• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

FinalAres

So....no story as usual?

That's fine. I'd like a Zelda game in the future to be story heavy, would be a nice differentiator, but this game has enough going for it that it doesn't need a story.

DNAbro

So....no story as usual?

That's fine. I'd like a Zelda game in the future to be story heavy, would be a nice differentiator, but this game has enough going for it that it doesn't need a story.

That hasn't been the case for Zelda in years.

gafneo

Banned
Hopefully Fierce Deity Link. (I really hope he makes a huge comback soon.)
I read through all the data. Not many surprises in general. Game only has a handful of enemy types lacking even the most traditional tacktites. Main boss battle with a few forms of Ganon. Wolf Link is more of a dlc amiibo. No Midna.
AmiiboTwilightPrincess
AmiiboSkywardSword

Is all the surprises that came up. Didn't know a Skyward Sword amiibo existed.

Story so far is standard children's fairy tale. Easy to follow, no past knowledge of games required. Who knows, might be one holly crap moment no one saw coming, but in truths what we see is what we get.

I read through all the data. Not many surprises in general. Game only has a handful of enemy types lacking even the most traditional tacktites. Main boss battle with a few forms of Ganon. Wolf Link is more of a dlc amiibo. No Midna.
AmiiboTwilightPrincess
AmiiboSkywardSword

Is all the surprises that came up. Didn't know a Skyward Sword amiibo existed.

Story so far is standard children's fairy tale. Easy to follow, no past knowledge of games required. Who knows, might be one holly crap moment no one saw coming, but in truths what we see is what we get.

I really hope they keep things simple story-wise. I really can't stand the convoluted mess many stories have became in Japanese adventure games.

NewGame

Banned
He actually got pretty far. A pretty neat vista on top of that mountain.

I imagine you're not supposed to be there, what with the 1HKO enemies all over the place. It is very interesting to see how many approach options there are, climbing and scouting out the safest path is going to be amazing to speedrun.

Anteo

Why are people mentioning Koholint Island? Is that really in this? No way. NO WAY.

The name Cohorint appears on the pastebin
For some reason people are connecting that to Koholint Island. Hey maybe Cohorint isnt even an island

Ms.Galaxy

Why are people mentioning Koholint Island? Is that really in this? No way. NO WAY.

Well...

Ck_KQaWW0AA709W.jpg

Look at the island at the bottom right. The shape is almost identical to artistic depictions of Koholint Island.

Koholintisland.gif

So it might be possible.

So....no story as usual?

We haven't seen any of the Memories (cutscenes with Zelda) nor any interaction with the 4 champions, so it's a bit early to be saying "no story at all".

Have I got it right, that if your stamina runs out while climbing or swimming, you'll fall or drown? Is it theoretically possible to immediately climb down the overhang you walk to, after you leave the stasis room you start the game in? Maybe with the stamina you begin the game with, you can just climb down far enough so that the fall, after the stamina runs out, won't kill you? It's first thing I'm gonna try Friday. I'm gonna try every thing. Btw, has anyone seen link do a roll? I'd like to know if you can roll up against the tree, so as to make it drop stuff - there might be no rupees in the grass, but maybe there are still rupees in the trees?

RetroMG

Have I got it right, that if your stamina runs out while climbing or swimming, you'll fall or drown? Is it theoretically possible to immediately climb down the overhang you walk to, after you leave the stasis room you start the game in? Maybe with the stamina you begin the game with, you can just climb down far enough so that the fall, after the stamina runs out, won't kill you? It's first thing I'm gonna try Friday. I'm gonna try every thing. Btw, has anyone seen link do a roll? I'd like to know if you can roll up against the tree, so as to make it drop stuff - there might be no rupees in the grass, but maybe there are still rupees in the trees?

In a GameXplain Q&A they said they didn't think there was any way to roll. But you could always climb the trees to see if there are rupees?

