• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Jeffrey

I generally use screen protectors but everyone I see for this phone has terrible reviews.

Wonder if there exists a flip case that can work with a car phone mount.

Maedre

Banned
I had both S8 phone for the first time in my hands in Dresden. The screen is phenomenal. My iP7+ looks like a monster in comparison and I really like the screenformat+size. Well done Samsung. Sadly it's the wrong OS.

ZOONAMI

Haven't used a screen protector in over 4 years. The Gorilla Glass tech has gotten so good I don't think you need one. I just get the same Spigen case for every new phone now. As long as you're not putting the phone in bag/pocket with keys or anything with sharp edges you should be fine.

I only use them because of jump on demand. Phone has to be immaculate for them to do a trade in.

Who the hell uses the clock in that format? The phone is gorgeous but every time I see the clock stacked like that it just makes me cringe.

There's no way to display a normal looking clock in the always on display. It's either the vertical clock or an analog clock. And I really don't want to use the world clock either.

64amfay.png

The lack of options there is pretty annoying.

There's no way to display a normal looking clock in the always on display. It's either the vertical clock or an analog clock. And I really don't want to use the world clock either.

when you click that Clock (which you have now) you go to another screen to customize. You can choose the STYLE of the clock, the COLOR of the clock and a BACKGROUD for the Always on display.

Take a look again.

Aesthet1c

Actually you can change it to a normal clock. Select digital clock and in the options there you can select what type of digital clock to display.

No. There is a chip on the back of the Samsung cases to identify them.

You can't use the keyboard without the back cover it comes with. For example, I put the S-Folio case on and tried to see if the keyboard would work by itself on it. No dice.

Missed this earlier, but that's very disappointing.
Ah well, still love the keyboard.

Anybody using Tasker for useful stuff? I have used mine to turn off my WiFi automatically when I leave home and turn it on when I get back home.

Might go ahead and do other stuff like getting a different ring tone when it's someone not from my contacts list

Paganmoon

There's a normal digital clock for the Always on Display, if you click "into" the display you've got selected in that picture, there's an option for clock face in the bottom left (you may need to do a singel press on the screen).

There is no "normal digital" clock face for the Lockscreen however, only way to display a "normal digital" clock face on the Lockscreen is to have a notification up.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
After some more time with the phone and registering my fingerprint a few more times unlocking the phone has been a breeze.

After some more time with the phone and registering my fingerprint a few more times unlocking the phone has been a breeze.

Fingerprint is my go to unlock method. I still can't believe how collectively misleading the reviews were regarding the fingerprint scanner position and its ease of use.

Paganmoon

I could've sworn when I first started the Samsung browser, I could navigate forward and backward with swiping. Sort of makes it unusable for me without it.

Was I just imagining things or is there a setting for this?

The only phone I had with fingerprint​ sensor was the S7 Edge. While I miss the laying flat option for fingerprint access, the back sensor has been flawless for me.

Going naked would not be ideal though.
I believe that the disconnect comes from the reviewers all having previous experience with other phones with a rear sensor located lower and centered.

It's like how they cheered for being able to reverse the navigation buttons...

Some Samsung phones hax the heart rate monitor in the same position.

All that muscle memory.

Back fingerprint sensor is ass for a case with cover though. I'm stuck with using pattern because

1. I can't use retina without taking off my thick glasses. Not an option for each time I want to use phone

2. Face recognition isn't very safe.

3. Fingerprint position sucks for case with cover as when I open the phone I put the cover/flap flipped to the back.

I'm sure that for the s10 the screen itself will have a fingerprint sensor. That'll be the time I actually use that feature.

Back fingerprint sensor is ass for a case with cover though. I'm stuck with using pattern because

1. I can't use retina without taking off my thick glasses. Not an option for each time I want to use phone

2. Face recognition isn't very safe.

3. Fingerprint position sucks for case with cover as when I open the phone I put the cover/flap flipped to the back.

I'm sure that for the s10 the screen itself will have a fingerprint sensor. That'll be the time I actually use that feature.
Note 8 better come correct.

Fletcher

One thing I dislike about this phone and it's amazing front screen /lack of home button. It takes a few steps more and is a bit longer to unlock my phone. Is there any way for them to add a finger print reader on the screen?

My S6 edge just got Nougat. I'm excited to be able to text from my notifications, and fuck Quick Connect, but yeesh... This new look is mixed for me.

What's new?

One thing I dislike about this phone and it's amazing front screen /lack of home button. It takes a few steps more and is a bit longer to unlock my phone. Is there any way for them to add a finger print reader on the screen?

You can set the phone to unlock as soon as you touch the fingerprint scanner or to engage the iris scanner/facial recognition as soon as you press the power/home button.

Jeffrey

If you click digital clock and clock style there are more options!

You can set the phone to unlock as soon as you touch the fingerprint scanner or to engage the iris scanner/facial recognition as soon as you press the power/home button.

Yeppers. That's how I have it set up for iris scanning. If I pick my phone up off it's charging plate it'll look for my irises even if I don't press anything.

Anyway, this phone is damn beautiful

It is but... that wallpaper is just random lines :p

I'm still trying to find wallpapers that show off this phone's screen while also making it possible for me to see the weather text which is always white because reasons.

Sanjuro

It is but... that wallpaper is just random lines :p

I'm still trying to find wallpapers that show off this phone's screen while also making it possible for me to see the weather text which is always white because reasons.

I usually hate things like this, but I do like the infinity wallpapers.

Any recommendations on S8 screen protectors? The one I ended up with (that I can't remember because the guy at the store just picked it out) doesn't seem to work well with the incipio phone cover. It is not sealed, and as a result, some screen touches do not get registered.

EDIT: Or maybe I should go without one

BraXzy

They're just color gradients on the home screen with some dots that move when you tilt the phone.

Kinda boring =\

I like it on the lock screen but yeah... the home screeen with it leaves much to be desired. Haven't really dived in deep customising stuff yet but I definitely want to find myself a new wallpaper.

Top Bottom