• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred Symbols |OT| PS, I Still Love You

sainraja

If this was 2013 you wouldn't be absurdly wrong.
The fact that since the PS5 has been announced Ive seen nothing on this forum but constant concern-trolling and bitching at Sony (only for Sony to prove them wrong literally every time - see the pricing speculation and that PS4 backwards compat was gonna suck) is getting really annoying. And then you see users like this, calling GAF "90% Sony defenders" even though most of the time its more obviously anti-Sony users just either concern-trolling or using extremely shaky sources to put the company down and level-headed users are being highly skeptical of it. I'm not a "Sony pony", for fucks sake I own a One X (and gamepass!) and a Switch as well and I primarily play games on PC. Sony has been consistently doing well for themselves since the PS1, and they certainly know not to do a repeat of the PS3's launch. Even though I will admit Sony's exclusives are slowly losing my interest (only ones that really grabbed me in recent years was Spider-Man, Sackboy, and Demon Souls funny enough) and I think TLoU2 should have made Sony completely restructure Naughty Dog (or at least fire Druckmann) after how much of an immature "fuck you" that was, they are doing just fine for themselves and they will continue to.

Literally all of you who are praising Microsoft's efforts while demonizing Sony are literally falling right into MS's hands. This is why they've been actively doing everything they can to appear pro-consumer; its literally how competition works in this industry. I really do appreciate some of these efforts (like the BC on Xbox is fantastic, gamepass on console is genuinely cool, mod support, etc), yall really gotta realize the second MS is top dog, they are just going to stop caring and fuck you over for every last $$. Look no further than the doubling of Xbox subscriptions, the only reason they walked that back was because they knew it was going to turn more people off than they thought. I'm not exactly targeting MS, this is just standard practice in business. You have to be realistic about this.

This is exactly why the Xbox One launched the way it did, because MS seriously thought their shit didnt stink because they were neck and neck with Sony last gen and they could get away with actively fucking over the customer at every turn. I don't see Sony doing anything like this, the CMOS battery on the PS4 does sound shitty (but it only would suck if one day PS4 servers would turn off) but its not even comparable to "oh yea so you can't share discs with anyone without paying for the license and we are charging our underpowered-even-for-2013 console for $500. Got a problem? Buy a 360 then.". The PS3 store situation does suck as well, but the PS3 store was a complete mess prior to this announcement so I'm not surprised, its really not worth fixing the broken as hell storefront for the minimal revenue it would produce. The PS3 was a remnant of a messy era for Sony, I'm not really surprised they want to just move on and forget about it. But this doesn't mean Sony is just being an arrogant asshole, its more that Microsoft just has better infrastructure to support BC and their older consoles, which makes sense given they were the pioneers of online console storefronts (dating back to the OG Xbox).

It feels like in this age you can't have a rational opinion anymore, everything has to be Twitter-level-emotionally-fueled drivel with zero nuance to it. I personally hope MS brings a genuinely unique variety of games to the table that forces Sony to compete again (PS2/PS3 era has an insane variety of exclusives, imo that was the peak for Sony exclusives just due to the sheer quality and amount of genres), but I'm holding my breath, considering the one thing MS has been consistently screwing up is the actual games they are producing. Great services are nice and all, but who the hell cares when you have absolutely no interesting exclusives to set you apart?
I agree with what you are trying to point out here but unfortunately this is the wrong crowd to point that out to. Most of the people here are just console warring.

Last edited:
Let me summarise then. He goes on about:

1) 'Xbox has more money to throw around and is exposing Sony'
- Xbox has always had more money. More money doesn't guarantee success.

2) 'PlayStation more vulnerable now because of the above'
- LOL ok

3) 'Xbox tweets more. More vocal with the fans'
- LOL really ??!! And this means PS is doomed?

4) 'I turn on the PS5 and I don't see anything I want to play'
- There's such a thing as Covid going around you tit. Try turning on an Xbox. There are no games for either platform to get really excited about. It's a 3rd party/BC buffet until Covid passes and countries get out of lockdown.

5) 'Your games are being delayed. You can't manufacture enough consoles to sell'
Again, there's fucking Covid. Everyone is struggling to develop games to meet their deadlines or target dates. Also there's a shortage of components to manufacture these consoles.

About the only valid point he makes that is worthy of complaints is the PS3/Vita store fiasco. In between the above points is rambling on about past Sony games and how that got people excited.

This dude is just another PS fanboy who can't help crying into his pillow at night. A quite miserable sack.

Last edited:
FMkhPUX.png

Isn’t that the whole point, or am I missing something? Whether they turn out good or bad, Sony have Returnal and R&C releasing in the next couple of months. As a PS5 owner, I have something to look forward to in the short term. That is the simple reason why I was attracted to the PS5 over the Series X.

This would be the same for me.
Its annoying for sure that the only real quality exclusive since December is Demon's Souls.

I was lucky enough that I skipped the PS4 Pro so PS5 is at least offering an upgrade on some games I already played, Dark Souls 3 being the best example for me. The PS+ Collection has games I never played before so OK it is getting me through.

In proper context though if I am looking for videogame console and want good performance AAA content then my choices are PS5 or Series X.

I wish that Series X had launched with Halo Infinite and really given me a decision to make but as it stands I think PS5 is still the most sensible choice for me.

Massively disappointed that we haven't seen more legitimately impressive next-gen stuff. I'll pay for Returnal because there just isn't anything else and that's pretty poor from Sony. It's still the best console option right now, despite all that.

Alright

Banned

About the only valid point he makes that is worthy of complaints is the PS3/Vita store fiasco. In between the above points is rambling on about past Sony games and how that got people excited
Funny thing is, the vast majority of what is tweeted is bollocks anyway.

Memba Arron greenbergs tweets before the ass creed showing? Saying there was gunna be xbox gameplay, and there wasn't, it was PC? Then he apologised, said he's listened to fans, then showed a sizzle real of "everything is running pc"?

I Memba.

5) is the best though. He complains not enough PS5s are been made, then complains he has a PS5 he doesn't even use. Give it away then you bell end!!

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sony should have focused more on PS3 emulation and less on PS5 games. I'm done, it's just gonna be me & my SeX this gen, anyone want to buy a heavily used PS5 Demon' Souls & Miles for $750-800?
Not sure why this is a point of pride :messenger_tears_of_joy: do you think PC players would be ok losing their entire gaming library as soon as they upgrade their GPU? To be honest it’s always been a massive joke, Xbox only made strides recently but Sony and Nintendo may as well pull their trousers down and drop a steaming shit on my chest with their policies. Funnily enough if the PS5 had PS3 compatibility you wouldn’t have had to spend £70 on Demon’s Souls :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
You know shits bad when a ps fanboy makes a pretty well articulated video about why Sony is shitting the bed
I know shit is bad when I see shit is bad. Not when some internet personality tells me it's bad. Doubly so when the narrative of "he's a PS fan, saying anything bad must be true!"

Jason stood by his news article, it's not crap as you put it.

As Jeff Ross stood by his interview with Jaffe.

LOL " will only give these people more attention for spreading their crap"

Spreading their crap means like this youtube video, concern threads here on GAF, concern articles, your posts left and right, yeah. If Sony gave a comment regarding Jason article, there surely will be more crap around. Luckily, like Jeff said, Sony is smart not commenting it.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

I think Colin is overreacting a bit (it's a bit early to be so down on the PS5), but that recent article and Sony's behavior as of late doesn't exactly instill faith in the brand. Looking at the moves Microsoft are making, they're righting the ship at least and thinking longer term.

playstation being doomed is the hot topic right now! everyones jumping in on it. i predict it will swing back around to xbox after their next showing because their games will still be far off. all of a sudden. " can microsoft rely on gamepass until their games are ready?". they do this because they themselves have a business to run. they need clicks, views and patreons. i would be doing the exact same if i had a youtube channel or podcast. you dont have to look far back to see this exact scenario happening or have you all forgotten how doomed sony was for the first half of last year? than halo infinte happened! all of a sudden " what is going on at xbox"! man ya'll fall for it everytime. overreaction and negativity bring in viewers!

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
People looking at any sign to make drama.
This wont go well, 90% of GAF are upset by anything that knocks Sony.
the same can be applied to any fans from other brands... lately Gaf seems to be MS land tho, nobody can even talk about MS without having 6 fans attacking you.

1) 'Xbox has more money to throw around and is exposing Sony'
- Xbox has always had more money. More money doesn't guarantee success.

2) 'PlayStation more vulnerable now because of the above'
- LOL ok

4) 'I turn on the PS5 and I don't see anything I want to play'
- There's such a thing as Covid going around you tit. Try turning on an Xbox. There are no games for either platform to get really excited about. It's a 3rd party/BC buffet until Covid passes and countries get out of lockdown.

5) 'Your games are being delayed. You can't manufacture enough consoles to sell'
Again, there's fucking Covid. Everyone is struggling to develop games to meet their deadlines or target dates. Also there's a shortage of components to manufacture these consoles.

About the only valid point he makes that is worthy of complaints is the PS3/Vita store fiasco. In between the above points is rambling on about past Sony games and how that got people excited.

This dude is just another PS fanboy who can't help crying into his pillow at night. A quite miserable sack.

Honestly I think both consoles should have just delayed their launch for a few months.

It's been a pretty poor launch. The crazy demand is kind of funny in context. People going crazy to buy consoles that mostly are just playing last generations games with better performance.

Cornbread78

Not sure why this is a point of pride :messenger_tears_of_joy: do you think PC players would be ok losing their entire gaming library as soon as they upgrade their GPU? To be honest it’s always been a massive joke, Xbox only made strides recently but Sony and Nintendo may as well pull their trousers down and drop a steaming shit on my chest with their policies. Funnily enough if the PS5 had PS3 compatibility you wouldn’t have had to spend £70 on Demon’s Souls :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I got DS for $46, Boom!

I think Colin is overreacting a bit (it's a bit early to be so down on the PS5), but that recent article and Sony's behavior as of late doesn't exactly instill faith in the brand. Looking at the moves Microsoft are making, they're righting the ship at least and thinking longer term.
A bit?

He actually complains about Sony not making enough PS5's, games being delayed and not being excited enough to turn on his PS5 among other things.

Because Xbox is more vocal on their plans doesn't mean PS is sat in a corner twiddling their thumbs. Don't you think its a bit pre-mature to sing doom and gloom if we don't even know PS future plans for PS5?
There is a plan for the console. Sony's just not ready to reveal that yet. I don't get why this is getting everyone's knickers in a twist.

A bit?

He actually complains about Sony not making enough PS5's, games being delayed and not being excited enough to turn on his PS5 among other things.

Because Xbox is more vocal on their plans doesn't mean PS is sat in a corner twiddling their thumbs. Don't you think its a bit pre-mature to sing doom and gloom if we don't even know PS future plans for PS5?
There is a plan for the console. Sony's just not ready to reveal that yet. I don't get why this is getting everyone's knickers in a twist.
There is also the tiny little thing that he's forgetting which is...THERE'S A FUCKING PANDEMIC WHICH IS FUCKING ALL SUPPLY CHAINS! Also I can't believe the fact that gamers are now wanting to be coddled and be whispered sweet nothings by CEO's to convince themselves they made the right choice instead of letting them, I don't know, making fucking video games instead.

I never imagined having haze and lair could be spun into a positive but their it is!😅
This whole video gave me a big WTF face especially when it came to mentioning those fucking games which pretty much was a disaster on PS3.

What self respecting PS fan will try to spin fucking Lair as a positive. Jesus christ.

There is also the tiny little thing that he's forgetting which is...THERE'S A FUCKING PANDEMIC WHICH IS FUCKING ALL SUPPLY CHAINS! Also I can't believe the fact that gamers are now wanting to be coddled and be whispered sweet nothings by CEO's to convince themselves they made the right choice instead of letting them, I don't know, making fucking video games instead.
Exactly.

I've bought an Xbox but only because access to cheap games for now and I accidentally cleaned my PS4 Pro. I would invest in a PS5 if it was readily available cause I'm not paying a scalper a dime over retail for one but i'm patient for a PS5 and i will get one.
These podcast cocks who've been so called fans for years can't even show faith in the brand. You know Sony will deliver. They've done so for decades. All of a sudden you should be worried about the brand. GTFO

Inclined to think this video is just clickbait leeching off the 'negative' PS coverage going around.

Last edited:

Indyblue

I don’t really disagree but at the same time, Xbox and Nintendo don’t have much announced or recently released either. So I don’t find any of the consoles to be very exciting at the moment.

LastBattle

Ask yourself this. Did MS pulled it because they were nice or because they were grilled to the ground for wanting to have this?

And no. DRM wasn't the only negative point of MS back in those days
It doesn’t matter. What does matter is they listened to the feedback and reversed the decision.

Honestly what on earth is colin pratterling on about.

He's bringing up infamous and uncharted they didn't come out until 2007 and 2008. There was fuck all to play in the first 6 months on the ps3...and ps4 he must have the short term memory of a goldfish.

There's tons of exclusives annouced 1st party and otherwise why is he being obtuse?

Seriously all this drama because sony decided to ditch a sequel to there most bland first party title in years.

Where have some of you been? This is what sony does.Where's killzone, resistance, infamous, Jak and daxter, warhawk etc.etc

All ditched to try something new and I am happy they did because better games came afterwards. ( or the studios got shuttered but whatever swings and roundabouts)

ManaByte

He's bringing up infamous and uncharted they didn't come out until 2007 and 2008. There was fuck all to play in the first 6 months on the ps3...and ps4 he must have the short term memory of a goldfish.

There's tons of exclusives annouced 1st party and otherwise why is he being obtuse?

Seriously all this drama because sony decided to ditch a sequel to there most bland first party title in years.

Where have some of you been? This is what sony does.Where's killzone, resistance, infamous, Jak and daxter, warhawk etc.etc

All ditched to try something new and I am happy they did because better games came afterwards. ( or the studios got shuttered but whatever swings and roundabouts)

He also talks about how Sony sold them a Vita devkit, and then immediately announced they were shutting down the Vita store.

Keihart

Yeah, i don't think so. Maybe that's the only one thing that stood up for you, but it's been a pretty consistent stream of turds. I won't list them, there are a bunch of threads about them already.

As oppposed to Xbox where you play all those new games ..oh wait lol
Xbox has GamePass so there's that. I mean sure they don't have new exclusive games but with gamepass anyone is able to access a large library to keep them occupied but yes i do agree with our overall point that there's nothing special to play on Xbox too.

Both platforms is dead right now. Fuck you Covid.

Last edited:
I don’t really disagree but at the same time, Xbox and Nintendo don’t have much announced or recently released either. So I don’t find any of the consoles to be very exciting at the moment.
This exactly should be the focus of most youtubers but instead they make it seem like one platform is dominating the charts and the other is going out of business whereas the reality is that both currently don't have much to offer in the way of new experiences.

I don't count running old games at 4K/60FPS as new experiences. It's a bonus yes but people buy new consoles to play new gen games.

Last edited:

C4.lukin

Banned
The Playstation brand just has an incredible bit of mindshare, no matter how much they fuck up. The PS3. was a mess and they still almost sold 100 million consoles.

But yeah recently, outside of those first party studios, not a lot of cool ideas or consumer friendly stuff coming from Playstation.

It feels like the whole arrogance talk is real. And that is not something that encompasses all of the studios and thousands of workers... Just a couple of douche bags on top.

