• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacramento cop throwing black man to the ground for jaywalking

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDug13

I'm not even sure why jaywalking is even fucking illegal. Such a stupid American law.

We have had a lot of pedestrian deaths over the years. I think this was one of those laws enacted to try to curb risky behavior but has now turned into another minor infraction that can be used to shit on black people who violate it.

The shit should be a ticket and no other interaction from the cop. No search, no bullshit. Just hand them a ticket. Why does it even come to this level of BS for something that should be like speeding.

Squalor

People who are questioning jawalking laws have clearly never lived in or spent any time driving in a metropolitan where people cross streets with no regard.

That shit is dangerous and scary as the driver.

Crosswalks don't completely solve that, but at least it take s some uncertainty out of the equation because one expects people to be in or near a crosswalk as opposed to randomly crossing the street randomly at any point.

IISANDERII

polstat1.jpg

Keasar

People who are questioning jawalking laws have clearly never lived in or spent any time driving in a metropolitan where people cross streets with no regard.

That shit is dangerous and scary as the driver.

Crosswalks don't completely solve that, but at least it take s some uncertainty out of the equation because one expects people to be in or near a crosswalk as opposed to randomly crossing the street randomly at any point.

I still question it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxopfjXkArM

In Sweden, the only road you're not allowed to cross are motorways. Here we suffice with good education of the people telling them to be careful when crossing a street and encouraging to use zebra crossings when they are available nearby, but not enforcing them.

I'd say we're doing pretty well statistically with just that, even in high traffic areas like Stockholm or Göteborg. And our police resources go towards more constructive things other than stopping a person crossing a open street and beat them down if they're black.

Pics_nao

As a New Yorker who went out west for the first time last month, getting arrested or a ticket for jaywalking is so goddamn stupid.

Jaywalking always seemed like the weirdest fucking law but this takes the piss, its a small neighborhood looking place, fuck.

What is going on in these Cop's lives that make them so aggressive and mad? Its psychopathic.

M52B28

Banned
Listen to the audio. He tells the cop if he was a real man he'd fight him without his gun, or something like that. Right to have the cop lunge at him and start pounding away on him on the ground? I'm gonna say no, but again that's not the right way to hand it either so yeah.
I heard the video without audio, but if that's what he said, then he's a jackass. The worst thing to do to a white police officer as a black man is intentionally make them feel threatened, especially saying something like that.

The officer should have just dismissed it with a verbal warning and continued with his day, but I guess he felt like beating up on black people today.

Squalor

I still question it.

In Sweden, the only road you're not allowed to cross are motorways. Here we suffice with good education of the people telling them to be careful when crossing a street and encouraging to use zebra crossings when they are available nearby, but not enforcing them.

I'd say we're doing pretty well statistically with just that, even in high traffic areas like Stockholm or Göteborg. And our police resources go towards more constructive things other than stopping a person crossing a open street and beat them down if they're black.
Yeah, except that doesn't work in places like New York.

And as with everything Adam does, he ignores facts and statistics that don't fit his narrative.

Keasar

Yeah, except that doesn't work in places like New York.

And as with everything Adam does, he ignores facts and statistics that don't fit his narrative.

What's his "narrative"? I can understand if he would miss facts etc. and fail to include them but I don't see him having exactly a agenda.

As far as I saw, the story fits well with my understanding of early automobile history regarding the use of roads and lack of regulations with the new invention of the car.

This video shows the jaywalking at an intersection of some sort further down the road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2E7aTsyowM

Here in the UK we don't have these laws. To us, the guy simply crossed the road.

That didn't even look like jay walking. He was crossing the street at an intersection and there were even ramps there as if it was a cross walk. That looks like fucking stop and frisk type shit and is clearly profiling that man. And cops wonder why nobody likes them...

Ekdrm2d1

That didn't even look like jay walking. He was crossing the street at an intersection and there were even ramps there as if it was a cross walk. That looks like fucking stop and frisk type shit and is clearly profiling that man. And cops wonder why nobody likes them...

Thought about this but didn't want to say anything.

Very much so. He stopped him because he was black and thought he had drugs/weapons. Stop and Frisk.

TarNaru33

Banned
I still question it.

I am not sure if U.S with it's car culture can be compared to Sweden honestly. Like the things you mention, if you drove in NYC, you would probably hate pedestrians there lol.

JZA

Sad that white collar criminals have probably stolen more money than all black criminals in history, but you don't see Youtube videos of people in suits being thrown on the ground.

There was something similar to this last year where the sidewalk was blocked by construction so he had no choice but to walk in the street and that's when an unmarked Tahoe pulled up and started harassing him.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

A Sacramento Police officer is under criminal investigation for a "disturbing" incident, captured on two videos, in which he threw an accused jaywalker to the ground and punched him repeatedly.

The two-year veteran of the force, who has yet to be identified, has been placed on administrative leave with pay while his actions are under review.

"I thought I was going to be the next Trayvon Martin to be honest," Nandi Cain Jr., the accused jaywalker, said later in an interview with CNN affiliate KTXL.

Police released dashcam video of the confrontation, which occurred Monday after the officer exited his patrol car and approached Cain on a residential street in California's state capital.

In the video, the officer accuses Cain of jaywalking and orders him to stop. After Cain protests, "I looked both ways," and keeps walking, the officer says, "If you do not stop right now, I will take you to the ground."

The two men then enter the street. Cain can be heard saying he is unarmed. He removes his jacket and tells the officer to take off his gun "and fight me like a real man."

"I took off my jacket to let him know I don't have anything (like a weapon)," Cain said later in the KTXL interview.

A cellphone video, captured by neighbor Naomi Montaie, shows the officer then shoving Cain, slamming him to the ground and climbing on top of him, beating him repeatedly in the head.

Cain was taken to jail and charged with resisting arrest. He also had an outstanding warrant for another misdemeanor charge, police said.

The episode sparked outrage on social media after Montaie posted her video to Facebook.

But after police reviewed the dashcam video and Montaie's video, Monday's charges against Cain were dropped.

"The actions of the involved Sacramento Police Officer are disturbing and (do) not appear to be reasonable based upon the circumstances," the police department said in a statement. "The ... actions that were observed are not indicative of the dedicated women and men who work for the Department."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom