• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV Review Thread

Does seem to be the case unfortunately. GB quick look seems to indicate it runs like garbage on consoles, with the framerate sometimes being to erratic to gauge jumps accurately, according to Jeff.

Sucks as I had to move to a laptop (moved to a smaller room) and am going to have to go with a PS3 version. Having said that, PSNation did not reference any glaringly obvious issues, with frame rates. However, I can see how going from PC to console, would make the issue more evident.

sunnz

I noticed I can get this game, at release, cheaper on the console than on PC ( £35 on steam, £27 at GMG for the console version)

Pretty annoying, at that price it would probably be day 1 on the PC for me.

Anyone know of a cheaper PC price?

Should we still expect your Game of the Generation unboxing today DeadlyCyclone (saw you mention it on the Saints Row forum), or did you mean that would be coming on a later date?

This is how I feel about Saints Row IV. THUMBS UP.

my-great-game-my-great-capture-2013-08-14-02-02-41.png

Thoughts (not a general review, just observations on what I thought was fun (I say that word a lot in this))
First ten minutes (plus I'm livestreaming it at 5pm BST/12pm EST/9am PST today which'll take place after the video - I'll link again nearer the time and in the OT)

H3xum

Kinda sortaish off of topic

Does anyone know how Microsoft handles digital distribution currently? Will I be able to download the game anytime soon? I have a bunch of xbox points I want to use

Does anyone know how Microsoft handles digital distribution currently? Will I be able to download the game anytime soon? I have a bunch of xbox points I want to use

They very rarely, if ever, do digital day and date releases.

I hope it's much better than sr3

After starting a second playthrough of sr3 with the humble bundle(friend bought it so we were gona coop) I couldn't even make it 3 hours in, game has just zero replay value and the shooting is still really bad.

I thought it was ok the first time through but that was probably because of my extremely low expectations due to the marketing and low standards coming from gta4

Has anyone reviewed this on pc yet? Does it run better than sr3? sr3 ran better than at release for me now, but still only 28-45 fps (vs 20-35 fps at the broken ass release), which is not very playable at all.
Also with the poor draw distance and popin etc sr3 has aged very very poorly graphically.

Sojgat

You'll be waiting at least 3 months sadly (Metro: Last Light is one of the On Demand releases for this week).

Microsoft has a product for people who want day 1 digital releases, it's called the Xbox One.

I got sooooo tired of SR3 after a while, and could not finish the campaign. Started strong then ran out of steam somewhere down the line.

So I'll be keeping an eye out for opinions from those who feel the same way.

Reviewers, hows melee in this game? I notice in GB's review, there is a beam katana looking thing. And I assume there are still the running wrestling moves.

chris121580

I always find it hard to take IGN scores seriously. Why is it a 7.3 and not a 7.4?

I also feel like this guy was probably not the ideal person to review the game based on his comments. Reviews never affect how I feel about a game but I found his entire point of view to be pretty insufferable. Everything he complained about is what makes Saints Row so much fun to play

Sober

I also feel like this guy was probably not the ideal person to review the game based on his comments. Reviews never affect how I feel about a game but I found his entire point of view to be pretty insufferable. Everything he complained about is what makes Saints Row so much fun to play
Yeah I feel like maybe Dan Stapleton prefers something more cerebral over something like even thinking of touching SR4. Even from a small sample of some of the reviews some of the people reviewing it are pretty much into the goofy wacky shit Saints Row is now known for.

Got it coming from GameFly next week. I had such a blast with SR III, and saw SRIV in action at Comic Con, I'm glad to see it get high scores.

Wow, that's a lot of praise. I'm on vacation next week, gonna see how lost I can get in this insanity.

Bummed to hear about console framerate issues, but I imagine I'll double dip on PC down the line anyways.

crayman

Argh, it's killing me that it's £39.99 on Steam, but Amazon have it for £30 on 360/PS3. It's usually the other way around...

I just want to cry when I see anything about SR4.
Im so mad at my countrys stupid laws (Australia) on how drugs are portrayed in games and the subsequent banning of the international version here.
I dont even care about the drugs being taken out, though the loss of the anal probe is pretty annoying. My main issue is being unable to play online with foreign players because the nerfed Aus version is incompatible.
I already thought the game would be great but seeing the good review scores just makes me angrier and more jealous of the rest of the world.
Must be nice to live in a country where your government treats you like adults :mad:

sunnz

Argh, it's killing me that it's £39.99 on Steam, but Amazon have it for £30 on 360/PS3. It's usually the other way around...

It's £27 on GMG for consoles, probably lower with the code ( if that works)

Kinda sad, at £29, I would have considered it day 1 for PC.

this is from giantbomb, "The frame rate of Saints Row: The Third wasn't pretty on consoles"

I played quite a bit of SR3 on ps3 and I didnt notice any problems....was i by myself in this?

I guess I'm gonna have to live with some "performance issues".

Next gen can not come soon enough. Still really looking forward to this game, issues and all.

Sojgat

I just want to cry when I see anything about SR4.
Im so mad at my countrys stupid laws (Australia) on how drugs are portrayed in games and the subsequent banning of the international version here.
I dont even care about the drugs being taken out, though the loss of the anal probe is pretty annoying. My main issue is being unable to play online with foreign players because the nerfed Aus version is incompatible.
I already thought the game would be great but seeing the good review scores just makes me angrier and more jealous of the rest of the world.
Must be nice to live in a country where your government treats you like adults :mad:

Import, then wait for all the out of touch politicians to grow old and die.

Definitely getting better scores than I anticipated. I expected reviews to be all "Fun, but flawed" or "A delightfully over the top experience that ends too swiftly and still suffers from the same flaws as previous entries".

I might give this a rent.

There's some spoilers in the rev3 vid, sounds like this is gonna be a hell of a ride. Been hyped for a while now and this just makes the next week even longer:(

epmode

That RPS review got me to buy this game now rather than wait for a sale.

It's so nice to see what this series became after I was so disgusted by the first game.

Kukuk

Banned
Man, this is getting great reviews. I figured the zaniness of the game would turn a lot of reviewers away. Glad to see that's not the case!

Saints Row was born of Grand Theft Auto, but although both feature open cities and freeform violence, they’ve diverged. Grand Theft Auto is desperate to be a film, to be satire, to be an experience. Saints Row IV wants to be a game, and by showing its heartfelt love for the medium, it’s become something wonderful.

Ugh, what a terribly single minded perspective.

v0mitg0d

Should I put this here or the official thread? Guessing here. Ok here we go. Remember these are just my opinions--not facts. It's subjective and my opinions may not be like other reviewers.

• Saints Row 4 is just a wonderfully huge sandbox of absolute gameplay joy. It's bigger than life, and there's no way you're prepared for it.
  • For the other Crackdown fans out there, this is the closest thing we've got to a Crackdown 3...at least until it's official announcements. For me it is, by far, more enjoyable than Crackdown 2.
  • The game really nails traversal. It's more exciting than anything else out there, including inFAMOUS and Prototype. It's nothing but pure joy to jump and soar around looking for events and collectibles.
  • I played it on the PC and it looks great with everything cranked up, however I recommend the low setting for ambient occlusion. Everything else maxed out.
  • Indeed the game crashed on my 3 times out of 20+ hours of gameplay. Since I've had my review copy the game has been patched twice already. No crashes since second patch.
  • The narrative is campy & mostly fun--kinda like a snowcone--but make no mistake, SR4 is mostly about it's smattering of absurd gameplay/mechanics.
  • One of the thing is does well is mock other games like the Mass Effect series. It's great, you'll see.
  • Saints Row 4 comes at a great time. Between The Last of Us & other serious games, it's a nice little weekend ice-cream treat after a long work week.
  • I did not love all the events. There were 2 in particular I thought we just ok.

Top Bottom