• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakura Wars 2 (Fan) Translation Project Announcement

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper

This trailer is to announce that we are officially working on Sakura Wars 2. The project has been in the works for about a year and a half now, and we're finally at a point where we're comfortable with announcing it. To give you all a taste, we have translated and released the original demo of the game that was released a few months before the final game release in 1998.

Super excited for this. Played the first one emulated but will be playing this on real hardware.

The translation scene these days is incredible. Two games always stood out to me in the 90s as games I wanted to play but figured I never would be able to - Racing Lagoon and Sakura Wars - and in the past two years BOTH of them have been translated to English.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
We knew this but nice trailer.

I hadn't checked the game in detail and thought it's almost 1:1 with the first, what are those seemingly real time 3D koubu (the awesum steampunk & spirit powered mechs) models shown used for? They look cool but the battle scenes shown seem to use the same 2D visuals (sprites out of renders etc.) of the first game. Or do they? Maybe they're for flashy special attacks? I thought only the Dreamcast and later sequels had 3D but these look great as precursors to those.

If only teams like this and Bulk Slash's were doing Princess Crown instead of whoever had dibs on it a decade now. If it doesn't release this year and just teases fans again with how it's almost, almost 100% done but life etc., other folks will hopefully finally say fuck it and work on it independently.

Folks should watch the original anime series too, it's pretty fun and less haremy without the dating sim stuff (duh, non interactive medium), more about bonds and friendship between them all (which the game also has but there are often clearly meant to he flirty options even after you've settled on one so can't go far with the others). I don't enjoy the characters and themes of later stuff as much but they're probably good too if you look up the order to watch and play it all in.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Keep this thread up.

(I just need that link to copy over to Sega so they can send that cease and desist)
Why would they if they didn't for the first game and some spin offs which were known before release too, as well as loads of other since completed and ongoing translations? Don't be silly.

EDMIX

This is amazing.

Hopefully someday even Sakura 3 can be fan-translated. We can dream.....

Didn't the last one Sega did do pretty well?

Maybe they'll do some collection and port or remaster all of theses to get people up to speed. We can only hope.

edit.

yea so....I don't now if thats good, bad lol

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
yea so....I don't now if thats good, bad lol
Those numbers are outdated. Here's from the last report
So, from 4.1 (2019) to 5.8 (2022) means it's doing reasonably well.

image.png

EDMIX

It was closed down June 2021.

2021 reports 5.1 sales/downloads.
So at least some 700k were not from mobile sales.

Either way, I hope it becomes a standard thing that we see that series ported more often to the west.

I hope Sega does a whole campaign like they did on Yakuza and get us some remakes, remasters and get everyone up to speed lol

I suspect they are doing that with Persona though as I predicted maybe they'd do the same with Persona this gen, that they did for Yakuza last gen and so far...they seem to be going in that direction with the ports of Persona 5, Strikers, Persona 3 and 4.

That means we might see a Persona 1 or 2 remake down the line.

Regardless, I feel the same can be done with Sakura Wars to get new comers up to speed as not to have them feel they NEEEEED to know the whole series years prior to care about any of the new games. Look at the wonders that Yakuza Zero, remake 1 and 2 did for the series. Something is scary about seeing a 5 or 6 behind a game and be like "hope you like it" lol

Top Bottom