• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Sales Age) Earnings time again (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, UBI)

Chumly

Anyone post Ubisoft?

Sales for the fourth quarter of 2008-09 came to €206 million, down 5.1%, or down 2.3% at
constant exchange rates, compared with the €217 million recorded for the same period of
2007-08. Full-year sales for fiscal 2008-09 totaled €1,058 million versus €928 million for fiscal
2007-08, representing an increase of 14.0%, or 18.4% at constant exchange rates.
Fourth-quarter sales were in line with the guidance of between €190 million and €210 million
issued when Ubisoft released its sales figures for the third quarter of 2008-09. This
performance was primarily attributable to:
− A continued very strong showing for games for Wii™, including Rayman Raving
Rabbids® TV Party and Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip, combined with the
successful launch of My Fitness Coach™.
− Sales of TOM CLANCY’S H.A.W.X™ which reached the set target of one million sell-in
units.
− The Petz® and Imagine® franchises which each sold-in over one million units during
the quarter.

The first quarter of 2009-10 will see only a few games releases, including:
− Anno™ for the PC, Wii™ and Nintendo DS™
− Call of Juarez®: Bound In Blood for the Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION®3
− New casual games for the Nintendo DS™ in the Imagine®, Petz®, MyCoach and
Playzone™ ranges.
2009-10 targets confirmed
Ubisoft is confirming its targets for 2009-10, namely sales of around €1,100 million and
current operating income before stock-based compensation representing at least 11% of sales.
Growth is forecast to be generated in the second half, driven by the launch of the year's
principal games for the Holiday season. Consequently, in the first six months, sales are
expected to contract by approximately 35% compared with the first half of 2008-09, followed
by an estimated growth of around 23% in the second half.
The games line-up for 2009-10 will include the following flagship titles:
− 7 franchised games, including Assassin's Creed® 2, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell®
Conviction, Rabbids Go Home™, Red Steel® 2, Ghost Recon® 4 and Anno™ 1404.
− 4 licensed games – James Cameron's Avatar, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles™, Cloudy
with a Chance of Meatballs and Arthur and the Invisibles.
− 3 new brands – R.U.S.E., I am Alive and a sports game for the Wii™.
− New titles based on the successful Petz, Imagine and MyCoach brands and new
innovations for Wii™.
Breakdown of sales by platform
Q4 2008/09 Q4 2007/08 12 months 2008/09 12 months 2007/08
Nintendo DS™ 23% 27% 29% 25%
GBA 0% 1% 0% 1%
PC 13% 4% 9% 7%
PlayStation®2 2% 2% 2% 6%
PLAYSTATION®3 15% 23% 20% 20%
PSP™ 4% 2% 3% 4%
Wii™ 29% 9% 18% 11%
XBOX 360™ 15% 33% 19% 26%
TOTAL 100% 100% 100% 100%

Wii took the cake for Jan-march. Just short of selling as much as 360+PS3 combined.

donny2112

swerve said:
So Nintendo now has $10.5billion in the bank if I'm reading that right, and a further $4.5bn in assets?

They're paying out a dividend, so their actual cash on hand is dropping compared to last FY. I think I read in the .pdf that they only have $8 billion in cash available.

Edit:
30 million DSs projected for the year. Down 1.18 million from FY09.
26 million Wiis projected for the year. Up 50K from FY09.

Edit2:
No mention of any upcoming Wii projects besides Wii Sports Resort. It looks like E3 will be when they pull back the curtain on whatever they have. :/

swerve

donny2112 said:
They're paying out a dividend, so their actual cash on hand is dropping compared to last FY. I think I read in the .pdf that they only have $8 billion in cash available.

Oh right. I guess they have a preferred amount to keep on hand and anything above that is gravy.

"the dividend will be established at the amount calculated by dividing 33% of consolidated operating income rounded up to the 10yen digit"

Fair enough.

donny2112

swerve said:
Oh right. That's roundabout where it's always been. I guess they have a preferred amount to keep on hand and anything above that is gravy.

Sorry. Only $9 billion. (894.1 billion yen)

bttb said:
GBA SW = 377.28M
NDS SW = 566.92M
Wii SW = 353.02M

How does the Wii SW number compare to the 360 and PS3, and PS2 at this point in its life out of curiosity?

