• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliph95

"Somethings poking me"
oh god it's hapenning isn't it
"the temperature is rising"
*meet cute music*
oh no
more awkward moments
whelp it's hapeening

The weird sticking point for me is that Ashi's understanding of love and sexuality has seemingly bounced back and forth depending on whether the writers were trying to show Ashi's upbringing or do a gag.

First she and her sisters are so sheltered that the idea of two beings showing affection is alien to them
Then she acts embarrassed that she's naked and she needs clothes
Then she gets flustered and embarrassed by her hands merely touching Jack's
Then she acts like she's ignorant that nakedness is seen as embarrassing and awkward
Then she immediately starts making out with Jack (and I'll be the big nerd who points out that romantic kissing - all kissing - is a social custom that isn't universal, not a biological instinct)

I wished they wouldn't have used a whole episode for this. We only have 44 minutes now for Jack to find Aku, defeat him, and get back to the past.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The weird sticking point for me is that Ashi's understanding of love and sexuality has seemingly bounced back and forth depending on whether the writers were trying to show Ashi's upbringing or do a gag.

First she and her sisters are so sheltered that the idea of two beings showing affection is alien to them
Then she acts embarrassed that she's naked and she needs clothes
Then she gets flustered and embarrassed by her hands merely touching Jack's
Then she acts like she's ignorant that nakedness is seen as embarrassing and awkward
Then she immediately starts making out with Jack (and I'll be the big nerd who points out that romantic kissing - all kissing - is a social custom that isn't universal, not a biological instinct)

She did travel around on her own for a while.

Xe4

Banned
If they ha d built up to the romance more instead of doing it in one episode, it would've gone down better, I think.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
In the final moments of the last episode Ashi will transform into Aku and Jack will be shocked but quickly shrug his shoulders to say,"Nobodies perfect!"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If they ha d built up to the romance more instead of doing it in one episode, it would've gone down better, I think.

They didn't really have room for it though. Another 5 or 6 episodes and I'd say yea, but given what's left they probably wanted to focus on the final confrontation with Aku.

PixelatedBookake

If they knew they had 10 episodes from the beginning, I think the romance sub-plot should have been dropped in favor of more Scotsman stuff.

Xe4

Banned
They didn't really have room for it though. Another 5 or 6 episodes and I'd say yea, but given what's left they probably wanted to focus on the final confrontation with Aku.
Eh. There are cuts that can be made, and I think this was one of them. If you know you only have x episodes ahead of time, being rushed is no an excuse.

Intrestingly 1-5 were paced immaculately. It's these last 3 that were rushed.
If they knew they had 10 episodes from the beginning, I think the romance sub-plot should have been dropped in favor of more Scotsman stuff.
Yep.

Zocano

Yah... I didn't like the idea of going the romance angle in the first place and the way it's been handled hasn't been great either. Just too much, too fast. Would've preferred just a platonic student/master relationship or something with Jack going back to the past and a protege to take on their legacy basically.This is just... bad.

mfw people are upset at this episode
giphy.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Eh. There are cuts that can be made, and I think this was one of them. If you know you only have x episodes ahead of time, being rushed is no an excuse.

Intrestingly 1-5 were paced immaculately. It's these last 3 that were rushed.

Yep.

I mean, it was a fun episode so I'm not really going to complain.

Genndy probably wanted to finish it off since he wasn't sure he'd get another chance. He probably needed this plot point to get the ending he wants, so long as he nails that I doubt anyone will care.

Fj0823

I love the fact that ALL the romance in this episode is just to set up a joke in the end.

I cracked up at the stupid music playing after that tense scene.

Masterful.

Regarding the rushed pacing, with 10 episodes, it was bound to happen. The season is doing great with the hand it was dealt

This was just amazing. It was so awkward and I loved it! The ending just had me laughing on the floor. I didn't think they would do it But they did! But now I'm really sad that it's almost over plus the nagging feeling that I'm getting about the fact that this relationship will be tragic at the end. I really hope not.
I'm still infuriated and bitter about this. And now it's back in my head.

caliph95

This was just amazing. It was so awkward and I loved it! The ending just had me laughing on the floor. I didn't think they would do it But they did! But now I'm really sad that it's almost over plus the nagging feeling that I'm getting about the fact that this relationship will be tragic at the end. I really hope not.

Those two had better relationship than with Lion-o, no the real betrayal comes later with the other cat

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I mean, Jack's got to go back to the past and I don't think she's going with him.

Mister Wolf

Lion-O didn't deserve to get with Cheetara.

oh and I watched the episode

outside of the super awkward sexual tension, which is one of the few things that makes me cringe, it was actually a fairly standard and solid Samurai Jack episode. Villain was maybe introduced a bit too late in favor for more JackxAshii scenes but I don't mind I guess.

I wasn't a fan of this ship, but I don't HATE the idea. Particularly because we've seen Jack interested in women before. And that ending was hilarious.

edit:lol

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
[Romance could make] it more interesting for me though.

But I agree with the fact that the massive age difference makes it ridiculously incompatible at this point. If anything, it should've been a card that was played way back when during the original series that would have slightly seeped into the current.

I regret saying the bolded.

Take it back.

Mr Swine

Banned
Fantastic episode and it's nice that Jack has found someone he can love :) But I'm starting to think that Jack cannot return to the past after killing Aku, I feel he will be stuck in the future with Ashi

Fantastic episode and it's nice that Jack has found someone he can love :) But I'm starting to think that Jack cannot return to the past after killing Aku, I feel he will be stuck in the future with Ashi
Or she returns with him.

He's gone full cheesy with this episode. They could in theory have him return with her to the past and introduce her to his parents

caliph95

Well the next episode looks it with the guardian so its possible

Nothing's hotter than the guy that murdered the only family you ever had
To be fair

In self defense when you were brain washed to kill kill kill and he gave you every chance to back off until his life was on the line and he could run no further.

She even tells her mom as much episode before this one.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Or she returns with him.

He's gone full cheesy with this episode. They could in theory have him return with her to the past and introduce her to his parents

I think this is going to play into the finale somehow. You don't set an episode setting this up, at this point in the story, if you aren't going to use it to add emotional weight to your finale.

I think this was the happy cheese before the tragedy.

Nah. I think Genndy went full waifu with her. Last episode and this shows as much. I think he has let go of the darker tone after the whole hunt scene. Defeat of Aku might be badass but I don't see it going depressing anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom