• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I tried a few cases.

Samsung clear case: It's extremely slim, but not entirely transparent. It feels almost the same as the phone does without a case, but it makes the phone no less slippery and doesn't really feel like it'd provide much protection from a drop.

Trianium Clarium: Not bad, but I don't like the feel of the buttons and it feels just a smidge loose.

Spigen Neo Hybrid Crystal: I had high hopes for this one, but it doesn't feel 100% secure on the phone. I mean, it wouldn't slip off or anything, but when using the phone you can hear/feel the case sort of clicking around the sides and it's kind of annoying. If I had no other options I could use it, I guess.

Spigen Ultra Hybrid: Similar to the above, but it's one piece instead of two. The buttons have a nice clicky feel (better than the actual phone). Also, this one feels more secure on the phone, and depending on the color looks more inconspicuous. There are a few 1 star reviews on Amazon claiming it feels loose, but I honestly think they reviewed the wrong case or they got a defective one (or they're just an idiot – probably this), as it is not loose at all. Also, the back is made of PC and the edges are black TPU (unless you get clear or another color), so I don't think it'll turn yellow.

I think I'll stick with the Ultra Hybrid.

Sanjuro

I tried a few cases.

Samsung clear case: It's extremely slim, but not entirely transparent. It feels almost the same as the phone does without a case, but it makes the phone no less slippery and doesn't really feel like it'd provide much protection from a drop.

Trianium Clarium: Not bad, but I don't like the feel of the buttons and it feels just a smidge loose.

Spigen Neo Hybrid Crystal: I had high hopes for this one, but it doesn't feel 100% secure on the phone. I mean, it wouldn't slip off or anything, but when using the phone you can hear/feel the case sort of clicking around the sides and it's kind of annoying. If I had no other options I could use it, I guess.

Spigen Ultra Hybrid: Similar to the above, but it's one piece instead of two. The buttons have a nice clicky feel (better than the actual phone). Also, this one feels more secure on the phone, and depending on the color looks more inconspicuous. There are a few 1 star reviews on Amazon claiming it feels loose, but I honestly think they reviewed the wrong case or they got a defective one (or they're just an idiot – probably this), as it is not loose at all. Also, the back is made of PC and the edges are black TPU (unless you get clear or another color), so I don't think it'll turn yellow.

If there was one with a smokey translucent matte back, that would be my ideal case.

Sanjuro

Thanks. I'm just looking on Kijiji to see what deals there are.

How do you like it? I've only ever tried the Vive.

Do you like to jerk off, Schuey?

To be honest, there really isn't a ton of great content out there. The controller however makes things more enjoyable and just browsing watching YouTube videos seemed kind of neat alone.

A year has passed and there really isn't a killer game out there still.

BraXzy

Idk if the crystal is different to the standard ones but it's snug as a bug on mine. No clicking/looseness. It's the standard S8 though, if you have the plus it might be worse?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Idk if the crystal is different to the standard ones but it's snug as a bug on mine. No clicking/looseness. It's the standard S8 though, if you have the plus it might be worse?
Yeah, I have the Plus, so that could be it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Do you like to jerk off, Schuey?

To be honest, there really isn't a ton of great content out there. The controller however makes things more enjoyable and just browsing watching YouTube videos seemed kind of neat alone.

A year has passed and there really isn't a killer game out there still.

Lol. I'll watch some old Subban clips. Maybe I'll hold off for a bit.

Did you previously own a phone with a rear fingerprint sensor?

Never. Now, this sensor's location might make it feel awkward compared to other phones that have this feature. That's something I can't contest. But the buzz online almost made it sound like this was unusable. Or like it was the least viable option. "Location sucks. Thank God we have facelock and iris scan instead."

Sanjuro

Fingerprint is current my go to method of unlocking with both my left and right hand. Iris comes in handy in selected situations. Flat surface I've been using pin...might do a pattern or something different at some point.

How would the RhinoShield CrashGuard bumper case be?

I usually go no case but this phone making me think twice. Still want the beauty of the phone, so thinking of ordering that bumper case.

What do you guys think?

Wow I just want to say the difference in battery as of right now is ridiculous between this and my s6 edge.

With my s6 id be in like in the 40%'s with the use I did today. I came back home and I have 74 fucking %.

I think it's more of a testament to just how shitty s6 battery was

Never. Now, this sensor's location might make it feel awkward compared to other phones that have this feature. That's something I can't contest. But the buzz online almost made it sound like this was unusable. Or like it was the least viable option. "Location sucks. Thank God we have facelock and iris scan instead."
All of the reviewers are used to the rear placement of LG, Huawei and others.

Most of the normal people are using a rear sensor for the first time.

Huge disconnect.

All of the reviewers are used to the rear placement of LG, Huawei and others.

Most of the normal people are using a rear sensor for the first time.