Last edited:

LastBattle

I agree, Sony’s PS5 start is fairly
Par for the course and not too different to similar launches of any console really (apart from a couple of PR blunders). However what I think is happening is there is a stark contrast when compared next to Xbox’s launch, the acquisitions, exciting news, constant gamepass developments, continual communication with fans, etc, etc and its making PS5’s
Launch appear lacklustre in contrast.
Lacklustre

The Playstation brand just has an incredible bit of mindshare, no matter how much they fuck up. The PS3. was a mess and they still almost sold 100 million consoles.

But yeah recently, outside of those first party studios, not a lot of cool ideas or consumer friendly stuff coming from Playstation.

It feels like the whole arrogance talk is real. And that is not something that encompasses all of the studios and thousands of workers... Just a couple of douche bags on top.
If you think this is arrogance, you really didn't remember Sony during the reveal of the PS3. Then there's this about PS5.
"The track record of the incumbent platform winning the next time around is not a great one," Jim Ryan says. "So the major thrust of my executive energy is to avoid complacency."
https://www.wired.com/story/playstation-now-updates/

Sony has been quiet for months now. Keen to hear what cool idea's they have shared with us so far cause IMO I've not seen or heard of any updates on future PS5 services.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
You know shits bad when a ps fanboy makes a pretty well articulated video about why Sony is shitting the bed

most of you probably won’t even watch the vid but he makes some very good points
What people are forgetting is Colin always been critical of PS, that is what a true fans is, critical of the brand because they want the best for them and the rest of the gamers. Fanboys do not care, they will give excuses for the brand.

That is why we have console wars. So yeah most people here will not see the video and just use it for ammo against the "other team"

rolandss

The decisions that Sony has made are in isolation, overblown non-issues that are getting traction because we’re in a gaming news desert at the moment as we transition to a new gen. They’re just losing the PR battle of late because MS has made a bunch of great announcements in this time to fill the void and position themselves as actual competition this gen, and Sony haven’t been able to respond. When Sony announce their Gamepass alternative and we get a couple big game announcements we’ll be seeing articles and threads about how Sony is “back” and this generation is “heating up to be a real showdown” and all the typical recycled console war stories.

Last edited:

Keihart

Sony has been quiet for months now. Keen to hear what cool idea's they have shared with us so far cause IMO I've not seen or heard of any updates on future PS5 services.
Not even a blip, i mentioned in another thread how stark contrast is Shuhei's presence now, he went from PS front man, to wholesome PS twitter man.
I'm the most excited for what his department will develop into, if he really has been given a valued role, he might have some cool surprises in the works and maybe even compensate a little for the Japan Studios co-production efforts.
I hope so, at least.

Last edited:

twilo99

More xbox propaganda right?

Edit: If anyone is too young to know. Colin was one of the founders of the biggest gaming podcast (Podcast Beyond!) and known PlayStation fan, this is a clip from Sacred Symbols, arguably the biggest PS podcast.

Not a random youtube clickbait channel.

an active and assertive competitor.. sure, but that's really new. Microsoft has been dormant in the gaming space for a decade.

jaysius

Banned
OSJs(Obsessive Sony Jingos) at it again, thinking they understand the business and somehow have a crystal ball into the future plans for the company. Youtubers stirring them up because they've found a new content well, while the OSJ's think:
rich gold GIF by Offset

In reality its:
Poop Pooping GIF by swerk

This is what a corporation that is "winning" looks like, it'll do what it needs to, to maintain it's lead at this point it doesn't seem like it needs to do very much, so that's what it'll continue to do. OSJs are just upset because they don't have "victories" everyday now, and that's the issue with this type of obsessive, they move on from one "win" to another, and well there isn't "ANOTHER" for a hot second, jesus E3ish announcements are around the corner.

It's ok, don't worry yourselves with it, you'll never get to the level where you do any harm anyway.

This is mental illness, it's semi-entertaining but people need to step away from the message boards and relax.

Last edited:
Top Bottom