• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son Of Rome |Reviews| It's going to be a bloodbath!

I think it gets pretty bad when people try to make the excuse (with the score being pretty low) that it's just like God of War or Arkham Asylum/City... just wow... *facepalm*.

mjc

About what I expected. After hearing rumblings about the gameplay for months it doesn't surprise me. I'll still try and enjoy it for the setting and graphics. Then probably promptly trade it in for Forza or something.

And Jesus, I can't wait until the console warz bullshit dies down. So sick of this nonsense.

Amory

The fact that Ryse is tracking slightly ahead of Knack on Metacritic shows an inherent reviewer bias against youth oriented games and in favor of button mashy blood baths.

Or maybe they just had a better time with Ryse.

I'll admit I haven't played Knack but I watched the hour long giant bomb quick look, and it looked like a thoroughly average, extremely repetitive platformer that took zero risks. I'll grant that it looks pretty nice.

I'm not saying Ryse is great. I'm saying reviews shouldn't matter a ton for one game and not at all for another, just because of console war BS.

pestul

So nextgen actually did start with Wii U.. what disappointing launch titles from both Sony & MS. In a fair world with Zelda and Mario coming out, both games and systems should see better reception and sales. Not likely.

Ryse's reviews are about what I expected...lots of 5's and 6's. It was clear from the very first reveal that there just isn't much "game" there...Ryse is little more than a pretty tech demo.

These launch lineups for both Xbox One and PS4 are quite bad - even when compared to older console's launch lineups. Even the best games are merely "good". The X360 and PS3 launch lineups, while not stellar, were clearly better than X1 and PS4.

TheOGB

Banned
The fact that Ryse is tracking slightly ahead of Knack on Metacritic shows an inherent reviewer bias against youth oriented games and in favor of button mashy blood baths.
While I wouldn't necessarily claim a bias myself, this is still why we can't have nice things

beast786

Knack gets shit reviews: WAHT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT GOTY

Ryse gets shit reviews: See? Xbox sucks.

They're launch titles. It's rare that launch titles are great. But the Sony bias on this board is at a fever pitch right now.

At least Xbox gamers have 3 exclusive games to play at launch. I went with ps4 and there's a wasteland until 2014.

Amory: Makes random generalizations.

And yes, Xbox have 3 exclusives games to play at launch and PS4 has NO exclusives at launch. Because PS4 HAZ NO GAMEZ

DJwest

Don't know if it's a mistake but Amazon UK now lists the game on Xbox 360. It definitely wasn't there before.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0054TX0IG/

The reviews are actually better than I expected. It's an average game not a terrible one and that isn't bad for a launch title. It looks like it'll end up with an overall higher metascore than Knack. Microsoft really brought it with their launch titles, Sony take notes.
They really didn't, both launch line ups suck hard.

Barzul

The reviews are actually better than I expected. It's an average game not a terrible one and that isn't bad for a launch title. It looks like it'll end up with an overall higher metascore than Knack. Microsoft really brought it with their launch titles, Sony take notes.

RetroStu

Banned
cinematics are pre rendered???

holy crap I can't save anything from this game

They said 'some' of the lengthy story scenes are pre-rendered (which goes against what Crytec have said by the way) but i have watched multiple streams of this lately and i have seen loads of cinemas that have transtioned into gameplay on the fly so not all of them are pre-rendered.

ironcreed

Banned
You know, it would be just as easy to level the same 'it's get's old quick' complaints against shooter after shooter that we see rehashed every year. The gameplay boils down to running around repeatedly shooting enemies and moving on to the next section to do the same. Then of course you take it online and do it even more. But when it comes to any new action games with good old hack and slash combat, they tend to get buried for being dull, uninspired and repetitive. But whatever, games like this are still fun to me and I can't wait to play it.

About what I expected. After hearing rumblings about the gameplay for months it doesn't surprise me. I'll still try and enjoy it for the setting and graphics. Then probably promptly trade it in for Forza or something.

And Jesus, I can't wait until the console warz bullshit dies down. So sick of this nonsense.

Lol! console war die down!? that's a good one!

ICPEE

LOLtaku:
KILLZONE: Shadow Fall --> NO
Ryse --> YES

I'm laughing my ass off here.
Absolutely ridiculous!
Killzone ShadowFall has more longevity than Ryse with free MP maps and the various online game modes.

How is it even remotely possible that Kotaku can score ShadowFall lower than Ryse with its 5 hour campaign.

IvorB

I'm still sad that it only lasted 2 seasons. That show was amazing.

Yeah for real. I'm just re-watching it at the moment actually. I totally forget how awesome it is. Two seasons was enough though. I hate shows that overstay their welcome and besides following those events came years and years of peace. Nobody wants to see that.

Lunzio

I still think those that get this will still be happy with their purchases.

(I'm really enjoying Knack and we know how that was critically received.)

Killzone ShadowFall has more longevity than Ryse with free MP maps and the various online game modes.

How is it even remotely possible that Kotaku can score ShadowFall lower than Ryse with its 5 hour campaign.

Didn't have time to read the Kotaku review, but maybe they're treating Ryse like Crysis 3? Shitty game, but a recommended buy for the tech demo that it is?

rdrr gnr

Yeah for real. I'm just re-watching it at the moment actually. I totally forget how awesome it is. Two seasons was enough though. I hate shows that overstay their welcome and besides following those events came years and years of peace. Nobody wants to see that.
The original arc was only a few seasons longer. Season two is just an accelerated version of the entire arc. iirc, the final scene of season 2 was supposed to be the final scene of the entire series. Its massive budget (it's still one of the most expensive shows ever made) killed it. I hope the same doesn't happen with GoT.

TheJerit

Still better than whatever Sony brought to the table (going by metacritic) a good game is better than an average game even if it has microtransactions.

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

Didn't have time to read the Kotaku review, but maybe they're treating Ryse like Crysis 3? Shitty game, but a recommended buy for the tech demo that it is?

Doesn't KZ look better the Ryse, I think Ryse is getting overrated in the graphics dept, it looks good but Im not saying wow or anything,

Pop

Still better than whatever Sony brought to the table (going by metacritic) a good game is better than an average game even if it has microtransactions.

Wha thee

So now critic scores matter. Knack and Killzone are leaps better than what these fools are telling us.

So, Knack?

Think I'm still getting the game. For a friend who really is excited about it.

Yeah get it. It's a really fun game. Especially challenging on Hard difficulty.

So in other words, both best looking next gen (current gen?) games on both platforms look fantastic, but play wise are average.

Are people gonna get off of polygons nuts yet?

Barzul

Wha thee

So now critic scores matter. Knack and Killzone are leaps better than what these fools are telling us.

Those are your opinions which are probably biased. There's a reason why people look at reviews and why this thread exists. It's because they matter, they can lead to a buy or no buy. Microsofts games are simply being better reviewed.

Top Bottom