• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Champloo Was Awesome but

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few more stinkers than in Bebop, but I find the cast easily as likable. The whole hip hope graffiti scene doesnt call to me so episodes with clear influences from that (which numbered at probably two) fell flat, and the second episode was so predictable/shades of cowboy bebop the movie I just got bored.

Fuu rox tho, as does Jin, and Mugen is hardcore. Fun Show indeed. Loved the art cept for I think it was episode 23 where the art went into the toilet like never before.

Bebpo

Banned
Great show, but the best eps were the non-main plot ones. Watanabe really knows how to create a multi-layered entertaining plot with a handful of characters and then wrap it all together in 23 mins. Art was A+ and gets me excited about Tales of Legendia. Music was okayish, not crap but they could've gotten a lot better artists to compose it.

I think ep18 was my favorite :)

Yes, id go into it but id be SPOILING. I think it emulated Bebop in terms of plot progression. To make it short, it wasnt about the goal so much as the journey, which is made plain in the end of the series. Each character is searching for something whether its obvious or not. They find resolution with themselves through the course of the show as they become a 'closer' group, and find resolution with the far more tactile at the end of the series.

J2 Cool

By the end of it, you come to the same realization the main characters do. It's the journey, not the destination, that means so much. The series is a pure blast right up to the end. They have a few off beat episodes, that are pointless, but the series really does grow. Both the characters, what they're fighting for, what there values are, etc. Fantastic characters. Also, the series has some of the best anime episodes of any. Not to mention the animation. Beautiful show.

Jin is pretty fuckin badass. Mugen rocks too for being hardcore, but after the last ep id say they're both pretty fuckin hardcore.

Chrono

Banned
*still waiting for the last 2 episodes to be subbed by a quality group*

If I had to judge champloo on the first 24 episodes though, I'd say it's no where near Bebop. The bad episodes were just really bad unlike Bebop which didn't have any (maybe the weird metal episode and the virus + monkeys or whatever o_O). The only time champloo came close was in episode 14.

That said, it does rock. I'd give it a B. Probably an A if they had less filler (or good ones). Bebop is an easy A++++. :p

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I really want to check this show out, watched the first ep like ages ago and besides looking pretty and introducing the cast with a breakdance brawl in a burning tavern, I was kinda left wondering what it was trying to deliver...I mean besides looking cool.

Now that most people have seen it, the buzz is almost always positive. Then again people said the same thing about Stand Alone Complex and I struggle to watch that.

Chrono

Banned
Brandon F said:
Then again people said the same thing about Stand Alone Complex and I struggle to watch that.

If you struggle to watch Stand Alone Complex then honestly you should not trust other opinions on anime. :lol

imo only Monster and Gankutsou are on the same level as Gits. :p

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Maybe not, granted I never gave SAC my full outright attention and just caught the first few eps. Probably a bit harsh in that statement.

I'm also so out of the loop on anime that I have no idea what Monster or that other show is you mentioned.

Chrono

Banned
Brandon F said:
I'm also so out of the loop on anime that I have no idea what Monster or that other show is you mentioned.

Gankutsuou thread:

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=29849

It's licensed (well not licensed but the Japanese company sent a letter to animesuki..) so I can't link to the torrents in thist post... *whistle*

Monster can be found here:

http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/378.html

You can find synopsis and summaries for those two in a lot of places, but I recommend just downloading the first few episodes and exploring everything unspoiled to judge for yourself. :D

J2 Cool

Chrono said:
If you struggle to watch Stand Alone Complex then honestly you should not trust other opinions on anime. :lol

imo only Monster and Gankutsou are on the same level as Gits. :p

Bah, from what I've seen, GitS SAC is just dull. The original movie was overrated imo, and from then on its just a bunch of high budget boreville imo. But like him, I've only caught a few episodes from time to time. Still, not my bag o' chips.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
23 is probably the funniest anime episode I've ever seen... and the 24-26 trio is pure brilliance.

