• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryzen 8700G - Review Thread

winjer

Gold Member
APU Specs

Last edited:

Xyphie

I just don't see who these are for. With the 7600 and up already featuring a basic GPU on the IO die with multiple display support, modern video decoding etc that takes care of the "I just need something that outputs to a monitor" crowd. If you buy it as a stop-gap until you can afford a GPU you just screw yourself over in the end by having a worse CPU. You basically have to really like the idea of a SFF computer without a dGPU while also enjoying playing games for it to really make sense.

winjer

Gold Member
has a good CPU but the igpu is severely underpowered

We can't expect an IGPU to have the same performance of a dedicated GPU.
Still, the 8700G is the fastest iGPU in the market, by a big margin.
Might not be the ideal solution for hardcore gamers. But for a kids PC, that can do homework and still some gaming at low settings, for cheap, this is a good option.
And further down the line, it can be upgraded with a dedicated GPU and still perform well, because the CPU is good enough.

We can't expect an IGPU to have the same performance of a dedicated GPU.
Still, the 8700G is the fastest iGPU in the market, by a big margin.
Might not be the ideal solution for hardcore gamers. But for a kids PC, that can do homework and still some gaming at low settings, for cheap, this is a good option.
And further down the line, it can be upgraded with a dedicated GPU and still perform well, because the CPU is good enough.

That was my first thought when I seen almost 120fps on Fortnite with the HUB review, would make a great Series S kind of USFF PC for kids, or even a small retro box for emulation and older titles. Last time I used an APU was the A10-7850K in a small second PC so I could play something like Company of Heroes while waiting for rendering to finish on my main PC. APU based systems are ideal for secondary uses more than anything as they can be small & low power.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Aren't these basically the chips that are found in the ROG ally and Legion Go but with the TDP limits removed?

winjer

Gold Member
Aren't these basically the chips that are found in the ROG ally and Legion Go but with the TDP limits removed?

Yes, they are similar in CPU core, CU count, caches, etc.
There are differences, like the socket, support for LPDDR5 vs DDR5, and power limits.

Top Bottom