• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Vlaphor

Just starting seeing significant burn in on my S8+. I can clearly see the chrome logo in the background, plus what looks to be the always on bar at the bottom of the screen and some words at the top of the screen. I already had a green pixel that would come and go on darker screens, but this is too much. I'm gonna swing by Sprint tomorrow and see if they can do anything about this. This is the first smart phone I've ever had with screen burn in and I've been using smart phones since the Iphone 3g

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Just starting seeing significant burn in on my S8+. I can clearly see the chrome logo in the background, plus what looks to be the always on bar at the bottom of the screen and some words at the top of the screen. I already had a green pixel that would come and go on darker screens, but this is too much. I'm gonna swing by Sprint tomorrow and see if they can do anything about this. This is the first smart phone I've ever had with screen burn in and I've been using smart phones since the Iphone 3g

Get a screen burn-in fix app and run it for a few mins?

Just got one of the Speck branded grip cases for my standard S8.

Not familiar with their line of cases, so could anyone tell me if it's normal that the lip on the bottom part of the case that hugs the bottom portion of phone (charger port, headphone jack) slightly bulges outward? Case feels snug enough. Just didn't know if this was a common thing.

rc213

Just got one of the Speck branded grip cases for my standard S8.

Not familiar with their line of cases, so could anyone tell me if it's normal that the lip on the bottom part of the case that hugs the bottom portion of phone (charger port, headphone jack) slightly bulges outward? Case feels snug enough. Just didn't know if this was a common thing.

Sound like your talking about a slight lip to give the screen protection when placed screen side down?

BriGuy

I made the mistake of enabling bixby just to give it a shot, and now my phone makes super loud sounds when it unlocks that I can't disable. Also, I randomly seem to get full screen notifications that I'm not earning bixby points or advancing bixby levels and I don't got time or patience for that shit.

Vlaphor

Well, I've left the screen burn in app on for a few hours with no change. I went to Sprint, who gave me the number to contact Samsung. I called them and they said I can send in the phone, but they'll need it for seven business day, and I can't do that, since my job relies on me having a phone. Not sure what to do next, but I'm pretty upset that a phone I've had for about three months already has noticeable burn in.

Also, I checked what was burned in and it was Waze.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I made the mistake of enabling bixby just to give it a shot, and now my phone makes super loud sounds when it unlocks that I can't disable. Also, I randomly seem to get full screen notifications that I'm not earning bixby points or advancing bixby levels and I don't got time or patience for that shit.

lmao

I am glad, I have not once activated Bixby, not even by mistake opened it.

Well, I've left the screen burn in app on for a few hours with no change. I went to Sprint, who gave me the number to contact Samsung. I called them and they said I can send in the phone, but they'll need it for seven business day, and I can't do that, since my job relies on me having a phone. Not sure what to do next, but I'm pretty upset that a phone I've had for about three months already has noticeable burn in.

Also, I checked what was burned in and it was Waze.

Ya that sucks. I would get a burner phone for cheap. You should have keep mid-cheap range phone anyways. Incase something happens to your current phone.

I'm waiting for Verizon to have a good deal/promotion on the s8 before I make the switch.

I pre ordered the s7, so I'm just more hesitant now.

As someone who was a rabid fan of the Note 2 and 4, is Samsung bringing back the replaceable battery?

I went with an LG V20 this last generation because it had comparable specs to the other flagships and way better than Apple (513 ppi, 256 gb microSD slot, 4 GB RAM, and some really nice audio hardware), but like all Li-Ion batteries it eventually started losing some maximum capacity. Replaced it with a fresh battery, did a full system restore for the hell of it, and now I've got a phone that performs like it just rolled out of the factory.

If it doesn't have a replaceable battery then it's basically taking a phone that's powerful enough to be useful for 5+ years, and giving it an artificial 2 year lifespan, after which you have to throw the damn thing away or void warranty trying (and often failing) to replace it.

JettDash

As someone who was a rabid fan of the Note 2 and 4, is Samsung bringing back the replaceable battery?

I went with an LG V20 this last generation because it had comparable specs to the other flagships and way better than Apple (513 ppi, 256 gb microSD slot, 4 GB RAM, and some really nice audio hardware), but like all Li-Ion batteries it eventually started losing some maximum capacity. Replaced it with a fresh battery, did a full system restore for the hell of it, and now I've got a phone that performs like it just rolled out of the factory.

If it doesn't have a replaceable battery then it's basically taking a phone that's powerful enough to be useful for 5+ years, and giving it an artificial 2 year lifespan, after which you have to throw the damn thing away or void warranty trying (and often failing) to replace it.

I highly doubt it.

Log4Girlz

Supposedly this battery holds up very well

Treo360

Thanks for the heads up on the best buy sale. My home is now officially off windows 10 mobile (r.i.p.) My wife absolutely hates switching phones and os's, but over the course of the week she absolutely loves her s8. She can't put it down.

NeOak

Thanks for the heads up on the best buy sale. My home is now officially off windows 10 mobile (r.i.p.) My wife absolutely hates switching phones and os's, but over the course of the week she absolutely loves her s8. She can't put it down.
RIP W10M

To this day Windows Phone 8 and above is my favorite interface but the complete lack of support.....sad

Upset that this is the first phone I've bought a wallet case, or any case at all for and there's already in less than a month a scratch on the top of the screen I can't explain. Alas, should get a screen protector in the morning.

CatPee

I'm waiting for Verizon to have a good deal/promotion on the s8 before I make the switch.

I pre ordered the s7, so I'm just more hesitant now.

Walk into a Best Buy and do an upgrade. Comes to $420 plus tax that you can pay over 2 years or right away if you call VZW. Pretty good price for a 3-month old device.

Dropped mine from about 2ft high (was sitting) and the screen cracked like crazy....onky had it for 1 month. First phone I've ever cracked. I can't believe how easily it cracked as well. Kinda salty about it.

Have insurance and it's still a $200 deductible fml...

What's even worse is one big crack goes right across the front of the front camera so any time I try to take a pic it's all blurry and messed up.

Just upgraded from the S5. I absolutely love it! The orchid grey is a really awesome colour. My phone feels super fragile though. Are those tempered glass screen protectors a good idea guys?

Just upgraded from the S5. I absolutely love it! The orchid grey is a really awesome colour. My phone feels super fragile though. Are those tempered glass screen protectors a good idea guys?

If you want to protect the phone, the only way is a case.

The tempered glass is for scratch protection, not impact protection.

If you want to preserve the look of the phone just get a transparent one. The hard she'll type though, not the flexible TPU ones as they tend to turn yellow after a while and arent as protective.

darklin0

Banned
I got the S8+ last weekend. Damn, I love this phone.

I have been watching HD movies on it and it is easily the best screen in my home at the moment. I love that everything is so damn fast! I may be a greater impact to me due upgrading from the Note3, but I happy as hell. Camera quality is great and I have been taking tons of pictures and videos, will probably pick up a 256gb card soon.

So far this phone is a perfect 5/5.

EBreda

I was waiting for the Pixel2 (still am until official reveal anyway) but the s8+ will probably be my pick.

I'll wait till BF deals for an unlocked international version though.

BTW, are there any hardware differences between US and Intl versions this time around?

Treo360

I was waiting for the Pixel2 (still am until official reveal anyway) but the s8+ will probably be my pick.

I'll wait till BF deals for an unlocked international version though.

BTW, are there any hardware differences between US and Intl versions this time around?

International will have a different Chipset, ram quantity (I believe up to 6gb), storage size and dual Sim.

ag-my001

Does anyone else notice a brightness gradient on their S8+? I just got mine two days ago, and I noticed while reading a book that the bottom of the screen (near home button) was a bit darker than the top. It stayed that way while rotating the phone, so I know it wasn't Play Books. I can also see it when a screen is mostly one color, like websites. It's very gradual, but noticeable from about halfway down the screen.

kirblar

Does anyone else notice a brightness gradient on their S8+? I just got mine two days ago, and I noticed while reading a book that the bottom of the screen (near home button) was a bit darker than the top. It stayed that way while rotating the phone, so I know it wasn't Play Books. I can also see it when a screen is mostly one color, like websites. It's very gradual, but noticeable from about halfway down the screen.
No, that's not normal. You may want to see if you can exchange it.

BioFan

Samsung had a trade in event here in my country.
Traded in my S7 Edge for the S8, got it with a Samsung case and screen protector, and I only need to pay around $320!
Wohoo...loving it so far. Enjoying it more than my S7 Edge too.

TalonJH

No problems with Bixby here except having to say "Hi Bixby" out loud.

First I feel like it should be "hey" and I just don't like the name Bixby.

Just messing around with my friend's s8s and love how it looks and feels.

Haven't felt thus way about a phone since thr iphone 4, the pixel and iPhone 7 just look and feel do bland in comparison.

Will 100% buy one sometime this or next week.

Madness

While I miss the Note stylus, I love this phone. No slowdown, haven't restarted in 2 months. Battery life is solid. I use 3 cases with this. All OEM Samsung. The Alcantara lamborghini-styled suede, the Silicone case and the clear protective cover. I also have full wet application coverage on the entire phone, sides bottom and back. Recently got a Gear VR and this phone just flies through the apps and quality is great in WQHD mode.

RenditMan

Banned

Replacing the battery is a relatively trivial job for a Samsung service centre.

RenditMan

Banned
And how much would they charge for that? Not that I really care, I'm not keeping my S8 for that long.

It wasn't a lot for the S7 edge when I enquired. The guy in the shop said with the right Samsung tools it's very easy to pop the back off.

It only took them an hour to replace the cracked screen on it as well.

This is a really silly question, but, are there any suggestions for an alarm clock like the stock one - where it shows up on the main screen like the stock one does - where you can enter more than 20 characters? Because that 20-character limit is really annoying. For instance, with the below alarm, I would have liked to write: "Dentist at 12:00. Remember it's going to be raining afterwards" or something. But due to the character limit, "Dentist: 12. Rain" has to suffice.

Note: Yes, I know I can just schedule it in Google's Calendar. But I like having it sitting on the main screen staring at me like that so I can remember/take note of it before it goes off.

TBwwl5E.jpg

Mascot

FINALLY got my S8 after a prolonged bureaucratic nightmare at work.

Need a good case recommendation now please GAF. Something non-bulky and easy to grip.

Top Bottom