I don't know about your question about climbing down the first cliff, but I suspect they wouldn't make it that easy for you to get off the plateau without the glider.

Pretty sure climbing down the plateau wall early forces you into a fall to your death, someone tried it in the demo.
And no, money doesn't grow on trees in this game, but you can sell apples for rupees if you like.

Pretty sure climbing down the plateau wall early forces you into a fall to your death, someone tried it in the demo.

I bet a speedrunner will be able to do it, before long. But I suppose you need the glider. If that item is essential, I guess the rest of the map could've been made sort of inaccessible due to the height of the plateau and the limited stamina. Still, nothing will stop me from trying.

Daschysta

Old man from the start of the game is the king of hyrule, he tells you about ganondorf showing up and wrecking things in a prophercy. So they built all the robots and guardians to oust ganny when he was predicted to appear. He appears and takes control of the robots, wrecking things. Link and Zelda go with 'champions' (Sages) stop what is happening but everyone dies except Zelda. Zelda does some sort of statis time lock thing- freezing everything in place until you can be resurrected 100 years later.

GET THE SAGES

GO TO ZELDA

BEAT GANONDORF

wow so unique, so story, very new

Actually they excavated the guardians and divine beasts, unless I missed something we don't know precisely who constructed them, adding some ambiguity. The story is meant to be a recurring legend or myth, myth contains various recurring motifs throughout tome and memory. I mean do you complain that all myths are boring because omg ragnarok, psh basically just revelations with a different coat of paint! ? Or omg eliscium just greek heaven lol boring! ?

It's established that the hero, the goddess (zelda) and demise (Ganon) are fated to reincarnate throughout time and relive their struggle pretty much eternally, why should then, that be surprising or dissapointing that that is the new Zeldas story in broad strokes. The interesting stuff is in the doing, and in the playing out of this iteration on the legend, and it appears damned interesting and entertaining indeed in this case. Afterall, given what we know from Skyward Sword any other story is ultimately an aside to this archetype.

Besides not everyone thought the old man was the king, many guessed rauru or even Ganon himself.

I bet a speedrunner will be able to do it, before long. But I suppose you need the glider. If that item is essential, I guess the rest of the map could've been made sort of inaccessible due to the height of the plateau and the limited stamina. Still, nothing will stop me from trying.

Yeah if there's a way to skip the detection area then it should be possible to get down, but I wouldn't bet on it if they have a simple height check.

Forkball

I've been seeing some complaints that there isn't much enemy variety. I haven't read every bit of the pastebin, but I wanted to compare past games. All info stolen from wikis. Numbers may be a bit off since they count hazards like swinging blades and falling rocks as enemies.

https://zeldawiki.org/Category:Enemies

OoT: 66
Twilight Princess: 78
Skyward Sword: 52

A complaint I had about Skyward Sword is the lack of enemy variety. If BotW is also lacking, I can see it being considered a negative, but even with limited enemy types, they can still be creative in terms of placement, grouping, and how they function.

m051293

https://shop.gamestar.de/$WS/webedia/websale8_shop-webedia/produkte/medien/pdf/gamepro/einzelausgaben/2017/GamePro_17-04_Leseprobe-1.pdf

I don't know if the link works, but here the proof from the magazine which is released in a few days.

Some sentences for the hype train from this preview:

Best and most impressive open world ever.
Best and most cinematic story in a zelda game ever.

Lynel in that review link.

KBFLQ47.jpg

Anteo

Lynel in that review link.

KBFLQ47.jpg

Whats that symbol on the left below the buttons, looks like an elephant. One of the beasts?

I bet its scripted so you die regardless of stamina. Still, I hope a spedrunner can figure out a way to skip the glider asuming is not required to navigate hyrule castle.

According to the 4chan user, you can also attempt to ride these enemies (like you would a horse) to attack them.

Whats that symbol on the left below the buttons, looks like an elephant. One of the beasts?

One of the "Broken" abilities you get when you beat a dungeon.

Top Bottom