• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Sales Age) Earnings time again (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, UBI)

Hey guys I don't know how many of you are in the hedge fund/investment management industry - but I run a pretty large portfolio for some clients and just thought I'd share my thinking around how I size up earnings/financial results. Obviously I don't want to get too technical with the earnings since there are thousands of ways to interpret it, so let me just be brief and speak on specific operational issues. I'd love to get some feedback from anyone here who actually knows what they are talking about (fanboys please don't comment if you don't know what a balance sheet is or what liquidity means).

I just opened a massive short position on ATVI and a massive long position on ERTS

ATVI balance sheet = crap - they have 9 billion in assets labeled as Goodwill based on the reverse merger with Blizzard, unfortunately the forward P/E on the merger valuation Goodwill is based on valuations from pre-September levels at the peak of media tech cycle. ATVI was essentially cashless prior to injection by Vivendi, they are burning through cash at a ridiculous rate even despite beating revenue projections by 40% - most of their spending is towards rehashing existing product lines, majority of their R&D spend is not for new products meaning they will be caught in a CAPEX trap in another year and may need to raise cash/debt

Further, despite Modern Warfare 2 overhype and likely positive reception for Starcraft 2 in Q4/Q1 2010, current forward earnings place too much weight on Guitar Hero. Analysts attributing per-SKU revenue for GH at 2007 and 2008 levels, but how many people are going to repurchase instruments and other crap all over again? Even if you account for DLC which is expanding, earnings will need to go above and beyond to achieve justified valuations relative to other competitors.

Goldman calls it a "conviction buy" based on "solid technical momentum" - every stock they label a conviction buy has historically tanked in 3-6 months.

Proof is in the pudding - ATVI beat revenues by 40% to Street estimates, and the stock struggled to break technical resistance points because of balance sheet game ATVI is playing.

ERTS on the other hand shows similar cashflow levels, they sufficiently burned through most of their new product R&D spending (unlikely to be caught next year and can rehash product cycle again) and have written down significant amounts of goodwill to account for post-crash market (Pandemonium was completely written off and spun off to reduce costs). Further, they have Star Wars MMO coming up which may not be popular globally, but will create stable revenue streams for the company and allow it to establish a foothold in the online MMORPG space that it was previously missing. ERTS also has the most expansive and efficient distribution network and will be publishing id's Rage, and has a deal in-place with Valve now for product distribution.

Other positions I have -

SHORT NINTENDO (7974.OSA) (upward pressure on Yen currency will screw up actual delivered earnings for Q2/Q3/Q4, risk probability of weak winter product lineup to effect sell-through of console in Japan, revival of PS3/PSP in Japanese market to affect margins especially if response is price drop)

LONG TAKE-TWO (TTWO) (solid product portfolio lineup, high-margin earnings from future DLC for GTA4 userbase, little to no debt meaning, excellent cash position, resolved accounting problems, at <$1B valuation to be target of speculative take over rumors meaning sell when reaches 30% upside target to current prices)

UBI is the only other player I am really interested in, but it's difficult to forecast how their games will perform given critical reception has been crap for their past few products but they sold decently well. However most retailers have been negative on their upcoming products given so much AC1 product had to be sold at massive discounts and UBI didn't rebate anything to them. On the other hand there are rumors that UBI may be the target of a hostile takeover by someone like Disney which could destroy any short position. I am staying away for now.

Comparison.

Everything is Net Income.

Results for the 12 Months Ended March 2009.

