• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

I have a film protector no problem at all breh. At all.

Those feel so shitty tho. TPU and PET. PET ones look horrible and feel meh, TPU ones look fine but feel horrible. Tempered glass ones are the only ones I've ever found usable.

I'm fine going naked tbh.

I've seen those liquid screen protectors, but I don't trust that they actually do anything.

Treo360

After several months, I overall really like this phone, but I HATE the screen being curved. It requires a tempered glass screen protector and makes it really hard to install.
If you're willing to pay for it, I suggest the whitestone dome glass screen protector. It's pricey, and you only really have one shot to get it on right, but man oh man, it's great.

TalonJH

Off topic but is anyone having trouble with Bixby today? After talking about it in this thread earlier it now says try later no matter what command I give it. It was working fine before.

Edit(8/24/17): It's working again for me.

I really like the News Today app in the Bixby Labs. A playlist of some news podcasts from today.

Bixby has surprised me after the update. It won't open Spotify for me anymore though but it's not a big deal. I like earning XP by using it as well.

KillGore

Hey guys need some advice. Thinking of buying a galaxy S8+. Looking at this ebay auction and the phone appears to be unlocked. Will it work on Sprint?? I asked the seller but he doesn't know. Don't know much about buying unlocked phones. Thanks!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Which one do you have??

I feel like it really need a screen protector, even when the guys at the store told me there was none because of the curved shape.

Those feel so shitty tho. TPU and PET. PET ones look horrible and feel meh, TPU ones look fine but feel horrible. Tempered glass ones are the only ones I've ever found usable.

I'm fine going naked tbh.

I've seen those liquid screen protectors, but I don't trust that they actually do anything.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0727V2V7X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Just install careful barely could tell that it's there. Keep the edges clean as you install and it'll blend in quite nicely.

Reave

Has anyone had problems with low/muffled sound quality with AUX connections? I'm at a loss about why it's so bad, and none of the solutions I've found online seem to work. What gives?

kirblar

Thank you! I'm also looking for an S8+ but for AT&T. Know if there is a deal out there somewhere like the one for Sprint? Anyways, thanks!!
For AT&T check out the trade-in promo they're running on Samsung.com. IIRC AT&T's promos on the phone mostly tie into DirectTV and kinda suck, Verizon/Sprints have been good especially via Best Buy, and w/ T-Mobile you probably want to wait for a BOGO w an add-a-line or go through Samsung.com as well.

Mascot

What are the best qi chargers for the S8?
Any hands-on personal recommendations?

I'm guessing nobody here uses a qi charger?

Anyway, after a couple of bad eBay experiences with genuine-but-obviously-fake Samsung chargers I've bought some different ones to try. I'm not particularly bothered about fast charging as the phone will likely be sitting there for hours on trickle.

This one looks quite interesting, in a daft kind of way. It's got a geeky voice telling you various things. I'd never normally buy something like this but quite like the aesthetic and there were two on Amazon Warehouse for less that £3 each, delivered. So not much of a gamble.

SCELTECH-Qi-Wireless-font-b-Charger-b-font-font-b-Voice-b-font-assistant-Remind-Charging.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdisVfgZcUM

I also got a Belkin one for about £7 which has a classy design, performs well and looks great in front of the TV.

brau

I'm guessing nobody here uses a qi charger?

Anyway, after a couple of bad eBay experiences with genuine-but-obviously-fake Samsung chargers I've bought some different ones to try. I'm not particularly bothered about fast charging as the phone will likely be sitting there for hours on trickle.

This one looks quite interesting, in a daft kind of way. It's got a geeky voice telling you various things. I'd never normally buy something like this but quite like the aesthetic and there were two on Amazon Warehouse for less that £3 each, delivered. So not much of a gamble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdisVfgZcUM

I also got a Belkin one for about £7 which has a classy design, performs well and looks great in front of the TV.

Are they really pricey? I would like to get one for my desk at work. But i have no idea where to start or look for in one of these.

Mascot

Are they really pricey? I would like to get one for my desk at work. But i have no idea where to start or look for in one of these.

They used to be. Cheap as chips now. And so, so, SO much more convenient than plugging a cable in. No chance of damaging your USB port as well.

Some people swear by the fake Samsung ones from eBay but there are enough genuine other brands out there for good prices, especially if fast charging isn't important to you.

There's LOTS of choice. Just search 'qi charger' on Amazon or eBay.

Ikea do them, at least here in Australia. They also have a desk lamp and a bedside lamp with it built in, my wife and I have one each at the side of our bed. Really handy just getting into bed and putting it on the lamp as you turn it off. Also works through the Samsung LCD case, which is my favourite case ever, noticed many cases have to be removed first.

Mascot

Ikea do them, at least here in Australia. They also have a desk lamp and a bedside lamp with it built in, my wife and I have one each at the side of our bed. Really handy just getting into bed and putting it on the lamp as you turn it off. Also works through the Samsung LCD case, which is my favourite case ever, noticed many cases have to be removed first.
I have an old qi charger that won't work unless there's a case on the phone. Must need the extra separation or something.

Speaking of wirless charging has anyone used the Ikea riggad lamp with the S8? I've recently picked up scale modeling and it has made me notice that my lighting situation is very poor unless it's super bright out, so I was thinking about picking up a bright lamp anyways.

If this works fine with the S8 it'd 2 birds one stone and all that.

Speaking of wirless charging has anyone used the Ikea riggad lamp with the S8? I've recently picked up scale modeling and it has made me notice that my lighting situation is very poor unless it's super bright out, so I was thinking about picking up a bright lamp anyways.

If this works fine with the S8 it'd 2 birds one stone and all that.

I'm using a wireless charging lamp myself for my S8+. It works great, it doesn't charge at the same pace as fast charging but still at a good pace

Um so my S8 was being a little weird (nova crashing when trying uninstall city mapper) so I restarted it and now it's perma stuck on the samsung logo and getting really warm.

What the fuck? I've had this phone for all of 3 weeks at most?

netBuff

Hey guys, just bought two Samsung Galaxy S8+. After that I purchased a couple of wireless charging docks but then noticed that they don't include chargers. Looking at a couple of chargers and don't know what would be the best for them. Help?

24W Quick Charge 3.0

18W Quick Charge 3.0

or

Samsung 25W proprietary charger

?

Other suggestions are also appreciated.

Anything QuickCharge 2.0 or 3.0 compatible will work. Be aware that chargers are commonly fakes on Amazon, so you're probably better off buying somewhere more trustworthy.

Another option would be to buy an Anker as they sell directly via Amazon, so no possibility of getting a fake via mixed inventory: https://www.anker.com/products/108/203/Wall-Chargers

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GAF, deciding between a this or a iPhone 7 Plus, thoughts between them?

Right now, wait a few weeks. 7S might have wireless charging and/or a new design which might appeal. Likewise the Iphone 8 might be something you want. Otherwise the 7+ will likely drop $100

Sanjuro

Had to factory reset this bitch, only thing that would work, now I have to spend the next couple hours restoring everything ruined my whole fucking sunday plans.

Man 3 years of owning a oneplus one and 4 years of an iPhone 4 with no issues and this piece of shit fucks up within a month. 1/2 a mind to just return it, fucking phones shouldn't be wasting my days off.

Sanjuro

Had to factory reset this bitch, only thing that would work, now I have to spend the next couple hours restoring everything ruined my whole fucking sunday plans.

Man 3 years of owning a oneplus one and 4 years of an iPhone 4 with no issues and this piece of shit fucks up within a month. 1/2 a mind to just return it, fucking phones shouldn't be wasting my days off.

Why did you factory reset the phone?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Bad luck. I had to factory reset my two month old iPhone 7, on instructions from Apple support. Had to switch sim cards to a backup android phone cause the whole process took so long. I still have no idea what caused my bootloop.

Because it randomly decided to get stuck on on the booting screen (flashing samsung logo thing) and nothing else worked.
I might have to factory reset my phone too as my battery life has gone to hell and I don't want to bother uninstalling apps and testing until I find out the culprit. My device (AT&T S8+) got an update last night so I will try it for a few days and if keeps acting up I will actually have to reset the thing.

AT&T seems to have done an update recently for stability/speed. I'm hoping that whatever issues had come up that would occasionally (randomly) freeze my phone forcing me to manually reboot have been taken care of.

I haven't had a freeze in over a week fortunately, so maybe it was something iffy that is no longer an issue with my day to day use of the phone. Knowing them we'll be the last to get Oreo out of all of the major phone companies.

netBuff

I might have to factory reset my phone too as my battery life has gone to hell and I don't want to bother uninstalling apps and testing until I find out the culprit. My device (AT&T S8+) got an update last night so I will try it for a few days and if keeps acting up I will actually have to reset the thing.

Search for "Battery" in settings, select it and press the "Battery usage" button to see a detailed breakdown on what's using up your battery.

Search for "Battery" in settings, select it and press the "Battery usage" button to see a detailed breakdown on what's using up your battery.
I already did that and put to sleep most apps to save some battery. Now today, after the AT&T update, I've had an almost 14 hrs of battery with almost 5 hours of SOT which I haven't had since I bought the thing. Hopefully it's back to normal now!

ISee

Thinking about switching from my S6 edge to the S8 this week. Reading some reviews and seems to be a cool phone, it also looks awesome (imo). Any buyers remorse from early adopters so far? Also, out of curiosity, why is Samsung using different CPUs for EU and US? Are there any kind of differences I need to know about? (I'll be buying the EU version)

Log4Girlz

Thinking about switching from my S6 edge to the S8 this week. Reading some reviews and seems to be a cool phone, it also looks awesome (imo). Any buyers remorse from early adopters so far? Also, out of curiosity, why is Samsung using different CPUs for EU and US? Are there any kind of differences I need to know about? (I'll be buying the EU version)

King Gilga?

Mascot

I went from an S6E to the S8 a couple of weeks ago and I love it.
It improves over the S6E in just about every department but the rear-placed fingerprint scanner unlock is particularly awesome, perfectly placed and with instant recognition. The scanner on my S6E always took a few attempts but the S8 one hasn't stuttered once.

kirblar

I went from an S6E to the S8 a couple of weeks ago and I love it.
It improves over the S6E in just about every department but the rear-placed fingerprint scanner unlock is particularly awesome, perfectly placed and with instant recognition. The scanner on my S6E always took a few attempts but the S8 one hasn't stuttered once.
You may be the first person I've seen praising the scanner location. :p

Top Bottom