• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Apparently work has some agreement with the samsung to use their employee partner portal online store so I picked one up for £500ish will come tomorrow. Can't wait.

Picked up the Spigen Liquid Air black case. It's a shame the Diztronic TPU S8 case is supposed to be meh, I loved their one plus one and have been using it since release.

lionelhutz

Is anyone using the Bixby alarm card?

I only have one alarm set, 0630, repeating M-F, with Bixby Briefing enabled.

During the day the card will show that an alarm is set, but the time for my alarm is incorrect (0400). Later in the day, the card will update and show the actual time the alarm is set for. It's kind of annoying that it doesn't show the correct alarm time during the day. Any suggestions? I've already deleted and recreated the alarm.

NeOak

Is anyone using the Bixby alarm card?

I only have one alarm set, 0630, repeating M-F, with Bixby Briefing enabled.

During the day the card will show that an alarm is set, but the time for my alarm is incorrect (0400). Later in the day, the card will update and show the actual time the alarm is set for. It's kind of annoying that it doesn't show the correct alarm time during the day. Any suggestions? I've already deleted and recreated the alarm.

Do not rely on Bixby for important stuff. Use the built-in clock app.

lionelhutz

This is a really silly question, but, are there any suggestions for an alarm clock like the stock one - where it shows up on the main screen like the stock one does - where you can enter more than 20 characters? Because that 20-character limit is really annoying. For instance, with the below alarm, I would have liked to write: "Dentist at 12:00. Remember it's going to be raining afterwards" or something. But due to the character limit, "Dentist: 12. Rain" has to suffice.

Note: Yes, I know I can just schedule it in Google's Calendar. But I like having it sitting on the main screen staring at me like that so I can remember/take note of it before it goes off.

TBwwl5E.jpg

Separate the alarm and reminder between the two stock apps.

Hasney

Anyone having an issue with delayed notifications? Everything takes hours to come through right now other than YouTube. Inbox, Android Pay, SMS....

Separate the alarm and reminder between the two stock apps.

But Reminders don't have their text displayed on the home screen all the time, only when they trigger.
I want the text to constantly be there, and not only appearing at a certain time.

EDIT: Apparently I can have a list on the home screen if I use a huge widget... That's far less than ideal too.

sun-drop

does anyone here have a daydream AND a gear VR?

i know from owning a gear that i can toggle oculus off via thirdparty apps and use youtube etc ..... so what exactly do we gain having offical daydream support? i guess aaccess to the launcher/storefront?

i see the setup proccess of the daydream app requires a pairing stage so on way to get around that with out a daydream headset

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The calendar app is useless. Doesn't even notify me if events.

Is there any widget that displays the events of the day on my homepage with nova?

EDIT: Sorted

Izuna

Banned
So I just got one of these babies!

£490 on Vodaphone but it will unlock in 30 days so I am borrow a 5S to tether my data for now. Practically mint condition, just lacked earphones (but I have SoundMAGIC E10Cs so I don't care haha).

---

Phone History (not including duplicate replacements):

Samsung Omnia 7 (WP7)
Lumia 800 (WP7.8)
Lumia 920 (WP8)
Lumia 925 (WP8.1)
Lumia 950 XL (W10)
Lumia 930 (W10)
iPhone 6S (for about a week, fucking hated my life while I had it)
Galaxy S7 (for about a week)
Galaxy S8 <-- current

THIS PHONE IS SOLID ORGASM

I miss a few things about Windows Phone, but a few apps have helped me thus far. Namely, DailyPic, which sets my background to a daily Bing! picture.

Is there anything that can do that for the lockscreen without having to download the photos prior? Anything that does Spotlight for example?

What about Display settings? I'm a hobbyist when it comes to colour correction, should I just leave it on Basic? Do I need Video Enhancer enabled for HDR? (I hate what it does to SDR content).

What does AMOLED Cinema do?

Finally, any cheap places to buy the new VR Headset? I have a Rift so I'd only use it for videos, I guess.

Any case tips? I have one atm, silicone one but it won't fit with any screen protectors at work.

:D I'm so happy to have this.

I've got 2 issues with the phone right now.

My 4g download speed is like 1/4 of what it was on the Oneplus One, this can't be right. Wifi is fine, 4g Upload is fine.

What is the hot keys to getting to the settings for apps? Like this is what I mean. On my opo it was tapping the bottom left button but just opens up the recent app drawer thing on my S8. Speak of that I can't hold one of those recent apps to go straight into recent info if I needed to to like this.
How do I turn that on.

Also how do I get the phone to stop asking me for permission every damn time I connect it to my computer.

Loving it otherwise.

Izuna

Banned
So, hours later...

Got I fucking love this phone. Daily pic, SwiftKey, Navbar Apps are the best things I got.

I love how the keyboard looks etc. I just need a way to get Segoe on this phone and everything is perfect.

Very happy that the Navbar is black now (even has a cool visualisation when music plays)

What I wish I could change is the colour of chrome'URL bar to be black... And maybe get rid of the camera window for the iris scanner. I don't need to see my handsome face all the time you know?

I also wish I could remove the Samsung keyboard because rn, the icon for changing the keyboard is always there and it sucks.

I got the GearVR ordered for tomorrow, with the controller to boot.

So far, I am very happy with this phone. I wish the lockscreen could be set to spotlight though, it sucks that it never changes.

Edit: I almost forgot. I keep one page of apps on the home screen, then I have my All Apps window have everything inside two folders.. Home (what I have pinned) and extras (shit I never use or configure apps). Stuff like YouTube which I never use, or clock, are left in the All Apps menu because I would otherwise rarely use them.

It looks relatively okay. It isn't Windows Phone, but then nothing really is.

Izuna

Banned
Oh wow, apparently you can remove it with the package disabler. Now I just need the somehow make the Box by button a camera one. :D android aint bad when you have hours

Esqueleto

Banned
What is the hot keys to getting to the settings for apps? Like this is what I mean. On my opo it was tapping the bottom left button but just opens up the recent app drawer thing on my S8
That button was removed a long time ago. Google wants app developers to use the 3 dot menu on the top right instead. Old apps built for gingerbread and below should be the only ones showing it.
I can't hold one of those recent apps to go straight into recent info if I needed to to like this.
How do I turn that on.
You have to hold the app icon first. Then an i will appear on the top right of it.

Not sure about the last one. You can try setting your home as a trusted place so your phone is always unlocked. Or if your pc has bluetooth, pair it and set it as a trusted device.

Mascot

Seriously, FUCK that Bixby button. Every fucking time I lock my phone or try to turn it off.

Any solutions? Can I disable that button without using acid?

Izuna

Banned
Seriously, FUCK that Bixby button. Every fucking time I lock my phone or try to turn it off.

Any solutions? Can I disable that button without using acid?

I gave up trying to change it. You can disable the Bixby services, though.

~~

http://imgur.com/a/U9IAk <-- album of screenshots of my phone's settings.

Swiftkey working good, got my arrow keys which were always important coming from WP (it had a dial sort of thing). Samsung Keyboard is removed so the icon doesn't show up :D

NavBar is customised to be 100% black but will show sound being played (good for reminding me I am in a call, actually).

I keep Basic enabled for accurate Rec.709 colour, but I have a shortcut that opens up the configuration on the Home Screen :D (the colour palette looking icon).

Phone is every bit of sexy but I really hope to never have to do this much configuration anymore.

Izuna

Banned
How do you disable it? And what then happens when I press that button?

I did it with BK Disabler.

But I didn't test it more than that.

--

Any reason by Line doesn't show me the video when I lost focus anymore? Maybe I have to reinstall :(

Edit:nvm found out how

How do I change the lock screen wall paper? All I can find is the regular wall paper options. Holding down the lock screen simply displays the regular wallpaper and nothing else.

Also on my oneplus one there was an option to allow the double clicking of volume buttons either on earphones or the phone to skip to the next/last song respectively, is there an option for this? Is there a good app replacement?

4G speed seems to have gotten back to normal, odd, maybe there's a break in time or something.

Anyways, first day taking it to work, battery seems pretty good better than my Opo, love the size tbh.

However the fast charge stuff doesn't seem to make it any faster than my Opo (/w S4 charger) at charging.

Really like the Black liquid air spigen case I got.

That button was removed a long time ago. Google wants app developers to use the 3 dot menu on the top right instead. Old apps built for gingerbread and below should be the only ones showing it.

You have to hold the app icon first. Then an i will appear on the top right of it.

Not sure about the last one. You can try setting your home as a trusted place so your phone is always unlocked. Or if your pc has bluetooth, pair it and set it as a trusted device.

Ah cheers mate.

kirblar

Are Sprint and T-Mobile branded phones compatible? A friend's friend is trying to see if it's worth adding a +10 add a line for a few months w/ T-Mobile for a BOGO.

Vlaphor

Should I be concerned with burn in on my S8+ if I use the always on screen function?

Still, the S8+ is extremely prone to burn in with other apps though. I have the Waze UI clearly burnt into my screen. Need to send it in to get it fixed, but I'm just dragging my feet on that due to how much I use my phone for my job and how I'm not a hurry to go back to the S5 for a couple of weeks.

Carnby

I picked up an S8 Plus due to Best Buy's excellent sale.

While the phone runs and looks better than my old s6, I haven't seen any new features that have impressed me.

Also, Bixby is terrible. Nearly worthless. It doesn't understand anything I say, it only works with a handful of apps, and when it does, it doesn't work very well.

Regardless, I was due for a new phone so I'm still happy with this purchase.

That's more mobile devices in general right now.

Yeah, before decided on the S8 I tried out all the competitors and thought the same thing,

If I didn't need a better camera on my phone and it wasn't giving me issues turning on sometimes I'd have no reason to upgrade from my oneplus.

I only chose the S8 because of the camera, screen, and how sexy it looks and feels. Otherwise smart phones are so boringly similar it doesn't matter what you have, iphone or android.

Also, double post but on my Opo I could access my clock and calendar by tapping on the time or date on the pull down/notifications menu, can you really not do this on the S8? How are you supposed to open these besides clicking the icons?

I like using the finger sensor to open and close notifications panel, wish it had some more options, like holding it to use as a home button or something.

tbh I have no issues with using that sensor in general, was a bit worried because people were making a big deal about it being effort to press but even with smallish hands I have no issues using it, never touch the camera lens either, just slid my finger from the left side.

the only time I was like oh I kind of get the complaints was when my phone was laying on my desk and I was standing near it and wanted to turn it on, but was too high for the iris scanner, and the fingerprint scanner was on the back, and I cba to put in the pin, so I had to pick up the phone, the humanity.

I've always used tempered glass for my phones, but apparently they're all bad for the Edge?

Is that true, and if so what's a good alternative?

Thin scratches all over my screen:(

Fuck sake, made sure to take extra care with my handset as Well!

Ugh, this is going to drive me crazy.

Will wait a few weeks and try to get the screen replaced before whacking a screen protector on here.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Thin scratches all over my screen:(

Fuck sake, made sure to take extra care with my handset as Well!

Ugh, this is going to drive me crazy.

Will wait a few weeks and try to get the screen replaced before whacking a screen protector on here.

that's weird, I have been using it without the SP since I got it a month ago. Not a single scratch. But then of course, I always make sure that I don't have my keys and change in the same pocket as my phone.

NeOak

Damn, so there are really no good screen protectors for the Edge?

How do people survive?

By praying to God every morning for no scratches and wearing silk gloves to handle the phone.

just put a regular wet install film protector and hope nothing hits the screen

By praying to God every morning for no scratches and wearing silk gloves to handle the phone.

But everything I own has tempered glass on it...

I just wanted the cool new toy!

raidersx

Kinda torn between getting the regular s8 or the plus. I like the smaller form factor but it has a smaller battery, coming from a s7e i wonder if that will be a problem and ill miss it.

Hate how those pet screen protectors feel, bought a tpu one and while it looked great I haaaated how it felt all rubbery so I removed it.

Just going naked screen hoping the case is good enough for the foreseeable future. In the eventually I crack the front I'll just shell out.

I used an iPhone 4 without scratching or cracking any part of it for 4 years so fingers crossed.

that's weird, I have been using it without the SP since I got it a month ago. Not a single scratch. But then of course, I always make sure that I don't have my keys and change in the same pocket as my phone.
Please point out where in my post I said I did?

I've had a spingen slim armour case on it from day one and it's spent most it's time on my desk as I work.

It's the best handset I've had and I've taken ridiculous care with it. So it's a major frustration.

For about a week I'm having an issue where my s8+ screen will not turn on or it will freeze and I need to do a reboot to get it back on.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this happen and have a solution?

rc213

Time to celebrate, $790 rebate from Samsung just got deposited in my account. Wooooooo!

Loving the battery on this phone after a month. Screen time is insane usually end up with 40-50% 4-5 SoT.

Top Bottom