Code:
[B]Company			Original Revenue	Average Ex. Rate	Revenue in US $[/B]

Nintendo		¥ 279,089,000,000	100.52378		$ 2,776,348,044	
Bandai Namco		¥ 11,830,000,000	100.52378		$ 117,683,597	
Capcom			¥ 8,063,000,000		100.52378		$ 80,209,877	
Hudson			¥ 1,742,000,000		100.52378		$ 17,329,233	
Takara Tomy		¥ 1,377,000,000		100.52378		$ 13,698,251	
Eizo Nanao		¥ 682,000,000		100.52378		$ 6,784,464	
Koei			¥ 25,000,000		100.52378		$ 248,697	
AQ Interactive		¥ - 468,000,000		100.52378		$ - 4,655,615	
D3			¥ - 2,304,000,000	100.52378		$ - 22,919,950	
Sega Sammy		¥ - 22,882,000,000	100.52378		$ - 227,627,732	
THQ			$ - 431,112,000		1			$ - 431,112,000
Total Revenue with Nintendo: $ 2,325,986,866

Total Revenue without Nintendo: $ - 450,361,178

dionysus

Yaldog
tehrik-e-insaaf said:

You are a professional, and I just trade as a hobby. But for what it is worth I agree with almost all of your analysis, especially about TTWO. The strong balance sheet, stable of successful IPs, and the cloud that hangs over the company stemming from corporate governance issues in the past make this stock undervalued imo. Moreover, I think the potential for a takeover is very likely, not necessarily in the short run, but in the long run. Especially since I bet the board is suitably chastised from turning down ERTS offer and their stock losing 75% of its value after that. I have a large long position in TTWO. (It is also one of my favorite stocks cause I made an absolute killing on them after the first ERTS bid. Emotionally attached you could say.)

For ATVI, I just exited a position in ATVI for a nice gain. I exited for 2 reasons. 1) For stocks like ATVI which are hedge fund darlings, sometimes I feel the type of balance sheet analysis you are doing isn't as valid. (In fact I think since stock price correlations with the broader market or a sector are close to 1, fundamentals really aren't driving any stock in the current market. They will eventually but right now everything is trading on macroeconomics.) I exited ATVI because it is a hedge fund darling so I thought the upside is limited as hedge funds are going to see redemptions continue, forcing them to sell their least depreciated holdings to meet this negative cash flow. I just think over the next year the hedge funds who threw up gates on their investors are going to have to eventually start letting money out, killing hedge fund darling stocks. 2) All indications show that music games have peaked and that competition is eating into music game profit margins. I look at ATVI as 25% GH, 25% CoD, and 50% Blizzard. I think they are losing one leg of that tripod with GH and expectations are too high for this company.

Very bearish on Nintendo for the reasons you mentioned.

I am unsure on ERTS. On one hand the balance sheet is good, on the other hand they have a high cash burn rate and there new IPs aren't catching fire. Too risky in my opinion.

Leonsito

Karma said:
They forecast 13 Million PS3s shipped FY09? That is a 30% increase over last year. Am I reading that right? Seems too high.

Price drop.

Edit: I think that even a 50$ price cut will guarantee that 30% increase YoY.

Averon

45nm Cell chips are coming very soon if they're not here already. That may reduce costs to the point where Sony feels they can actually cut the price without bleeding to death. I don't see a $349.99 PS3 increasing sales by 30%. I'm thinking more like $329.99, a $70 price cut.

FrankT

Hmm I thought from the other thread they said Sony's gaming division loss was $612 million for the year if not my math is off a bit and I need to change that.

Pachael

Sega LOL again. That said, it sold through 2.45 million of Sonic Unleashed. Now that's a franchise! (RGG3 sold 500k and VC sold squat in comparison)

For Sony, I think the yen to $ exchange rate used is different so the discrepancy.

Jtyettis said:
Hmm I thought from the other thread they said Sony's gaming division loss was $612 million for the year if not my math is off a bit and I need to change that.
I have this for the year:

Code:
	      ¥bn    R (Day)	$bn (C)     $bn (R)
2009 Q1	   ¥5.418     106.00	 $0.051      $0.051
2009 Q2	 -¥39.465     104.00	-$0.379     -$0.379
2009 Q3	   ¥0.400      91.00	 $0.004      $0.004
2009 Q4	 -¥24.818      98.00	-$0.253     -$0.253
2009 FY	 -¥58.476      98.00	-$0.597      $0.597
[B]	 -¥58.465		-$0.577     -$0.577[/B]

Where ¥bn is the reported operating income for the division in JPY. R (Day) is the exchange rate given in the financial report. $bn (C) is the calculated dollar value using R (Day) and $bn (R) is the reported dollar value.

The FY results are slightly different to the quarterly (which are what get used for the numbers above)... but this is not particularly unusual.

w3stfa11

Psychotext said:
These numbers are the operating income figures for all companies, rather than the net income.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but what's the difference between the two? And which are investors most interested in?

w3stfa11 said:
I'm sure this has been discussed before but what's the difference between the two? And which are investors most interested in?
There's a good description here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_income

Basically means that it's the profit before taxes etc are paid. If I was to guess, I'd say that investors are more interested in net income because it's what the company really made. But I don't use that in the numbers simply because we only get net income figures for Nintendo (Companies generally don't report / calculate net income at a division level).

w3stfa11 said:

Net income includes investment income or losses and taxes and some other stuff. These days the big difference is currency losses for Japanese companies and taxes, I guess.

Net income is more important but you only get that number for the whole company not for divisions so to do apples to apples comparison operating income is the only real choice.

Paracelsus

bttb said:
Bandai Namco: Presentation Materials for Q4

Game Contents: Software Forecasts

Code:
Title				Region		Release		Plan
Tekken 6 (PS3/360)			WW		FY2009 H2		2,000,000
New Dragon Ball Z (PS3/360)		JP/EU		FY2009 H2		  800,000
Family Trainer Series (Wii)		JP/US/EU		FY2009 H2	  	  600,000
New Soul Calibur (PSP)		JP/US/EU		FY2009 H2		  600,000
New Gundam (Wii/PS2)		JP		FY2009 H1		  500,000
We Ski & Snow Board (Wii)		US/EU		FY2009 H1		  400,000

Aren't both Vesperia and Gundam Senki PS3 due for a Q4 release?

Paracelsus said:
Aren't both Vesperia and Gundam Senki PS3 due for a Q4 release?
Guess they expect them to sell less than 400k then. A new PS360 DBZ unsurprisingly confirmed too.

Btw, 0 PS2 games from Konami next year as in WE/PES not coming to PS2 anymore? Also lawl at PSP/PC on End of Eternity.

dionysus said:
You are a professional, and I just trade as a hobby. But for what it is worth I agree with almost all of your analysis, especially about TTWO. The strong balance sheet, stable of successful IPs, and the cloud that hangs over the company stemming from corporate governance issues in the past make this stock undervalued imo. Moreover, I think the potential for a takeover is very likely, not necessarily in the short run, but in the long run. Especially since I bet the board is suitably chastised from turning down ERTS offer and their stock losing 75% of its value after that. I have a large long position in TTWO. (It is also one of my favorite stocks cause I made an absolute killing on them after the first ERTS bid. Emotionally attached you could say.)

For ATVI, I just exited a position in ATVI for a nice gain. I exited for 2 reasons. 1) For stocks like ATVI which are hedge fund darlings, sometimes I feel the type of balance sheet analysis you are doing isn't as valid. (In fact I think since stock price correlations with the broader market or a sector are close to 1, fundamentals really aren't driving any stock in the current market. They will eventually but right now everything is trading on macroeconomics.) I exited ATVI because it is a hedge fund darling so I thought the upside is limited as hedge funds are going to see redemptions continue, forcing them to sell their least depreciated holdings to meet this negative cash flow. I just think over the next year the hedge funds who threw up gates on their investors are going to have to eventually start letting money out, killing hedge fund darling stocks. 2) All indications show that music games have peaked and that competition is eating into music game profit margins. I look at ATVI as 25% GH, 25% CoD, and 50% Blizzard. I think they are losing one leg of that tripod with GH and expectations are too high for this company.

Very bearish on Nintendo for the reasons you mentioned.

I am unsure on ERTS. On one hand the balance sheet is good, on the other hand they have a high cash burn rate and there new IPs aren't catching fire. Too risky in my opinion.

ATVI is less a hedge fund darling more of an institutional buy. Most people are making money off of it as a "conviction" buy - meaning they are trading on technical movements in its floor/roof troughs. I am short on it because I think the shareholder's equity they claim is a mirage and that thesis will play out in the next two quarters when the SEC will require them to revalue goodwill on the balance sheet. So I think we are aligned regardless of our reasons (even if Hedge Fund redemptions continue, they will likely get out of positions in the middle-market and stick to larger cap players that they feel will dominate the market).

Someone else asked me my thoughts on SNE, here was my analysis if anyone cares:

I wouldn't touch SNE right now, they are still overvalued based on the supposed synergies the PS3 userbase was supposed to generate for them. Earnings wise the cashflow is going to tank each consecutive quarter for the rest of this generation, and their cost cutting isn't good enough to bring their earnings back in-line. The value of the Yen creates a variable that is going to be difficult to manage for their long-term earnings since they don't have enough currency swaps for their forward projections.

Now the only technical upside factor is the P/E ratio people give consumer electronics/consumer services. That might give you some benefit, but IMHO SNE current business isn't good enough to justify putting a dime in them.

If you are looking for a broader consumer stock to put money into, my suggestion is trying for device manufacturers like RIMM (Blackberry), Nokia, or Palm which all have higher upside potential. On the services side I'd play it safe with Blue chips right now and go with IBM.

EDIT: Dionysus, I just put in a request in my research group to see if they have any info on the major shareholders for ATVI. Last I remember reviewing it was primarily Vivendi + institutions (mostly pension funds). The ATVI stock hasn't achieved significant spikes enough to warrant hedge fund darling status, but I could be wrong. Hence, I re-read your post and I think you have a solid point, so let me see if I can put some facts behind your theory and if so, I may build a further short position on them.

EDIT: Thanks nextgeneration

Captain Smoker said:
Comparison.

Everything is Net Income.

Results for the 12 Months Ended March 2009.

Code:
[B]Company			Original Revenue	Average Ex. Rate	Revenue in US $[/B]
Total Revenue with Nintendo: $ 2,325,986,866

Total Revenue without Nintendo: $ - 450,361,178
How the hell does Sega keep losing money? They're like the eastern Take-Two, very big publisher with high selling games yet they manage to keep losing money.

BishopLamont said:
How the hell does Sega keep losing money? They're like the eastern Take-Two, very big publisher with high selling games yet they manage to keep losing money.
You'd think Mario and Sonic Olympics game would have profits to cover everything.

Let's hope Sega Sammy doesn't have the same level of shittyness in the administration that Sega had when they backed out of the console race. I'd hate to see them go to shit again.

When do we get MS numbers?

Vinci

Danish
BishopLamont said:

Isn't their arcade business kind of dragging them down? I admit, I'm not familiar enough with the full range of their company to know.

Pachael

Vinci said:
Isn't their arcade business kind of dragging them down? I admit, I'm not familiar enough with the full range of their company to know.

Arcades are dying (in Japan) part 157 - Sega needs to shut down arcades and take the losses as everybody's at home playing the Wii ;p

Vinci said:
Sega Sammy said:
Amusement Machines 65,430 6,890
Amusement Facilities 71,330 -7,520
That can't be it. They're basically breaking even in that area.

lupinko

markatisu said:
Yeah I think this is amazing, look at the PS2

GTA : SA : 12m (Rockstar/Take-Two)
GT3 : 9.53m (Rockstar/Take-Two)
GTA : VC : 9.21m (Rockstar/Take-Two)
GTA 3 : 7.5m (Rockstar/Take-Two)
MGS2 : 7m (Konami)
FFX : 6.6m (SQUARE)
FFXII : 5.2m (SQUARE)
Kingdom Hearts : 4.7m (SQUARE)
DQ8 : 4.4m (SQUARE)
Madden 05 : 4.3m (EA)

The entire PS2 list is 3rd party, the Wii list is almost all Nintendo with the rare exceptions Activision for GHIII and GHWT, SEGA for Mario and Sonic, and probably after this year Lucasarts for Lego Star Wars when you are looking at "Nintendo like" sales

I guess the real reason why GT5 is in delay mode is because of the eventual 360 port eh? :lol

Additional data from Square-Enix ->

Sales numbers for specific titles for the whole fiscal year (4/1/2008 - : 3/31/2009), in units :

Dragon Quest V : 1.35M (JPN : 1.22M, NA : 0.06M, EU : 0.07M)

Dissidia FF : 0.93M (JPN : 0.91M, AS : 0.02M)

Crisis Core FFVII : 0.84M (JPN : 0.03M, NA : 0.26M, EU : 0.55M)

Chrono Trigger DS : 0.79M (JPN : 0.49M, NA : 0.24M, EU : 0.06M)

Last Remnant : 0.58M (JPN : 0.16M, NA : 0.22M, EU : 0.18M, AS : 0.02M)

FFCC EoT : 0.57M (JPN : 0.32M, NA : 0.14M, EU : 0.11M)

FFIV DS : 0.50M (JPN : 0.02M, NA : 0.30M, EU : 0.18M)

Infinite Undiscovery : 0.44M (JPN : 0.12M, NA : 0.20M, EU : 0.10M, AS : 0.02M)

Star Ocean 4 : 0.42M (JPN : 0.20M, NA : 0.20M, AS : 0.02M)

FF Tactics A2 : 0.36M (NA : 0.24M, EU : 0.12M)

Dragon Quest IV : 0.31M (JPN : 0.05M, NA : 0.11M, EU : 0.15M)

Valkyrie Profile DS : 0.23M (JPN : 0.16M, NA : 0.05M, EU : 0.02M)

Others (Japan) : 1.51M
Others (North America) : 1.69M
Others (Europe) : 0.54M

Source :

http://www.square-enix.com/jpn/pdf/news/20090519_02.pdf

Johann

Vinci said:
Then yeah, they're fucking up somewhere.

Sega said in their reports that was mainly due to 'the strong value of the yen and the current economic crisis.' They also said that many of their games had poor sales and they were forced to cancel a few (unannounced) projects in development.

kswiston

Stormbringer said:
Additional data from Square-Enix ->

Sales numbers for specific titles for the whole fiscal year (4/1/2008 - : 3/31/2009), in units :

Dragon Quest IV : 0.31M (JPN : 0.05M, NA : 0.11M, EU : 0.15M)
Dragon Quest V : 1.35M (JPN : 1.22M, NA : 0.06M, EU : 0.07M)

260k shipped to NA+EU for DQ IV isn't horrible all things considered. I hope that the number for DQV reach similar numbers in upcoming months. I really want to see DQVI released stateside when it finally comes out.

Crisis Core FFVII : 0.84M (JPN : 0.03M, NA : 0.26M, EU : 0.55M)

Dissidia FF : 0.93M (JPN : 0.91M, AS : 0.02M)

For their 2008 fiscal year report (4/1/2007 - 3/31/2008), Square Enix listed Crisis Core at 800k Jpn and 450k NA. With these additional sales, the game has shipped almost 2.1 million copies. Not too bad considering PSP sales outside Japan. I expect Dissidia to reach at least 1.5M worldwide. Maybe even 1.75M.

Last Remnant : 0.58M (JPN : 0.16M, NA : 0.22M, EU : 0.18M, AS : 0.02M)

Infinite Undiscovery : 0.44M (JPN : 0.12M, NA : 0.20M, EU : 0.10M, AS : 0.02M)

Star Ocean 4 : 0.42M (JPN : 0.20M, NA : 0.20M, AS : 0.02M)

I'm surprised that Last Remnant managed to ship as many copies as it did. Considering that the PC version wasn't released in Japan, or on Steam, until April, the game has likely passed 600k by now (still in the top 20 games on Steam with a peak of 1100+ concurrent players today). I know common wisdom dictates that the 360 jrps have been financial flops, but I wonder if 600k is enough to break even on a project that was 1) not a AAA game 2) developed using a middle-ware engine, and 3) likely had at least some of its marketing/production costs offset by Microsoft.

Based on sales of the other two 360 projects, I'd guess that Star Ocean 4 is heading for 550k-650k worldwide as well (really depends on the EU reception). If Square Enix followed up with a PS3 director's cut version, they could probably hit 900k-1M between both versions.

Chrono Trigger DS : 0.79M (JPN : 0.49M, NA : 0.24M, EU : 0.06M)

FFCC EoT : 0.57M (JPN : 0.32M, NA : 0.14M, EU : 0.11M)

FFIV DS : 0.50M (JPN : 0.02M, NA : 0.30M, EU : 0.18M)

FF Tactics A2 : 0.36M (NA : 0.24M, EU : 0.12M)

Valkyrie Profile DS : 0.23M (JPN : 0.16M, NA : 0.05M, EU : 0.02M)

I wonder how much the Square Enix tax is hurting sales in North America. Final Fantasy IV is already playable on most DSes (which I'm sure did not help sales of the remake), but I expected Chrono Trigger at least to do better than 250k.

Marvelous Entertainment (results and forecasts from their investors meeting, broken down by platform) ->

But beforehand, a few precisions :

-1st column : number of titles/SKUs
-2nd column : share of titles (%)
-3rd column : shipments numbers
-4th column : share of shipments (%)
- the right half of the spreadsheet makes the comparison between the fiscal year in question and the previous one.
- &#22269;&#20869; : Japan, RSG : Rising Star Games, MEU : Marvelous USA.

FY 09 results :

1553544-2.png

Domestic forecasts for FY 10 :

465644-1.png

Overseas forecasts for FY 10 :

54563476.png

Electronic Arts (FY3 2009)
Net Income: $ -1,088,000,000
source: http://investor.ea.com/results.cfm

Overview (FY3 2009)
Code:
Company			Original Profit/Loss	Average Ex. Rate	Profit/Loss in US $

Konami			¥ 10,874,000,000	100.52378		$ 108,173,409
Ubisoft			€ 68,800,000		1.42447			$ 98,003,536
Take 2			$ 84,600,000		1			$ 84,600,000
Activision Bliz.	$ 68,015,000		1			$ 68,015,000
Square Enix		¥ 6,333,000,000		100.52378		$ 63,000,019	
Nippon Ichi		¥ - 65,000,000		100.52378		$ - 646,613
Marvelous		¥ - 1,221,000,000	100.52378		$ - 12,146,380	
SCE			¥ - 58,500,000,000	100.52378		$ - 581,951,853
Electronic Arts		$ - 1,088,000,000	1			$ - 1,088,000,000
SCE: Operating Income

All Other: Net Income

magash

Captain Smoker said:
source: http://investor.ea.com/results.cfm

Overview (FY3 2009)
Code:
Company			Original Revenue	Average Ex. Rate	Income in US $

Konami			¥ 10,874,000,000	100.52378		$ 108,173,409
Take 2			$ 84,600,000		1			$ 84,600,000
Activision Bliz.	$ 68,015,000		1			$ 68,015,000
Square Enix		¥ 6,333,000,000		100.52378		$ 63,000,019
Ubisoft			€ 68,800,000		0.70740			$ 48,669,120	
Nippon Ichi		¥ - 65,000,000		100.52378		$ - 646,613
Marvelous		¥ - 1,221,000,000	100.52378		$ - 12,146,380	
SCE			¥ - 58,500,000,000	100.52378		$ - 581,951,853
Electronic Arts		$ - 1,088,000,000	1			$ - 1,088,000,000
SCE: Operating Income

All Other: Net Income

Shit this industry is a mess. Something has to give...too many companies are bleeding too much too fast.

Top Bottom