• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[S-Conf] Beyond: Two Souls E3 2012 trailer

Replicant

So when does it turn into a video game?

How does it control? Is it all quick time events? Is it an action game? Adventure game?

More likely similar to Heavy Rain? Yes, it's a different kind of gaming experience from the ones you'd normally encounter on other games that relies on repeated button movements. So what? Not all games have to have similar kind of control mechanism that relies on button combinations. Many games on iDevices involve nothing more than just tapping your finger. There are enough places in the gaming industry for all kinds of gaming style and genre to thrive. If you're not into QD's style of game, then play something else. But don't go asking QD to change the kind of game they want to make because they enjoy making it and some of us enjoy playing it. You can go all high and mighty about how that's not a game but the fact is, there is market for this kind of game.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This will also be out early next year? Geez, it's really going to be packed. I was guessing this would be later in 2013.

I still have to play Heavy Rain... I enjoyed the demo well enough, but it's always taken a backseat to other games. I gotta get on that.

Kyon

Banned
More likely similar to Heavy Rain? Yes, it's a different kind of gaming experience from the ones you'd normally encounter on other games that relies on repeated button movements. So what? Not all games have to have similar kind of control mechanism that relies on button combinations. Many games on iDevices involve nothing more than just tapping your finger. There are enough places in the gaming industry for all kinds of gaming style and genre to thrive. If you're not into QD's style of game, then play something else. But don't go asking QD to change the kind of game they want to make because they enjoy making it and some of us enjoy playing it. You can go all high and mighty about how that's not a game but the fact is, there is market for this kind of game.

yasssssssssssssssssss drag them

Endo Punk

My thoughts exactly.

I love seeing Ellen Page in movies and all but ... I wonder why Sony has such an interest in her that they're willing to but character's of her likeness into 2 big games. :/

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Thank you.

Heavy Rain is one of my favorite games this gen alongside with Phoenix Wright because it was different from a lot of games and the adventure genre excites me nowadays. So screw the haters and saying "lolz not a game and it's movie".

Perkel

Banned
Game looks awasome, haters be damned.

Fahrenheit was briliant, opening scene in bar is too awasome to forget.

Heavy Rain also delivered many memorable scenes as cutting your finger.

If Beyond deliver many more of those memorable scenes then I'm all in.

As of gameplay side i consider Quantic games as natural progression of adventure games.

AwShucks

I'm confused...there are already haters? Have people not played Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy? What did you people expect?

Imagine if David Cage teamed up with Damon Lindelof and Roberto Orci/Kurtzman. The world would explode from the mind-numbingly awful script that they would pour out.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's kinda funny. I thought of Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins being in this game before the full reveal. Apparently the main character's name is "Jodie".

Ummm....

...Hollywood is nowhere near a bastion of good script writing...

Heavy Rain had better writing than a lot of Hollywood movies nowadays. Though Cannes and a number of independent movies will definitely trump Heavy Rain's story.

UrbanRats

Truth.
Infact, the very problem of QD games is Cage's awful writing.
If you want to have that kind of gamedesign experience, your story has to be more solid than the average videogame throwaway crap, and it really isn't (in Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain).

Cage got mad when someone was laughing too loud as he was describing Ellen Page as a good actress.

She didn't even care enough to show up.

"Ellen Page ‏@EllenPage

Ahhhh Beyond! So excited and grateful to be apart of David Cage's work! It has been an incredible experience."

IzzyF3

This

nelsonroyale said:
Ummm....

...Hollywood is nowhere near a bastion of good script writing...

...and this.

Also, Ellen Page seemed perfect for the part at the end of the trailer. Her silent scenes in the beginning didn't do much to show off how great having her on board is though. Maybe they're teasing for future trailers, which I'm going to avoid. I'm ready to preorder.

i-Lo

Colour me thoroughly excited after watching that trailer. I mean... dat grafix!

Now, I shall await clips of playthroughs.

Kyon

Banned
Truth.
Infact, the very problem of QD games is Cage's awful writing.
If you want to have that kind of gamedesign experience, your story has to be more solid than the average videogame throwaway crap, and it really isn't (in Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain).

But at the end of the day thats your opinion. This genre has an audience. You may not be feeling his writing ability but others do.

That was absolutely amazing and a huge jump from Heavy Rain in terms of graphics. The facial anmation is really outstanding. I can't wait to play this.

UrbanRats

But at the end of the day thats your opinion. This genre has an audience. You may not be feeling his writing ability but others do.

Lol, been through this discussion a million times and i don't want to derail the thread. :p
Anyway in short, i think subjective taste and objective value of the craft are two distinctive things, but surely he is absolutely free to keep writing his things and entertain whoever enjoy them, it's fine by me.

Kyon

Banned
Lol, been through this discussion a million times and i don't want to derail the thread. :p
Anyway in short, i think subjective taste and objective value of the craft are two distinctive things, but surely he is absolutely free to keep writing his things and entertain whoever enjoy them, it's fine by me.

I can admit that his writing is odd at times. I think its more the fact that i like what he does with interaction rather than the actual plot? Like how in HR there are many outcomes to a scene without consequences. You feel meh?

After being disappointed in the vast majority of Indigo Prophecy, and never getting a PS3 to play Heavy Rain, I was more than a little shocked that this game had me contemplating buying a PS3.

Still may do it. If not, at least you guys should get something potentially awesome. I mean it could be a giant Quantic Dream clusterfuck, but I have faith they can pull something off.

With all of it's issues, there were moments in Indigo Prophecy that were something special. I can imagine it is the same in Heavy Rain because of the love some have for it. So this is on my radar as a maybe one day purchase.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Looks visually amazing. With an actual actress working on this, it looks like they can fix what was easily the weakest link of heavy rain.

Thunder Monkey if you loved IP GET HEAVY RAIN lol you will not regret it and its dirt cheap too

I don't have a PS3.

I still like to watch the conferences though, and definitely get jealous of awesome games people are getting that I currently don't have access to.

I'm confused...there are already haters? Have people not played Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy? What did you people expect?

They do seem to have gone down the path where their games contain less gameplay and more button mashing/QTE's.

I thought the trailer looked decent though, nice visuals and decent VA.

Jay Sosa

Am I the only one not impressed by the visuals?

From the youtube video:

At first glance I thought this was a movie o_O

hahah what?

I mean if people in real life would look all shiny and shit, sure. Cop looks alright, but Ellen Paige? Not saying it looks bad or anything but certainly not 'like a movie'.

Well, doesn't matter anyway, one of my favorite games this gen is Deadly Premonition.

I don't have a PS3.

I still like to watch the conferences though, and definitely get jealous of awesome games people are getting that I currently don't have access to.

It's a shame to miss out on some great experiences like Heavy Rain, Journey etc. Even apart from those, Beyond + The Last of Us alone looks like they would be worth getting a ps3 for.

I mean, there's no way I'm not buying a Wii U after I see the amazing games for it later today.
Please deliver Nintendo

Top Bottom