Wii Fit - 18.22M
Wii Million Sellers = 54

Isn't that exactly double the amount of Million Sellers as last time? Wasn't it 27 last we heard?

And holy shit that's alot of Wii Fits.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Shin Johnpv said:
How does the Wii SW number compare to the 360 and PS3, and PS2 at this point in its life out of curiosity?
Way lower than the Wii.
PS2 cumulative productions of software at the end of Sep. 2002 (after 30 months) was at 229m copies.
Wii software at the end of Mar. 2009 (after 28 months) was at 353m copies.

Capcom's IR should be coming out tomorrow (5/08) -- interesting to see the breakdowns between consoles on their multiplatform games.

Yes Boss!

Wow,

15 million for Mario Kart Wii and the DS version likely right behind. Such a massive franchise now. Crazy.

Hopefully some of that love transfers to Excite Bots!

Yes Boss!

jakncoke said:
Nintendo on the verge 3 20 million selling games, wowza. What were the top 3 selling PS2 games?

I think those are GTAs and Turismos and all those are well below things like Kart and Fit. Nutty times.

swerve

Yes Boss! said:
I think those are GTAs and Turismos and all those are well below things like Kart and Fit. Nutty times.

Well below? I think San Andreas might be close to if not more than 15 million. Maybe even comfortably higher depending on if you factor in re-releases.

Zihark

Great numbers for NCL-maybe someone should start a new thread with these numbers. I see Namco financials are this week-lol tales, one piece, dragon ball and taiko lulz.

Yes Boss!

swerve said:
Well below? I think San Andreas might be close to if not more than 15 million. Maybe even comfortably higher depending on if you factor in re-releases.

I don't follow sale age so perhaps I'm wrong. But I thought the PS2 version was in the low teens. Mario Kart and Fit are well beyond that with a massive life ahead.

I'm sure someone will supply accurate numbers shortly.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Promoting Iwata to President of NCL seemed to just enhance Nintendo that much more. He is set for life.

swerve

speedpop said:
Promoting Iwata to President of NCL seemed to just enhance Nintendo that much more. He is set for life.

Hah, but not on GAF - not enough amazing quotes like old Yamauchi.

And not enough games?

starship said:
Way lower than the Wii.
PS2 cumulative productions of software at the end of Sep. 2002 (after 30 months) was at 229m copies.
Wii software at the end of Mar. 2009 (after 28 months) was at 353m copies.

That's fucking crazy. I'd love to see where 360 (with its 12 month head start) is at right now and PS3.

Amazing to see DS H/W over 100 million now! What's even more stunning perhaps is that Kirby Superstar Ultra is at almost 2.5 million and they're not releasing it in Europe, I'm just dumbstruck!

swerve

Nuclear Muffin said:
Amazing to see DS H/W over 100 million now! What's even more stunning perhaps is that Kirby Superstar Ultra is at almost 2.5 million and they're not releasing it in Europe, I'm just dumbstruck!

Kirby games don't sell in Europe, maybe?

w3stfa11

Shin Johnpv said:
Isn't that exactly double the amount of Million Sellers as last time? Wasn't it 27 last we heard?

The pdf says it was 26 last fiscal year and now it's 54. Do Microsoft or Sony release this kind of information. I'd be interested to see Microsoft's figure.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So it looks like there will be a briefing where new software could be shown/teased:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article6241331.ece

"All eyes, said one Tokyo fund manager, will anyway be turned to Friday’s presentation by the company – an event where Nintendo has traditionally bludgeoned investors with a lurid montage of teasers for forthcoming games"

At the very least I expect a Wii Sports Resort Japan date.

schuelma

swerve said:
Do we have past threads for some hint as to what sort of things get shown at these 'day after' events?

Most announcements will probably be embargoed (especially since E3 is less than a month away). Like I said though, I do expect a Wii Sports Resort blowout given its supposedly coming out in about a month in Japan.