Huge disconnect.

As I said earlier in the thread, it reminds me of the good old times where good phones would get marked down because reviewers thought they "just didn't feel as good as their iPhone".

Muscle memory making you favour your old phone doesn't make a different phone bad.

I went ahead and upgraded my S6 Edge to a S8+. The iris scanning feature is crazy awesome and loving the phone so far.

It's probably my favorite way of unlocking the phone. Makes me feel like Ethan Hunt or something lol. The fingerprint sensor is a very close second. I also like the Samsung biometrics so I can log in to websites using my fingerprint.

It's probably my favorite way of unlocking the phone. Makes me feel like Ethan Hunt or something lol. The fingerprint sensor is a very close second. I also like the Samsung biometrics so I can log in to websites using my fingerprint.
This was my favorite feature when I first realized I could do it on my S7E. Wish all of my devices had it.

Setzer

Any recommendations on S8 screen protectors? The one I ended up with (that I can't remember because the guy at the store just picked it out) doesn't seem to work well with the incipio phone cover. It is not sealed, and as a result, some screen touches do not get registered.

EDIT: Or maybe I should go without one

I ordered a GPEL tempered glass one because I heard good things about the S7 edge version. I actually received it a couple weeks ago so I was ready for when my S8+ arrived. Well when it came time to putting it on I opened the box to find it was shattered. So now I'm waiting on a replacement from GPEL which hopefully should be here sometime this week and I can let you guys know how good/bad it is.

Izayoi

Banned
Having a really bad time with Samsung customer service regarding their promotion. I put in an order and they charged my card on Friday but it has not shipped. I've been on hold for over an hour...

Treo360

I too can vouch for the Spigen ultra hybrid, nice case, doesn't take away from the phone at all, and feels secure to boot, and while I just got it, I received my nextec tempered glass screen protector and it works just fine with the case, feels fine and looks just as good.

Jeffrey

Snagged the s view case. Surprised that it fits my car mount fine. Must be due to the flap design. It not working with aod is kinda dumb, but I like how it's smart about locking screen when you flip the cover one. Stand mode is nice too.

Not worth $60,but it's the best flip case out there that's not a wallet style

Socivol

Wow I just want to say the difference in battery as of right now is ridiculous between this and my s6 edge.

With my s6 id be in like in the 40%'s with the use I did today. I came back home and I have 74 fucking %.

I think it's more of a testament to just how shitty s6 battery was

S6 battery was horrible. I had to upgrade to the Note 5 because the S6 battery life was abysmal.

Azerare

I upgraded from S6 edge to the S8+. This is kinda like culture shock.

What cases and screen protectors are you using and having good experience?

CornDogg

I tried a few cases.

I didn't try other cases, but happened to start with the Ultra Hybrid. Mine doesn't feel loose either, and it doesn't add too much bulk to the phone. Overall, I'm pleased with my decision.

I upgraded from S6 edge to the S8+. This is kinda like culture shock.

What cases and screen protectors are you using and having good experience?

I'm using a Incipio case right now. I will probably get the Spigen Ultra Hybrid or a Ringke case. I'm not sure how good you are with phone drops or scratches, but I wouldn't use a screen protector. In my opinion it just doesn't feel right. When I get more comfortable and bold I will take it out of the case, but right now this phone is like a newborn baby to me lol

CronoShot

Is the silver S8 actually silver this year?

I remember last year the silver S7 Edge was really more chrome than anything. Super reflective, and in most warm lighting it looked gold.

Oof. Luckily I had a WiFi smart TV but man I didn't think I'd miss the IR sensor this much. Shame it's gone.

Also shake PEEL remote seems to be the only decent one with a lock screen widget

I have a Ringke Onyx case for my S8 Plus and it's a bit loose on the sides. It's a bummer because I've always had Ringke cases for all my phones.

Jeffrey

been ages since ive been on a case frenzy for a phone... maybe since iphone 4?

got one of those spigen heavy duty ones with a stand, tomorrow.

Love this phone. The display is on another level. I ended up getting the +. I don't buy protective covers anymore. My S7 survived so much abuse, and it was still in pretty great condition. No scratches to the screen, or backside. I dropped that phone so many times.

Nicko

Haven't upgraded a phone in a few years, and have been eyeing the S8 for my wife and I.

Just curious if people are dropping $750-850 cash on this thing, or doing the payment plans? Seems like a ton of cash to drop on a whim. I'm used to the 2year contract subsidized phone promotions, which I just learned are sadly no longer offered (on Verizon at least)...

vatstep

Has anyone had any issues with their LED notifications?

Sometimes the specific apps will use different colors, or just not work at all and it's starting to frustrate me. I've tried disabling and re-enabling/defaulting every setting I can find yet still can't get any sort of consistency with the way the lights work.

Top Bottom