• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai talks about Kid Icarus Uprising's development [Game Concepts]

3DS is the only nintendo handheld I never got. Still don't like that I can't play this game or the Metroid 2 remake.
I practically grew up on that Metroid 2 on gameboy.

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Kid Icarus Uprising is the definition underrated. This game is most polished, packed with content and most fun handheld game I ever experienced.

I might not have issue with controls like most people did but I agree video I posted above is that Uprising is too big for 3DS. This game straight up AAA console game on handheld.

ZoukGalaxy

And the soundtrack please, another (orchestral/mixed) GEM. It's a 3DS GAME, damn it ! 🙀

2 samples, beware of titles spoiler if you care and wants to play it.

Last edited:

Drell

Am I the only one who loved the control scheme? I mean, it's the closest thing we can have to mouse + keyboard. Ok it's exhausting after long session, but play it bits by bits and you have controls far more precise than twin sticks.

ZoukGalaxy

Am I the only one who loved the control scheme? I mean, it's the closest thing we can have to mouse + keyboard. Ok it's exhausting after long session, but play it bits by bits and you have controls far more precise than twin sticks.
Cats Hugging GIF

Not alone.
I loved too Metroid Prime Hunters (DS) controls with the stylus, it was awesome and immersive.

Last edited:

Danjin44

You are absolulty NOT ALONE, especially in higher intensity you NEED precision of stylus.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oddly enough, I wasn’t a huge fan of the inertia-based swiping in the game, but I loved everything else.

IMO, Metroid Prime Hunters still has the best portable controls for FPS/TPS. I’m probably in the minority on that, though.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
My favorite portable game of all time. I played this game a lot in my office bathroom.

Kid Icarus Uprising and Killzone Mercenary are the two best portable experiences ever, imo. Both did what I wanted perfectly. I wanted truly fun gameplay, great visuals and short sessions that didn’t waste my time.

Naked Lunch

Kid Icarus needed the Super Metroid treatment on SNES...and it never happened.

The NES original is still one of my all time favorite games.
Cant speak for Uprising - never played it.

JimboJones

I never did play it as I was put off by the control scheme plus being left handed and the non symmetrical layout of the 3DS made the situation seem even worse.
Any lefties here who played it?

Zannegan

I hope the next gen Joycon have A. greatly improved tracking, so we can simulate IR pointing, and/or B. (a long shot) Steam Deck-like touchpads on the opposite end from the Joystick. I also want them a bit chunkier, more akin to the Wiimote, though not quite that big.

Either solution would make an Uprising port significantly easier to handle and play at higher difficulties than relying just on joysticks and gyros...
...which also sounds like a fantastic monthly event centered around fighting games and Greek cuisine. Someone get on it.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Hated the control scheme with twin sticks but was fine with stylus just not convenient. Read there's a mod for 3ds that fixed the control scheme. Even tried getting it working but didn't. Love the slider to pick your risk/reward for the difficulty.

Sgt.Asher

Definitely needs a switch port. Gyro controls are more than enough to compensate for the stylus, and the ground combat controls can be vastly improved.

Synless

Game had some great visuals at times. However the real standout is that OST, fucking great.

To this day I am the only living, non-internet person I’ve met whose played this fucking game.

Sakurai better get his ass moving on his next game if he’s not working on Smash DLC.

Zannegan

Hated the control scheme with twin sticks but was fine with stylus just not convenient. Read there's a mod for 3ds that fixed the control scheme. Even tried getting it working but didn't. Love the slider to pick your risk/reward for the difficulty.
Even though the game is almost 100% linear, the risk/reward mechanic made it so replayable. You could go through the same level multiple times and raising the difficulty would make it fresh again. Plus you had an overall currency that carried over between runs and could earn stronger weapons by challenging yourself.

It's such a great mechanic. I wish more linear games with loot/gear would use it.

Danjin44

Even though the game is almost 100% linear, the risk/reward mechanic made it so replayable. You could go through the same level multiple times and raising the difficulty would make it fresh again. Plus you had an overall currency that carried over between runs and could earn stronger weapons by challenging yourself.

It's such a great mechanic. I wish more linear games with loot/gear would use it.
Not to mention the intensity gates, you want to replay levels in higher intensity in order to access those gates, it was great idea.

Banned
Definitely needs a switch port. Gyro controls are more than enough to compensate for the stylus, and the ground combat controls can be vastly improved.

they would need to replace the camera system on the ground with a more traditional one tho.
as a moving reticle and moving camera at the same time doesn't work well with gyro

Top Bottom