• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Francisco "Poop Patrollers" Make $185,000

keraj37

source from www.zerohedge.com
We wish we could say this was a satire piece, but a new story in the San Francisco Chronicle reveals just how lucrative collecting shit actually is.

It's but the latest in a string of shocking revelations to hit headlines throughout the summer exposing how deep San Francisco's crisis of vast amounts of vagrant-generated feces covering its public streets actually runs (no pun intended).

We detailed last week how city authorities have finally decided to do something after thousands of feces complaints (during only one week in July, over 16,000 were recorded), the cancellation of a major medical convention and an outraged new Mayor, London Breed, who was absolutely shocked after walking through her city: they established a professional "poop patrol".

Poop%20patrol%20San%20Fran.jpg
Image source: AP via PJ Media

As described when the city initially unveiled the plan, the patrol will consist of a team of five staffers and a supervisor donning protective gear and patrolling the alleys around Polk Street and other "brown zones" in search of everything from hepatitis-laden Hershey squirts to worm-infested-logs. At the Poop Patrol's disposal will be a special vehicle equipped with a steam cleaner and disinfectant.

The teams will begin their shifts in the afternoon, spotting and cleaning piles of feces before the city receives complaints in order "to be proactive" in the words of the Public Works director Mohammed Nuru, co-creator of the poop patrol initiative.

While at first glance it doesn't sound like the type of job people will be knocking down human resources doors to apply for, the SF Chronicle has revealed just how much each member of this apparently elite "poop patrol" team will cost the city: $184,678 in salary and benefits.

Do you live in California or even in SF?
Is it really that bad?

Would love to hear first hand stories.

BTW, I couldn't believe what is going on in downtown LA. Just look for "homeless camps in LA" on youtube particularly.
BTW2, seems like american dream is over? Time to wake up.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Unlimited urban sprawl has always -- for 1,000s of years -- presented significant problems. The American Dream would more closely resemble moving out of the big city and trying to make a name for your family. It was never about self-indulgence at the cost of your neighbors. It was never about requiring a massive infrastructure around you in order to achieve your goals.

iconmaster

Banned
This has been a thing in the news for a while with SF, so I think it really is that bad.

But ancient Rome, Victorian London.. I guess it kind of comes with the territory as DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi says.

Glad I don't have to live in it, though.

MC Safety

Whatever these people are making, it is not enough.

And only in San Francisco would shoveling human feces be considered a proactive act.

ickythingz

Banned
Unlimited urban sprawl has always -- for 1,000s of years -- presented significant problems. The American Dream would more closely resemble moving out of the big city and trying to make a name for your family. It was never about self-indulgence at the cost of your neighbors. It was never about requiring a massive infrastructure around you in order to achieve your goals.
There's quite a bit of truth here. Well said.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This has been a thing in the news for a while with SF, so I think it really is that bad.

But ancient Rome, Victorian London.. I guess it kind of comes with the territory as DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi says.

Glad I don't have to live in it, though.

Funny you bring that up, because it does feel like we are on the verge of another "Rome has fallen".

SanFran seems to be a literal shithole now, sadly.

gohepcat

Banned
source from www.zerohedge.com

Do you live in California or even in SF?
Is it really that bad?

Would love to hear first hand stories.

BTW, I couldn't believe what is going on in downtown LA. Just look for "homeless camps in LA" on youtube particularly.
BTW2, seems like american dream is over? Time to wake up.

Might want to consider zerohedge is not an accurate picture of reality? Jesus christ.

Are you in the US? Have you ever been to New York City or Los Angeles or San Francisco?

Cato

Banned
Might want to consider zerohedge is not an accurate picture of reality? Jesus christ.

Are you in the US? Have you ever been to New York City or Los Angeles or San Francisco?

I lived in the bay area for 5 years.
I worked near SF civic centre for part of that time.

There is poop everywhere. There are needles everywhere.
People sit in broad daylight on the sidewalks shooting up. Just outside the office where I worked.
You see people passed out on the sidewalk every day.

None of those reports are exaggerating the problem. It is that bad.
So, have you been to civic centre in SF ?

San Fran is an absolute shit hole. Are you disputing the facts? Have you walked the shot and urine filled streets and had shit covered homeless follow you to To and from Giants stadium wrapped in a sheet with a shit stain on his ass?

I have.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Yeah, it is really bad. It's particularly infuriating considering the cost of living here.
My career is here, and with commute times outside of the city, I have no other option but to live in this mess.
I am still hoping for an early retirement; once the math adds up, I am gone.

One time a homeless person dropped a deuce in a bush at a street corner surrounding my office building. The smell was bad the first few days, but then it seems more homeless people chose that as a designated poop hole. It seemed nobody working for the building was interested in dealing with it since the shit was deep in the roots of the bushes. Eventually, a team of professionals dealt with it. The bushes were torn apart and the whole corner garden area is now gone for good.

Last edited:

Dude Abides

Banned

A name as what? A dirt farmer? People living with strangers in urban areas rather than small family/tribal groups is literally what civilization is.

Why are people just shitting in the streets? I know they are homeless but is there no where else or more private they can poop?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Why are people just shitting in the streets? I know they are homeless but is there no where else or more private they can poop?

From what I can tell...

Advocacy groups pressuring the local government seem to have created a consequence-free environment for the homeless there. No consequences for shooting up in public in broad daylight on a populated sidewalk, no consequences for shitting anywhere. Arrest would be seen as oppression of the underprivileged?

So they spend $30 million on human feces cleanup.

From what I can tell...

Advocacy groups pressuring the local government seem to have created a consequence-free environment for the homeless there. No consequences for shooting up in public in broad daylight on a populated sidewalk, no consequences for shitting anywhere. Arrest would be seen as oppression of the underprivileged?

So they spend $30 million on human feces cleanup.

So instead of using that 30 million to employ the homeless they just clean up after them, ahhhh bureaucracy works!

Last edited:

MayauMiao

$30 mil could just build free public toilets. The infamous San Fran video of drug addict shooting up in public is an embarassment to America it boggles my mind why voters continues to support the current SF administration.

lil puff

In NYC they find places to shit and piss, they just don't do it anywhere. Like they understand where people are, so they pick and chose their spots

lil puff

With all of the liberal policies, just like NY. You are not doing shit for the issues that create homelessness, YOu are doing the things that immediately make you look
good

Christopher

What liberal city is the utopia that they are selling us because it seems like all of their cities are shit
(Literally)

Last edited:

keraj37

Not ot spark a unnecessary argue I will just write that I trust zerohedge more then any other "news outlet" after I found I was lied on daily basis by others. That was my choice, yours might be different.
I wrote also about LA - if LA is in similar situation doesn't mean it is okay in US and in CA particularly.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Will this reduce the smug levels in California?

London Breed. What a name. I love reading funny names, and that one sure sticks out as unusual.

Plus also, that money, shit, literally (well not literally but shit it's high.)

As someone with a degree, and a reliable job in a poor central EU country, I can only dream of such money, it works out to be about 60,000 Euros.
Fully qualified school teachers over here get around 6,000 a year. Ten times less dammit.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned

You are so right about this. Ever time I moved I went from a bigger city to a smaller one. Now I live in a small town with only a Wal-mart to its name and I couldn’t be happier. Yeah I have to travel to do anything fun and I rely on amazon prime for most of my shopping.

But then again there’s no crime, no riots, all races get along, we have a gay black man for a police chief- appointed in a conservative Bible Belt town- and no one cares.

My dad grew up in New York City and even my parents in retirement see how much better small town life is and MOVED IN WITH ME. This was only possible because in a small town you can buy a large house and not have to pay a million dollars. I live in a 4,000 sq ft house on a half acre lot and I only paid $197k.

There are pros and cons. But for me I like watching the deer walk through my backyard and I don’t miss going to Starbucks.

Or having my taxes go to paying human pooper-scoopers.

Last edited:

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
I only go to SF during Cherry Blossom fest season or when I need to go on an international flight, I've smelled piss and shit during my short visits there but haven't stayed long. Sucks that it's getting worse, damn.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
They should just pay the homeless to do it.

One time I was taking the trash out and my bag broke. A homeless dude offered to clean it up, bare handed, for $5.
Best $5 I ever spent!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
A name as what? A dirt farmer? People living with strangers in urban areas rather than small family/tribal groups is literally what civilization is.
The respect you show for the people who grow your food is astounding. It is only matched by your nuanced view of human history.

Grinchy

Banned
They should just pay the homeless to do it.

One time I was taking the trash out and my bag broke. A homeless dude offered to clean it up, bare handed, for $5.
Best $5 I ever spent!
I can imagine that now. The homeless people who are shitting on the ground just reach down and scoop it up instead of leaving it there and now they're employed!

Dude Abides

Banned
Sounds like someone has never been to a small town in his entire life. Unless you were being sarcastic.

I grew up in a town of 8,000. Try again.

The respect you show for the people who grow your food is astounding. It is only matched by your nuanced view of human history.

I have immense respect for Con-Agra and Perdue Chicken. Do you have an argument or just virtue-signaling?

Last edited:

appaws

Banned
So instead of using that 30 million to employ the homeless they just clean up after them, ahhhh bureaucracy works!
lel

30 mil is literally nothing in terms of creating employment, especially if consider the rent in the west coast.

Homelessness is deeply intertwined with mental illness. Employment could help some, but it is not the root of the issue. Many are incapable of doing or holding a job, no matter how much you paid them.

Super Mario

Banned
You are so right about this. Ever time I moved I went from a bigger city to a smaller one. Now I live in a small town with only a Wal-mart to its name and I couldn’t be happier. Yeah I have to travel to do anything fun and I rely on amazon prime for most of my shopping.

But then again there’s no crime, no riots, all races get along, we have a gay black man for a police chief- appointed in a conservative Bible Belt town- and no one cares.

My dad grew up in New York City and even my parents in retirement see how much better small town life is and MOVED IN WITH ME. This was only possible because in a small town you can buy a large house and not have to pay a million dollars. I live in a 4,000 sq ft house on a half acre lot and I only paid $197k.

There are pros and cons. But for me I like watching the deer walk through my backyard and I don’t miss going to Starbucks.

As a youngster, I was taught these were mostly areas with dumb hillbillies. As my job has put me working in lots of these types of areas, I have really come to appreciate them. It's like a completely different planet when you compare them to the big cities. On top of everything else you said, property taxes are much lower because they don't need to account for a all of the victimhood government programs.

When black people live in these small cities, it's probably the closest we are in the entire country to living in harmony. There is no racial divide. No one resents each other. It's amazing what we can accomplish without the political hive-mind. It wouldn't surprise me that they voted in a gay, black, man for the chief. As long as he swears to uphold the law, without pushing some side agenda, nothing else matters.

Last edited:

cr0w

Old Member

Small town life is amazing, especially if you have a modestly-sized city within 30 miles or so. My dad lives outside of Waco, TX in the middle of nowhere and we go to visit him a couple times a year. Everything we need is a half hour drive away, and when we're done shopping it's back to the country. The small town he lives in itself is still safe enough to take a nighttime walk through, and all the restaurants and businesses are still family-owned as they have been for close to a century. If my finances allowed it, I'd be right up there with him but alas, I have at least a few more years in Houston. I will say after a couple decades in the city, it's a complete mindfuck to go outside after 9pm and see pretty much the entire town closed.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
$30 mil could just build free public toilets. The infamous San Fran video of drug addict shooting up in public is an embarassment to America it boggles my mind why voters continues to support the current SF administration.

It is insane. The same shit is happening in Vancouver, BC too. Streets littered with needles right outside schools and daycare. They do not even arrest them. I was watching a documentary on Netflix and they were with "Gang Task Force Constables" and they pulled a guy over who had a white SUV that matched the description of a shooter earlier in the day. They searched his vehicle cause he is a "known crack dealer" in the Asian part of town, and they found bundles of crack in the vehicle and $3,000CDN on him. Guess what they did?

They confiscated the drugs and money, and LET HIM GO FREE. They said, "us taking your drugs and money is punishment enough for you, now go home". What kind of whack ass laws do they have there? Later on in the show, come to find out, they eventually arrest him for the shooting/murder when they found the gun he did not have earlier from a call in tip.

I am just baffled that they just take the money and drugs and do not even arrest them for that out there. Being a hard-lined drug dealer and Canada is dank!

I am seeing this common theme spreading in these select cities.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
States handle their own shit. In this case quite literally.

NahaNago

Wouldn't it be better to slowly build facilities/residential areas for the homeless around San Francisco and then remove the tent city from their and possibly build more mental health facilities as well with that money.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I have immense respect for Con-Agra and Perdue Chicken. Do you have an argument or just virtue-signaling?
I wasn't the one who brought up "dirt farmers", nor did I present a bizarre either/or choice between "strangers in urban areas" versus "small family/tribal groups" as the foundation of civilization.

Not my problem that you never presented an argument in the first place. If you want to contribute, you can start any time.

lil puff

In NYC they asked the homeless to move to next block while they sprayed down their sidewalk. Afterwards they came back to a clean home.

I cannot even get that kind of service.

Dude Abides

Banned
I wasn't the one who brought up "dirt farmers", nor did I present a bizarre either/or choice between "strangers in urban areas" versus "small family/tribal groups" as the foundation of civilization.

Not my problem that you never presented an argument in the first place. If you want to contribute, you can start any time.

Please. "HOW DARE YOU DISRESPEKT THE MURICAN FAMILY FARMER!!!" is pure virtue signaling.

I accurately described how urbanization is the driver of human civilization. Your only rebuttal was fake outrage.

Top Bottom