• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacramento cop throwing black man to the ground for jaywalking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekdrm2d1

Video shows Sacramento cop throwing black man to the ground for jaywalking
By Tess Owen | Wednesday, April 12, 2017 | vice.com

The Sacramento Police Department is formally investigating a viral video that purportedly shows one of its officers slamming a black man to the ground and beating him.

The officer, who is white, confronted Nandi Cain Jr., after he had allegedly been jaywalking, a violation in the state of California.

Naomi Montaie captured the incident, which took place Monday evening, on on her cellphone and posted the five-minute video on Facebook.

In the video, Cain can be seen speaking with an officer. He removes his jacket and drops it on the ground. The police officer charges Cain, grabs him, slams him to the pavement, and starts beating him. In the video, Montaie and a passenger can be heard shouting, ”Hey!! Why you beating him like that?"

Sacramento Police Department released a statement saying the officer, a two-year veteran of the force, had ”attempted to detain a pedestrian for allegedly unlawfully crossing the street." A verbal dispute reportedly ensued. ”The pedestrian questioned the officer's validity to stop him, at which time a violent encounter occurred between the officer and the pedestrian."

After the altercation, Sacramento Police continued in the statement, ”the man was handcuffed and arrested for resisting arrest and issued an outstanding misdemeanor warrant out of Fresno County." The statement said that Cain ”began to violently kick the interior of the patrol car and had to be restrained by a leg hobble."

Per department protocol, the incident is currently under investigation and the officer involved has been placed on leave.

Cain told KCRA, an NBC affiliate, that he feared for his life. ”I thought I was going to be like the next Trayvon Martin," he said. ”I felt like they were going to draw a gun out and shoot my in my back or try to break my arms off or something."

https://news.vice.com/story/video-s...rowing-black-man-to-the-ground-for-jaywalking

Video (bystander version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSE-fa-Zhgw

Wtf is wrong in this country where walking on the wrong part of the street is a fucking offense. Fuck America, man. The whole point of jaywalking laws is to protect people from fucking getting run over by cars, so what the fuck is the godamn point if you're gonna get your ass beaten for it. Hope this fucking cop rots in jail.

mackattk

I was expecting like a city street. This is a neighborhood. I didn't even know there were jaywalking laws for residential streets.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Resisting arrest is the most meaningless shit there is.
Standing there and asking a question is resisting. Squirming a little when a cop starts hurting you is resisting.
Bleeding on a cop when they cut you is destruction of public property.

I was expecting like a city street. This is a neighborhood. I didn't even know there were jaywalking laws for residential streets.

Many cops will use any minor, inchoate infraction of the law committed by a black person to initiate a confrontation and at best initiate a search and at worst feel free to commit violence against said person.

pablito

Sacramento resident here. I remember being pulled over by a horse cop for jaywalking with like 100 people lol. Didn't get beat up though.

I'm half black

inky

Look at these brave warriors upholding the peace.

I love how 8 of them show up in the end there to arrest one subdued man for bullshit. Fucking gangsters.

Doomsayer

As far as I know there aren't laws for that.

Just another snowflake cop getting scared because of the black mans dehumanizing strut.

tirminyl

Jaywalking, that cop was looking for drama.

Real talk? We all know that throwing your coat on the ground means you feeling 🐸,too bad the officer was feeling the same.

Ekdrm2d1

"Shouldn't have been walkin' boy"

cf7.gif

I sometimes jay walk when it's more convenient.

Derwind

Wtf is wrong in this country where walking on the wrong part of the street is a fucking offense. Fuck America, man. The whole point of jaywalking laws is to protect people from fucking getting run over by cars, so what the fuck is the godamn point if you're gonna get your ass beaten for it. Hope this fucking cop rots in jail.

Exactly. Defeats the fucking purpose of the laws if when enforced your ass still gets beaten within an inch.

Cat Party

Jaywalking is enforced in some places (usually city centers) but it's hard to see this as anything but pretextual.

I'm just happy the guy didn't get shot for taking his jacket off.

Derwind

Jaywalking is enforced in some places (usually city centers) but it's hard to see this as anything but pretextual.

I'm just happy the guy didn't get shot for taking his jacket off.

Ive never seen jaywalking enforced in such a way that you get slammed to the ground as an end result.

Ekdrm2d1

Jaywalking on a residential street. If the world wasn't a smoldering ball of injustice they'd fire that dickhead.

Almost seems like harassment. Just trying to start a fight. Intimidation.

Wonder if there was any "real" crimes going on in Sacramento that the officer could have been attending to.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm always amazed at the number of pigs that show up when a black man "breaks" the law.

I jaywalked right in front of a cop just a few days ago and looked right at him and did the shrug and he laughed. Day went on as normal.

White - Canada.

This is some fuckin bullllshit.

I see shit like this and it gets my blood boiling. Blacks ain't worth shit in America and we're constantly reminded of it day in and day out. Goddamn pigs always doing blacks folks dirty.

Kadin

This video shows the jaywalking at an intersection of some sort further down the road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2E7aTsyowM

Here in the UK we don't have these laws. To us, the guy simply crossed the road.
Came to post this video. He really becomes heated when placed in the back of the car and rightfully so.

You can see him challenge the cop to fight him after he takes off the jacket but I'm not sure what followed was appropriate. Whole things sucks.

diehard

Fleer
How much hate am i going to get if i say something about how it looked like he was sizing him up taking his coat off like that?

(yes its still bullshit, i know)

Resisting arrest is the most meaningless shit there is.
Standing there and asking a question is resisting. Squirming a little when a cop starts hurting you is resisting.
Bleeding on a cop when they cut you is destruction of public property.

Verbally talking back can be considered "resisting". Asking questions can be seen as "resisting". Any furtive movements are considered "suspicious" and "threatening".

Cop put himself in a position where he felt he couldn't back down. I'm sure in their training they're told not to do this(back down) Any normal person would have just gave them a verbal warning or at least told them to be careful.

Moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom