• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai: Manga Characters Absolutely Not Allowed To Join Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://nintendosoup.com/sakurai-ma...ot-allowed-to-join-super-smash-bros-ultimate/

In the official interview, Masahiro Sakurai said it was impossible for manga characters to join the roster of the Super Smash Bros. series. This comes after many requests were made by Japanese fans. Ten years after this comment was made, it seems Sakurai hasn’t changed his stance, as he wants to keep Super Smash Bros. strictly for video game characters.

We leave you with the full translation (translated by NintendoSoup) below:

“It is impossible for manga characters to join (Super Smash Bros.).​
While we can accept characters from other companies, we cannot, under any circumstances, take in anything and everything under the sky. That’s because (Super Smash Bros.) is a game that requires everyone’s cooperation.”​

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
"Host: I see. But we did get a lot of questions like, “Why wasn’t Krystal a playable character?”

Sakurai: It’s not that I don’t understand how that feels, but if you start saying that, it becomes “Why isn’t Waddle Dee playable?” or Dry Bones, or Baby Peach. There’d be no end to it.
"
Quit being a hypocrite and get it over with.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
We have Jump Force for the manga characters.
Just one wouldn't hurt.
banner_2089.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just one wouldn't hurt.
banner_2089.jpg
Don't get me wrong I would like to see manga characters in Smash, but if Sakurai is against it then there nothing we can do. But we at least have Jump Force for manga characters fight each other.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
"Host: I see. But we did get a lot of questions like, “Why wasn’t Krystal a playable character?”

Sakurai: It’s not that I don’t understand how that feels, but if you start saying that, it becomes “Why isn’t Waddle Dee playable?” or Dry Bones, or Baby Peach. There’d be no end to it.
"
But isn’t he right in this case? Asking for Isaac from Golden Sun is a good example. I have no idea who that is and I’ve been a Nintendo fan for 32 years. The obscure character requests are getting old. Let the man do what his team thinks is best.

Unless you’re joking.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
But isn’t he right in this case? Asking for Isaac from Golden Sun is a good example.
I think you're the one joking around here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
https://nintendosoup.com/sakurai-ma...ot-allowed-to-join-super-smash-bros-ultimate/

In the official interview, Masahiro Sakurai said it was impossible for manga characters to join the roster of the Super Smash Bros. series. This comes after many requests were made by Japanese fans. Ten years after this comment was made, it seems Sakurai hasn’t changed his stance, as he wants to keep Super Smash Bros. strictly for video game characters.

We leave you with the full translation (translated by NintendoSoup) below:

“It is impossible for manga characters to join (Super Smash Bros.).​
While we can accept characters from other companies, we cannot, under any circumstances, take in anything and everything under the sky. That’s because (Super Smash Bros.) is a game that requires everyone’s cooperation.”​

i cant understand why people want Goku in Smash Brothers (is not the same Universe manga-game)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This might be little off topic but after this game I actually like Sakurai take a break from Smash make sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising or whole new IP.

Fbh

Makes sense, although it has been 10 years so who knows what he might think now.

Still , I never quite got why so many people wanted Goku in Smash.

We have Jump Force for the manga characters.

I still keep hoping that they will some day do an HD game in the style of Jump Ultimate Stars (DS game). I'd even be ok if they kept the 2D graphics if it helps keep the budget down while having lots of characters.

But they keep making crappy 3D fighters

Hudo

I mean, it is clear what he wanted to say when the trailer showed "Everyone is here!". It's was his way of telling us to fuck off and he's right.

ar0s

Agreed. Manga characters in Smash would really damage its appeal. There's some huge name video game characters not in the game. The last thing it needs is more manga style swordsmen. How many FE representatives are there, like 12? It's insane.

Android25

Neo Member

"
He should've said i don't want yiff in my games

royox

Asking for Isaac from Golden Sun is a good example. I have no idea who that is and I’ve been a Nintendo fan for 32 years.

We got a lot of "literally who" character from Fire Emblem games from FE games that weren't even released out of Japan. Golden Sun was released everywhere in gba and I'm sure more people know Isaac than Marth, Roy or even Shulk from Xenoblade.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I guess that he meant that Smash are for gaming characters. If you want manga, Jump exists

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
Fanboys are the worst. Curb your manga character, smash is a homage to the japanese gaming culture. Yeah, shovel Knight and other Western charcs can appear, but it is mainly a niponic-centred representation

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
He should've said i don't want yiff in my games
You'd have a point if he didn't add two in as some of the last disappointing characters.

iconmaster

Banned
While he probably hasn't changed his mind, pulling an interview from ten years ago feels like someone stretching to put the issue to rest. (I sympathize, though.)

Last edited:

Akuza89

As cool as it would be for goku to appear or someone to appear, I understand why not.

Besides that its the ultimate video game cross over not cross over as a whole... so it is again understandable.

Good. There are already too many, almost incoherent characters in Smash, wouldn't want it to become the trash deposit of any fans requests like it was a Mugen mod.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Top Bottom