Johann

swerve said:

I think Take2 said it was at around 20-22 million (PS2/Xbox/PC) in their last press release about the franchise. It looks as though Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii will outsell it at the rate they are going.

donny2112

schuelma said:
So it looks like there will be a briefing where new software could be shown/teased:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article6241331.ece

"All eyes, said one Tokyo fund manager, will anyway be turned to Friday’s presentation by the company – an event where Nintendo has traditionally bludgeoned investors with a lurid montage of teasers for forthcoming games"

Nice find. It doesn't show up on Nintendo's corporate calendar, though, whereas past presentations have, so this could just be uninformed speculation by a Tokyo fund manager assuming such a presentation will take place. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. :)

schuelma

markatisu said:
You would hope so, doesn't the game launch in about a month?

It launches in June and even if it comes at the end of the month I can't imagine them waiting any longer to announce the date- If this product is really that big I have to think they're going to hype it a fair amount.

swerve

There are usually a few interviews after these reports, at least, right? Maybe that's all that will happen tomorrow.

It's only a few days since Iwata's video explaining that they acknowledge they have had a bare patch, but please wait for E3.

Neo C. said:
In today's economy, you can burn 9 billion pretty fast. I remember Toyota once had about 40 billion, now they have less than half IIRC.

Yeah but Nintendo is obviously far more profit focused then most car companies. I'm not saying it's a MASSIVE number, just that I wouldn't consider it tiny.

nli10

swerve said:

It had sold over 2 Million in the UK last time we saw.

Vinci

Danish
Johann said:
If it keeps its pace, Wii Fit could outsell the PS3 worldwide before the year is over.

Sorry, it's just seeing the number there to quantify what that means ... that's the shock. The concept isn't something I'm struggling with, but that's just ... that's a helluva lot of a $90 product.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
2.82 billion dollars o_O

Also: Part of the reason why Toyota can burn through its cash so quickly is because they have so many regular expenses they have to pay. the 300,000 employees they have to pay alone is a regular expense of well over 10 billion dollars per year, for one. Considering the size of Toyota, $40 billion dollars isn't that much.

For companies like Apple and Nintendo, which have ~35,000 and ~4,000 total employees, rspectively, to have $40 billion and $20 billion in pure assets, with $24 billion and $10 billion of it cash on hand, that's a huge advantage, because they don't have to spend as much simply funding their day to day operating activities.

Linkup

Shiggie said:
DS has over 90 million sellers?
Woah.

DS jumped from 57 to 91 in a year = 34 new million sellers in a year
Wii jumped from 29 to 54 in a year = 25 new million sellers in a year

Those the biggest jump yet for each system?

andthebeatgoeson

Vinci said:
Sorry, it's just seeing the number there to quantify what that means ... that's the shock. The concept isn't something I'm struggling with, but that's just ... that's a helluva lot of a $90 product.
I still intend on buying one. Wait til the hoard of hardcore gamers like me decide to jump in. It'll sell 60K more.

I could have sworn there was a post / thread around here which showed Nintendo's shipped figures for the Wii / DS this year and last. Anyone know where it is? Or have a link to the data?

Edit - No worries, it's in the quarterly report.

Vinci

Danish
skinnyrattler said:
I still intend on buying one. Wait til the hoard of hardcore gamers like me decide to jump in. It'll sell 60K more.

:lol :lol Perspective is a dangerous thing, indeed.

Valtor

Banned
As per Wikipedia :

Top PS2 selling games :

GTA : SA : 12m
GT3 : 9.53m
GTA : VC : 9.21m
GTA 3 : 7.5m
MGS2 : 7m
FFX : 6.6m
FFXII : 5.2m
Kingdom Hearts : 4.7m
DQ8 : 4.4m
Madden 05 : 4.3m

Total PS2 sales (as of march 2007): 1.24 billion software units
Total Xbox 360 sales (as of january 14 2009) : 231.8m
Total PS3 sales (as of June 30 2008) : 94m
Total Xbox sales : ?
Total GCN sales (as of June 30 2008) : 208.56m

Wii tie ratio : 7.01 (353m/50m)

Anybody has numbers for Xbox?

Edit : got Xbox 360 numbers using gamasutra tie ratio of 8.3 as of march 2009. Assuming american ratio = world ratio (I know it's wrong but still) and using the 27.93 million sales from wikipedia (as of january 14 2009), I get 231.8m.

Top Bottom