Big props to SC, I loved the ride all the way through.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Chrono said:
*still waiting for the last 2 episodes to be subbed by a quality group*

the quality of the subs from the faster group improved dramatically after the first few episodes they did.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Bebpo said:
Music was okayish, not crap but they could've gotten a lot better artists to compose it.

I know music is a matter of opinion, but I don't think they could have done any better. That had the best soundtrack, imo, of any anime.

Mugen being a samurai doing capoeira, and nods to hip hop culture here and there, the soundtrack was the most solid aspect of the whole show IMO. The scratching between scenes was a nice addition as well, and over all the music and everything came together quite nicley.

Did you guys know they have a Samurai Champloo night in Japan? I saw a flyer for it online somewhere, and it looks like it is a club night with all the artists who did music for the show.

Anyway..

I think it was an awesome show over all. There were a couple filler episodes I did not like, mainly te zombie one was pretty slow, but others I really enjoyed. I loved the Graphitti episode and the baseball episode as far as fillers go. :)

but..

I thought the ending was somewhat weak IMO. I did not like the fact that they kept bringing Mugen and Jin back to life. Uuuugh.. At the very least they should have killed eachother, or jsut died after the swords broke or SOMETHING.

I dont think that would have worked well towards the progression and conclusion of the plot. Since their development as characters was like 75% of the conclusion it would have been a shame.

Plus they're hardcore badasses.

haunts said:
but..

I thought the ending was somewhat weak IMO. I did not like the fact that they kept bringing Mugen and Jin back to life. Uuuugh.. At the very least they should have killed eachother, or jsut died after the swords broke or SOMETHING.
I hate you. If they died I would have been angry. I'm happy it ended like it did.
Jin and Mugen had a closer bond at the end than they did in the beginning, and even became friends. Do you really thing they would have killed each other?

Jin was thought to have died twice, and the first time was kind of lame, but the second time was wonderfully played. That part made me jump out of my seat.

Mugens' was really nice as well. He put his life on the line to save a woman he knew didn't trust him completely.

Also Jin admitting he found someone worth fighting for, even tho there wasnt a lord in the land that deserved the services of a samurai.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
MrAngryFace said:
I dont think that would have worked well towards the progression and conclusion of the plot. Since their development as characters was like 75% of the conclusion it would have been a shame.

Plus they're hardcore badasses.

I just think having characters come back to life over and over is for 12 year olds. :p

haunts

Bacon of Hope
The Abominable Snowman said:
I hate you. If they died I would have been angry. I'm happy it ended like it did.
Jin and Mugen had a closer bond at the end than they did in the beginning, and even became friends. Do you really thing they would have killed each other?

Jin was thought to have died twice, and the first time was kind of lame, but the second time was wonderfully played. That part made me jump out of my seat.

Mugens' was really nice as well. He put his life on the line to save a woman he knew didn't trust him completely.

Dont hate. Haters sink to the bottom.

We're talking about samurai here. Samurai are prepared for death. Everyday they live they know they can die. I think the best ending they could have had is if Jin and Mugen actually killed eachother. I did liek the fact the swords broke, but they should have bled to death or something.

Edit: let me also state, I loved End of Eva, and I don't think I have ever met anyone who liked the ending to that show. lol.

No, having characters come back is EPIC. Heroes never die.

If I want reality ill watch car wrecks on the 405.

I think more can be said through living than through death, anyone who thinks otherwise has a morbid personality

haunts

Bacon of Hope
MrAngryFace said:
No, having characters come back is EPIC. Heroes never die.

If I want reality ill watch car wrecks on the 405.

I think more can be said through living than through death, anyone who thinks otherwise has a morbid personality

Really? Did you ever see the LAST SAMURAI with Tom Cruise? That was EPIC right? Do you remember the ending?

Again, we are talking about samurai here, not NINJA TURTLES or something. I am not expert on samurai by any means, but as much as I have read about them, its obvious they live day to day with death right by their side. Furthrmore, most samurai did not see life and death as something seperate, in which one has more importance than the other. They saw life and death as one in the same. Is that morbid, or that just having a clear understading of reality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom