• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Officially Enters VR Market: Gear VR

Seanspeed

Banned
You didn't think a company would need to educate consumers on what it's new tech is?
Its not necessarily 'new', though. And I thought it'd be self-explanatory, but I guess some people really don't know what VR is, I guess.

Getting people to try it is important obviously, but this guy straight up has his mind made up that he doesn't even want to try it. And he wont be the only one. This sort of ignorance needs to be addressed by correcting people's misconceptions of what VR is.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
What's wrong with appreciating and prefering the existing technology?

Nothing, if you understand what both of them are. Clearly not the case here.

Human_me

We need more companies in the VR business just so its more likely to take off more!

Also it would be nice is Morpheus is a universal device rather than centred on the Playstation 4.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'm willing to bet the dozens of unborn technologies sitting next to you never had the support VR has behind it right now.

The point of my comment wasn't "it's here!" it was to downplay the guy's comment that implied this is some unknown piece of technology.
I don't think the guy's comment was about VR being some alien tech. I literally took is as 'it's not a production-ready consumer product, ergo it's unborn'.

Krejlooc

Banned
Its not necessarily 'new', though. And I thought it'd be self-explanatory, but I guess some people really don't know what VR is, I guess.

Getting people to try it is important obviously, but this guy straight up has his mind made up that he doesn't even want to try it. And he wont be the only one. This sort of ignorance needs to be addressed by correcting people's misconceptions of what VR is.

For the vast majority of people, wearable computing is indeed new. These VR headsets will likely be most people's first entry into the wearable computer market.

I suspect that guy is like the many people who claimed his SDTV was good enough and that he didn't need an HDTV. Most of those people saw the light.

I don't think the guy's comment was about VR being some alien tech. I literally took is as 'it's not a production-ready consumer product, ergo it's unborn'.

The comment he was responding to was talking about its utility and relating its utility to its viability. By claiming it's not even alive yet, he was make a statement about the perceived utility of VR.

Krejlooc

Banned
pretty much ppl have to try it out, 120fps, dual 1080p screens with "AAA" assets.

I wouldn't hold my breath for dual 1080p displays. Valve has a dual 1080p display proto, but more than likely CV1 will have a 1440p single panel display at 120 hz.

Valve's dual 1080p proto:

r553l62.jpg

This is different than what we tried at Dev Days.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I suspect that guy is like the many people who claimed his SDTV was good enough and that he didn't need an HDTV. Most of those people saw the light.

Maybe, (if you just mean >50%) but I've run into tons of people who didn't.
I was at Target last night and a guy was pointing out a movie that was cheaper at the moment for the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack than for the DVD. His gf's annoyed response was "Fuck Blu-ray".

Krejlooc

Banned
That's because I was hoping it'd make for more discussion. The fact that to me it looks like a massive gimmick, but it hasn't gone under yet, means it has to be doing something right, but I have no idea what that is since apparently it can't be explained but I have no reason to try it otherwise.

What kind of discussion is there to be had with someone who refuses to try the technology he's expressing doubts about?

Actually most of them likely just bought an HDTV when their current SDTV died since SDTVs aren't even in production anymore. Literally dragging people kicking and screaming into the future even if they don't need or want it.

It's the same reason why my grandparents eventually got a color TV after having a black and white one for so long in the 90's. Their TV eventually gave out and they didn't really have a choice in the matter :)

That said, since VR is never going to completely replace traditional displays, this isn't as likely the same type of situation.

Seanspeed

Banned
For the vast majority of people, wearable computing is indeed new. These VR headsets will likely be most people's first entry into the wearable computer market.

I just.......didn't think VR really needed explaining. Seems so inherently comprehensible to me.

I wouldn't hold my breath for dual 1080p displays. Valve has a dual 1080p display proto, but more than likely CV1 will have a 1440p single panel display at 120 hz.

Valve's dual 1080p proto:

r553l62.jpg

This is different than what we tried at Dev Days.
What's all the extra bulk at the bottom for?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The comment he was responding to was talking about its utility and relating its utility to its viability. By claiming it's not even alive yet, he was make a statement about the perceived utility of VR.
I think you're reaching. A tad ; )

Krejlooc

Banned
I think you're reaching. A tad ; )

The guy explictly highlighted the entire sentence, which was the guy laughing that people thought it was a gimmick that wouldn't catch on. If he wished for people to think he was solely talking about the mass marketability, he shouldn't have highlighted the word gimmick.

rjinaz

What's wrong with appreciating and prefering the existing technology?

Nothing. But what I think is wrong is comparing VR to motion controllers and wondering why it hasn't died out yet just because you don't like it.

I have long accepted that VR is not going to be something desired for everybody and it's pointless to try and convince these people otherwise. But maybe you and other that share your opinion of VR should likewise accept that VR will be something desired for many others and regardless of how many comments we read about "gimmicks" Virtual Boy" "motion controls" or the "fall of the social society", we see VR as the future of gaming as well as many other applications and won't be convinced otherwise.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The latency and noise of Kinect isn't conducive to good VR if you're using Kinect to track the user's head - you'll experience a lot of stuttering which will be extremely disorienting - source: tried it

Very excited to see what Samsung does with VR. lol @ those who kept claiming VR was a gimmick that will die.

All companies jumped on 3D TVs. Remind me how those went?

They jumped on Blu-Ray too. BD won't even unseat DVD before downloading and streaming take over.

I'm not saying VR will fail, but using Samsungs presence as some sort of indicator of future success is fallacy.

Could VR have any use in a genre that isn't first person?
Oh yes.

You could look down on a battlefield and really see the soldiers, or play something in the vein of Fire Emblem and not have to scroll all around.

Tbh I think first person games that are not FPS will be the best on it though. It'll take survival/horror Type of games to a whole new level. Imagine a Fallout type of game.

Very excited to see what Samsung does with VR. lol @ those who kept claiming VR was a gimmick that will die.

Considering it's still in the womb, I'd have a hard time declaring definitively that it will never die. People making any kind of declarative statements either way have no idea what they are talking about.

What makes VR so special? It seems like more of a gimmick than motion controls but it still hasn't died off yet.

Imagine VR for something basic like Call of Duty,
That would completely change the game imo. instead of having to completely turn your character now you can quickly peek up, down, left and right without needing any controls.

imagine playing something like Ace Combat,
You are going from all the action happening externally on this small tv screen to suddenly you are sitting in the cockpit. Your head movement is tracked so you look up and see the sky above you, look back see the seat.

It just brings you more into a game unlike ridiculously waving your arms around with motion control.

YuShtink

That's because I was hoping it'd make for more discussion. The fact that to me it looks like a massive gimmick, but it hasn't gone under yet, means it has to be doing something right, but I have no idea what that is since apparently it can't be explained but I have no reason to try it otherwise.

The combination of the split images, the post processing effects, the lenses, the sensors, and a high framerate begin to cross a human sensory threshold where you're eyes are being fooled into believing that you are looking at an actual 3D space that exists all around you, not a TV screen.

It breaks the boundary between you and the game world, and with that comes much more visceral sensations where it seems like this action is happening right before your very eyes. I can't tell you how liberating it is to be able to naturally look around inside a game without having to use a joystick.

This will really help to make VR more mainstream and do define a standard for VR

Oculus just showed a 3rd Person Platformer for VR at E3, and people who tried it loved it

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/oculus-luckys-tale/

I think we're going to see all sorts of crazy new concepts done with VR.

The Rift pretty well started a whole new VR revolution, crazy times.But Samsung is a pretty good company to get in on this, they certainly have the screen technology at their disposal to attempt some neat things with VR head sets.

test_account

XP-39C²
All companies jumped on 3D TVs. Remind me how those went?

They jumped on Blu-Ray too. BD won't even unseat DVD before downloading and streaming take over.

I'm not saying VR will fail, but using Samsungs presence as some sort of indicator of future success is fallacy.
Bluray dont need to unseat DVD though. Bluray is still very popular and its pretty much a standard format in these days that excist fine together with DVD. Bluray is also the standard game format for the new consoles (PS4, Xbox One and WiiU). Its really hard to say how VR will do looking at those other technologies because 3D TV, Bluray and VR are three very different things.

QaaQer

The combination of the split images, the post processing effects, the lenses, the sensors, and a high framerate begin to cross a human sensory threshold where you're eyes are being fooled into believing that you are looking at an actual 3D space that exists all around you, not a TV screen.

It breaks the boundary between you and the game world, and with that comes much more visceral sensations where it seems like this action is happening right before your very eyes. .

And this could cause trouble with prolonged usage, especially amongst those who are still developing. It'll be interesting to see how long the TOS and warnings are once a commercial product is released.

runnner30

Banned
This will really help to make VR more mainstream and do define a standard for VR

Oculus just showed a 3rd Person Platformer for VR at E3, and people who tried it loved it

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/oculus-luckys-tale/

Oh yes.

You could look down on a battlefield and really see the soldiers, or play something in the vein of Fire Emblem and not have to scroll all around.

Tbh I think first person games that are not FPS will be the best on it though. It'll take survival/horror Type of games to a whole new level. Imagine a Fallout type of game.

Interesting, thanks. Yeah, survival horror was my first thought too when thinking about how VR could be leveraged.

syko de4d

Does anyone think that Samsung upping the heat will push Sony to release Morpheus a bit earlier ?

Why? VR for Smartphones will be less about games more about stuff like VR Cinema, doesnt really compete with Morpheus.

Imagine you can watch a movie on a cinema like big screen while you are in bed, this will be great and very cheap if you already have a good Smartphone.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Bluray dont need to unseat DVD though. Bluray is still very popular and its pretty much a standard format in these days that excist fine together with DVD. Bluray is also the standard game format for the new consoles (PS4, Xbox One and WiiU). Its really hard to say how VR will do looking at those other technologies because 3D TV, Bluray and VR are three very different things.

I'm aware. I was just trying to point out that using a particular company's presence in a market as some indicator of future success is a mistake.

Does anyone think that Samsung upping the heat will push Sony to release Morpheus a bit earlier ?

Samsung will just buy Sony sooner or later ;)

And to those who doubt VR. Nothing gimmick, just the next big thing in presentation since the invention of film. Just watch a few first time oculus video and compare them to films people seeing films for the first time..

The sdtv hdtv is no where near comparison enough.. take an old black and white 15" tube tv and then HD 42" otherwise there is just nothing to compare it's just so much different.

Krejlooc

Banned
These things will take off as vr film proliferates. Just like planet earth did wonders for vr, david attenborough's newly announced vr documentary should be an early killer app for vr viewers.

harSon

Banned
The latency and noise of Kinect isn't conducive to good VR if you're using Kinect to track the user's head - you'll experience a lot of stuttering which will be extremely disorienting - source: tried it

Eh, most detractors have suggested that a device that is A) Large and must be worn over your head B) A peripheral that still requires a significant cost before purchasing the device C) Is likely relatively expensive in it's own right D) Catering to an install base within an install base E) Is a technology that must be worn to experience, as opposed to many other technologies where advertisements can effectively show you the experience in a 1:1 fashion, and with this latest announcement F) Will be spaced out over a rather splintered market.... will likely have an issue being a widespread phenomenon.

Basically, people have argued against it being the next big thing, which is a statement that suggests that its overall sales will be representative of that.

And just because a bunch of companies are jumping into the pot, doesn't mean it's going to be a success. Everyone jumped in on 3D. Quite a few jumped in on motion control gaming.

YuShtink

And this could cause trouble with prolonged usage, especially amongst those who are still developing. It'll be interesting to see how long the TOS and warnings are once a commercial product is released.

The brilliant part is that the lenses are focused to infinity. So you aren't actually focusing on the screen right in front of your eyes. You are actually gazing off into the horizon most of the time. Which is actually better for your eyes than staring at a fixed monitor or TV right in front of you. Improper calibration can certainly lead to eye strain though, like if you have software set to an incorrect interpupilary distance, stuff like that.

Top Bottom