• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

ISee

King Gilga?

?

I went from an S6E to the S8 a couple of weeks ago and I love it.
It improves over the S6E in just about every department but the rear-placed fingerprint scanner unlock is particularly awesome, perfectly placed and with instant recognition. The scanner on my S6E always took a few attempts but the S8 one hasn't stuttered once.

Glad to hear that it feels like a substantial upgrade. About the rear button. I had a LG G2 for a year (when it released) and I really liked the rear button so I'm absolutely not against them. Still most people seem to be unhappy about the position. We'll see how it goes for me, I guess.

Mascot

You may be the first person I've seen praising the scanner location. :p

Glad to hear that it feels like a substantial upgrade. About the rear button. I had a LG G2 for a year (when it released) and I really liked the rear button so I'm absolutely not against them. Still most people seem to be unhappy about the position. We'll see how it goes for me, I guess.

After reading the complaints it was probably my biggest concern before getting hands-on with the phone but it couldn't be more perfectly placed for me. I grab the phone in my right hand and my index finger naturally plops onto the scanner, guided by the cut-out in my Spigen case. I do have quite large hands though.

After reading the complaints it was probably my biggest concern before getting hands-on with the phone but it couldn't be more perfectly placed for me. I grab the phone in my right hand and my index finger naturally plops onto the scanner, guided by the cut-out in my Spigen case. I do have quite large hands though.

I have pretty long fingers, but it is quite the stretch. Miss the old physical home button on my note5.

The fingerprint scanner location is kinda universally disliked.

Mascot

I have pretty long fingers, but it is quite the stretch. Miss the old physical home button on my note5.

The fingerprint scanner location is kinda universally disliked.

I know, but I don't really understand why. Maybe I hold my phone in a scanner-friendly way.

hand-holding-a-smartphone-with-blank-screen-and-white-background_1232-1092.jpg

This is pretty close to how I naturally grip it, so my the index finger is nicely placed to naturally land on the scanner.

Mascot

This one looks quite interesting, in a daft kind of way. It's got a geeky voice telling you various things. I'd never normally buy something like this but quite like the aesthetic and there were two on Amazon Warehouse for less that £3 each, delivered. So not much of a gamble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdisVfgZcUM

These arrived today and seem to work great. Phone placement is nice and forgiving. The voice telling you when the phone is charged is obviously a gimmick but I think it'll be quite a useful one. Build quality seems good too. For about £2.85 delivered (with a USB cable, too) I'm more than happy!

brau

These arrived today and seem to work great. Phone placement is nice and forgiving. The voice telling you when the phone is charged is obviously a gimmick but I think it'll be quite a useful one. Build quality seems good too. For about £2.85 delivered (with a USB cable, too) I'm more than happy!

Nice.

I'll see if i can grab a couple. I really want one for home and one for my desk at work. This looks perfect.

Mascot

Nice.

I'll see if i can grab a couple. I really want one for home and one for my desk at work. This looks perfect.

After checking just now I think I got the last two. It was an Amazon Warehouse deal due to damaged packaging. I was going to buy a few more to give away as gifts to friends and family but they only have them at full price now (around £8 - £9 each).

black

white

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Just put my first crack/scratch in my screen by dropping the earbuds that came with the S8 onto it from a height of ~6 inches. Stay safe out there, S8+ GAF.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I've got the Choetech wireless charger. It's legit. Works on my S8+ and my wife's S6 even with our cases on.

Less than $20 on Amazon. Only problem is you don't get a power brick. You can get one separate though if you want to just leave it plugged in somewhere. We got ours on our bookshelf in our bedroom.

Amazon

BraXzy

There's an Edge Lighting update that just went live. Let's you customize it for notifications, is pretty sick.

Yeah spotted this earlier when on the edge app thing. Pretty cool.

You can now increase the width of the edge lighting and set a custom colour or even set it to match the "app colour" whatever that means.

The default/thinnest selection was nearly impossible to notice, I've bumped mine up to the second to last thickness.

kirblar

Yeah spotted this earlier when on the edge app thing. Pretty cool.

You can now increase the width of the edge lighting and set a custom colour or even set it to match the "app colour" whatever that means.

The default/thinnest selection was nearly impossible to notice, I've bumped mine up to the second to last thickness.
App color changes it so they match the primary color of the app sending the notification. So texts would be organge, Skype blue, etc.

Yeah, mines maxed out.

ISee

Guys (and girls) what 32GB micro SD card do you recommend?

edit:
nvm, bought the Samsung EVO Plus Micro SDXC 64GB. should work well enough and it isn't expansive.

kirblar

What's the advantage of edge lightning over the standard notification light?
What's the standard notification light on the S8? Edge lighting has the edge light up (and can be color-customized depending on the app.) Its a feature I had a on a phone 2+ years ago that I missed and am glad to have back.

I have the Verizon S8+ as well and I have been pleasantly and scarily surprised by the constant updates.

Apart from still being 7.1 the S8 receives all the security patches sorta on time so that's good. Also Samsung figured out (copied) how Google shifted plenty of stuff to Play Store updates and does the same for their system apps through the Galaxy Store or whatever it's called.

I don't even know what is missing on Samsungs 7.0 compared to Stock 7.1?

Mindwipe

Apart from still being 7.1 the S8 receives all the security patches sorta on time so that's good. Also Samsung figured out (copied) how Google shifted plenty of stuff to Play Store updates and does the same for their system apps through the Galaxy Store or whatever it's called.

I don't even know what is missing on Samsungs 7.0 compared to Stock 7.1?

Some of the implementation of popups from application icons to be available to 3rd party launchers is missing because it's in 7.1. It'd be nice to fix that, though it wasn't fully finished until Oreo anyway.

But honestly, that's the biggest thing.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
No Netflix HDR yet

You and your HDR. Idk why you are so on the nuts about this as all those horror movies you watch aren't in HDR anyways. :p

At any rate I assume once Apple comes out with HDR iPhone in Sept that Samsung will finally get off it's ass.

Madness

Anyone know how I can find updates available for Samsung system apps without having to turn on auto-update in galaxy apps or only know when you access the app that has an update? Meaning like how in Google Play you can see when there are uodates available for any apps you have. Is there any place I can see that for the Galaxy Apps? I didn't know about the edge lighting update till I read above and accessed it in settings and it said update available.

kirblar

Anyone know how I can find updates available for Samsung system apps without having to turn on auto-update in galaxy apps or only know when you access the app that has an update? Meaning like how in Google Play you can see when there are uodates available for any apps you have. Is there any place I can see that for the Galaxy Apps? I didn't know about the edge lighting update till I read above and accessed it in settings and it said update available.
"My Apps" under Galaxy apps. Its in the dot menu in the upper right. Agreed that its a bad interface that hides this necessary info.

Madness

"My Apps" under Galaxy apps. Its in the dot menu in the upper right. Agreed that its a bad interface that hides this necessary info.

Ah no wonder I didn't see it. I don't sign into the galaxy apps thing. So I would only see sign in and settings.

lionelhutz

What's the standard notification light on the S8? Edge lighting has the edge light up (and can be color-customized depending on the app.) Its a feature I had a on a phone 2+ years ago that I missed and am glad to have back.

The LED at the top left corner

Does anyone have problems with glare at the parts where it curves on the side, while watching a video? I was trying it in store and the glare due to the rounded slides was really bad.

JKRMA

Banned
Hey guys,

Just got the S8+ after I got my Nexus 6p severely water damaged(RIP). Loving it so far.

I have a few questions that I was hoping some of you can answer.

1) Do you only get the Edge Lightning notifications when your phone is facing down on a flat surface?

2)Do you guys always keep the AoD on?

3)As I am debating on giving Bixby a shot or simply replacing it altogether with Google Assistant, what has been your guys experience with it?

4)Most importantly, I have had the phone for a couple of day now and noticed today the Iris scanner on the front seems to be very blue/green all of a sudden. Is it normal for it to always reflect light like that with a blue/green tint? It is a bit distracting.

Majine

Banned
Got the S8 Plus yesterday.

First thing I did was install the Pixel Launcher and remove as much of the Samsung esthetics as I possibly could. Now it looks stunning.

I noticed that the display takes a moment to wake up, and it gradually fades in. But it's too slow. What can I do about that?

First thing I did was install the Pixel Launcher and remove as much of the Samsung esthetics as I possibly could. Now it looks stunning.

I noticed that the display takes a moment to wake up, and it gradually fades in. But it's too slow. What can I do about that?

I read that you can go to the developer options and disable animations. Just ordered my phone and read some things so I'm not sure if that helps lol

Like this: https://androidforums.com/threads/galaxy-s8-how-to-speed-up-animations.1142454/

ISee

I'm nervous to break my s8 black. What case/screen protection is everybody using? True it is a beautiful phone, but it also feels incredibly small and slippery. I bought the Samsung Clear View case with it, and it for sure offers good protection, but it also feels akward to hold in one hand, its heavy and it ruins the aesthetic a bit by increasing the thickness significantly.

Now I'm thinking about getting a combination of a case and a screen protector, but there is just to much stuff available.
The spiken liquid air, neo hybrid and the official alcantra case seem to be okayish but most tempered glass front covers don't seem to work with cases. So now I'm sitting here, very confused and no idea what to get.

I'm nervous to break my s8 black. What case/screen protection is everybody using? True it is a beautiful phone, but it also feels incredibly small and slippery. I bought the Samsung Clear View case with it, and it for sure offers good protection, but it also feels akward to hold in one hand, its heavy and it ruins the aesthetic a bit by increasing the thickness significantly.

Now I'm thinking about getting a combination of a case and a screen protector, but there is just to much stuff available.
The spiken liquid air, neo hybrid and the official alcantra case seem to be okayish but most tempered glass front covers don't seem to work with cases. So now I'm sitting here, very confused and no idea what to get.

I have the Spigen rugged armor. It's slimmer than the neo hybrid, but thicker than their slim cases. I think the liquid air is the same dimensions as the rugged just a different pattern/material on the back.

It served me well. Had plenty of drops and the phone did not break.

I have no screen protection as I read most screen protectors fit terribly? I have a few scratches on the display visible in direct sunlight, but eh, my phone is a tool and utility to me and I personally am not willing to trade aesthetic protection over function (for screen protection)

Though I feel a case is a necessity as this thing is quite slippery and needs more grip. If it didn't I would go naked.

Elitist1945

I've been trying to use a case on this phone (which just covers the back and sides) but it just makes it look so ugly and less satisfying to use. Plus dirt from my pocket gets stuck in between somehow so when I take the case off it scratches the phone.

I think I'll just keep it naked.

ISee

I'm not worried about small scratches. I'm worried about the phone falling down and the glas splattering. But I doubt that screen protectors, even tempered glass is able to help with that.

Anyway, we are grocery shopping and metro has the Samsung grey silicon cover for 17€. It is hard, doesn't add much bulk and feels surprisingly good. I think I will buy it.

kirblar

Me too, in gunmetal. I love it.

I never thought I'd find a use for the kickstand (never had one before, never felt the need) but I find I'm using it quite often.
With the screen as good as it is, I'm watching video way more often than on my prior (budget) smartphones.

Just put my first crack/scratch in my screen by dropping the earbuds that came with the S8 onto it from a height of ~6 inches. Stay safe out there, S8+ GAF.

I feel you man, dropped my phone from less than a feet height with a Spigen Tough Armor case on and still cracked the screen, posted pictures few pages ago I believe or in the Android thread, forgot where.

But yes, this phone is very fragile, I'm using the S8+ if at all it matters.

Where did you install the Pixel Launcher from?

Yeoman

I'm really tempted to upgrade from an S6 to the S8 but as someone that loves the fingerprint sensor on the S6; is the placement in the S8 that bad? Or can you get easily used to it?

I'm really tempted to upgrade from an S6 to the S8 but as someone that loves the fingerprint sensor on the S6; is the placement in the S8 that bad? Or can you get easily used to it?
I think it depends on the size of your hands. For me, my hands are actually the perfect size for my S8 plus, so when I hold it my finger tends to land right on the sensor or near it. Definitely go to the store and check each model out though since the sensor seems to be a pretty big deal for you.

TalonJH

Hey guys,

Just got the S8+ after I got my Nexus 6p severely water damaged(RIP). Loving it so far.

I have a few questions that I was hoping some of you can answer.

1) Do you only get the Edge Lightning notifications when your phone is facing down on a flat surface?

2)Do you guys always keep the AoD on?

3)As I am debating on giving Bixby a shot or simply replacing it altogether with Google Assistant, what has been your guys experience with it?

4)Most importantly, I have had the phone for a couple of day now and noticed today the Iris scanner on the front seems to be very blue/green all of a sudden. Is it normal for it to always reflect light like that with a blue/green tint? It is a bit distracting.

1.) Yes because of the rounded edge of the phone. I don't remember if the normal S8 has the rounded edge like the S7e or S8+.

2.) I have it off right now but Samsung says it doesn't use much battery.

3.) You can use both Bixby is better with system commands. Google is better with information gathering. You just say a different phrase for which one you want to use at the time.

Top Bottom