterlife (in which you hunt for revenge)

Cryoflar3

Seemed fitting

pdL6AZv.gif

MormaPope

Banned
Crytek really should bunker down and make Crysis 4, it should be a sequel to Crysis 1 and build on what made that game good. Open battle areas, neat mechanics that revolve around stealth and buffing yourself, enemy AI that reacts subtlety, more weapon variety, more vehicle variety, more human enemy types.

Alien enemies should be sparse and more akin to "Predator" instead of being erratic squidies. Crysis 4 should be a open world outright, being built around traversal and combat in vast open areas. Whenever Crysis starts to get linear is when problems and boredom kick in.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Thats my point, everyone expected average reviews and it got average reviews so why are certain users salavating over this?.
That's hardly accurate: there were plenty here who didn't expect it to get average reviews, or at least were hoping it would get great reviews and they've certainly pushed back on many of the arguments made from people who felt it would be average at best. Don't try to revise the disputes over this over the last few months and make it seem like everyone was on the same side all along.

Crytek really should bunker down and make Crysis 4, it should be a sequel to Crysis 1 and build on what made that game good. Open battle areas, neat mechanics that revolve around stealth and buffing yourself, enemy AI that reacts subtlety, more weapon variety, more vehicle variety, more human enemy types.

Alien enemies should be sparse and more akin to "Predator" instead of being erratic squidies. Crysis 4 should be a open world outright, being built around traversal and combat in vast open areas. Whenever Crysis starts to get linear is when problems and boredom kick in.

they should be able to do this comfortably on the new consoles, so there's that at least. again, Crysis 3 fan here.

This game will sell extremely well even with the mixed scores. I've just got a feeling.

In order for a launch game to sell "extremely well" it has to have a long tail and sell units over several months to a year. And there is no way that is going to happen with a game getting negative reactions like this one is.

MormaPope

Banned
2/5 from Sessler for "Saving Private Romulus"

Why does every MS game have microtransactions?

The Xbox One is a gigantic quest on making money. Sure, all videogame corporations run this way, but the Kinect having to be included at launch, making the price jump up to $500, along with the classic Microsoft XBL Gold paywall being implemented, paints a picture of dollar signs.

The sad thing about this is Microsoft could make just as much money by being a bit more modest. They're taking a risk and hoping it pays off.

DryvBy

Crysis didn't need a two grand machine at launch, although it would certainly help if you wanted to play it with great visuals while you did. Still looked solid on medium, I'll have you know. And it was still playable at 15-20fps, as I know from first hand experience ;)

Praising C1 and Warhead as the peak of the series is not a nostalgia fueled trend. It's still extremely good from a gameplay perspective and looks fairly good, to boot. People praise the single player campaign, up until the aliens show up (when we all admit it gets a bit shitty). Up to that point though, it's one of the best shooter campaigns ever made, and nothing coming out is really topping it. C2 and C3 are simply very different games when compared to C1 and Warhead, even if you think C2 and C3 are better you should still be able to appreciate that.

The aliens pop up somewhere after the 2nd half of the game. So really, Crysis is a tech show with a mediocre campaign as well. I'll never understand the love for Crysis 1. It looked amazing and that's about it. Just my opinion of course.

but most of the reviews claim otherwise. until we get our hands on it... how can we truly know lol

exactly, I'm still gonna buy Ryse and give my impressions of it. One thing i will say is that i will not play the multiplayer, only buying this game for the story and graphics.

Drek

Personally would have liked to see Ryse use Souls combat mechanics with faster response, clean animations, a short main story line that focused entirely on melee combat, and then have an expansive online PvP and PvE Colosseum mode with the ability to use in-game currency won from matches to buy better gear. Then run weekly/monthly/yearly tourneys with exclusive gear for winners. Have ladders for 1v1, single fighter v. multiple animals (triple tigers shooting out of trap doors a la Gladiator), small team v. small team (4v4 or so) and then large team v large team (10v10). Every ladder has it's own rewards, and technique would depend heavily on the weapons you have (gladius, saber, battle axe, spear, trident and net, etc..)

Basically a 3rd person Chivalry with Souls mechanics.

The real kicker would be when instead of levels they could re-create the Colosseum re-creations of historic battles, including naval battles. Shit would have been epic.

2San

I expected the reviews, but the game really is pretty. o_O

The aliens pop up somewhere after the 2nd half of the game. So really, Crysis is a tech show with a mediocre campaign as well. I'll never understand the love for Crysis 1. It looked amazing and that's about it. Just my opinion of course.
Crysis 1 was good, because of the open design. In a time where everything was getting more linear that freedom felt great.

MS had this and Killer Instinct demos set up at their Comic-Con booths back in July. Those of us that played Ryse came out very disappointed. If it was that boring after 15 minutes of gameplay, I can only imagine how boring it would be after a few hours. It looked great though.

KI, on the other hand, was fantastic.

Drek

Knack gets shit reviews: WAHT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT GOTY

Ryse gets shit reviews: See? Xbox sucks.

They're launch titles. It's rare that launch titles are great. But the Sony bias on this board is at a fever pitch right now.

At least Xbox gamers have 3 exclusive games to play at launch. I went with ps4 and there's a wasteland until 2014.

Hell of a false equivolency you've built there. Knack is a shallow game with an "all ages" focus but is technically rock solid and has a lengthy single player experience. Ryse is a shallow game with a narrow target audience with sub 30 fps and janky animations.

I mean, Knack isn't the best game ever made but it accomplishes the stated goal of being a fun all ages distraction and does so without major game breaking flaws. Ryse isn't by most accounts actually all that fun either, is short, and has technical issues throughout. The fact that Ryse is tracking slightly ahead of Knack on Metacritic shows an inherent reviewer bias against youth oriented games and in favor of button mashy blood baths.

Interfectum

They're launch titles. It's rare that launch titles are great. But the Sony bias on this board is at a fever pitch right now.

At least Xbox gamers have 3 exclusive games to play at launch. I went with ps4 and there's a wasteland until 2014.

Please show me where people said that and it's funny how you call out bias when you obviously have bias of your own.

Demon Ice

Banned

Uh...I don't think anybody ever said that. Got a quote/link?

Can't say I'm surprised about the Ryse scores. Literally every preview indication said as much. Pretty graphics, astoundingly monotonous and boring gameplay.

The fact that the reviews were embargoed until today alone should speak volumes.

Krakn3Dfx

This will probably still sell fairly well from just being a launch title. Only game I'm getting with my XBO is Dead Rising, but I'll see this in the Redbox at some point.

diamount

Banned

The hell you talking about? Knack has been shit on constantly.

Top Bottom