• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satellite Reign |OT| A rival Syndicate emerges

Corpekata

Banned
concept_04.jpg

Developer: 5 Lives Studios
Platform: PC
Price: 29.99 Steam, Humble Store (Steam Key and DRM free) , GoG
Genre: Real time squad tactics
Release Date: August 28, 2015

Satellite Reign is a real time strategy game focusing on controlling a squad of 4 in a cyberpunk city drenched in rain and neon. The game, outside of the tutorial is largely open world allowing you to explore and approach missions however you want. Load up a minigun for the frontal assault, or sneak your way in, it's up to you. You'll start off pretty bare bones but quickly unlock a variety of gear and abilities to tailor to your play style. There's also some puzzle elements as you'll often need to hack doors and figure out how to get your entire crew where they need to be. In addition to combat skills there's a variety of other ways to interact with the world so you can specialize your agents. For instance, the tutorial features a moment with a zipline. Unskilled agents can still use a zipline if you force them to, but they can fail (in this case, going splat) while someone with the skill will be fine.

Satellite Reign became known to most when it launched its' Kickstarter back in June 2013. It then launched on Steam Early Access in December 2014, with a stream of regular updates, including optional "nightly builds." On August 28th it graduates to 1.0, though it has been content complete for a few weeks now. The devs have been very active in the community and seem committed to a good deal of post launch support. Their goal, if it is is not obvious, was to make a game in the Syndicate mold (no, not that FPS from EA, the other ones) while giving their own take on the genre and updating it for modern audiences.

Videos:

Launch Trailer
Cool Ghosts posted a detailed overview video of Satellite Reign.

Reviews (to be updated as they come in):

Kotaku- YES
I’d been led to believe that Satellite Reign was a modern-day Syndicate. Turns out it isn’t. Phew.

I mean, I love Syndicate as much as the next person who loves Syndicate, in that I grew up thinking it was one of the best games of all time. I still find its filthy, cyberpunk art style to be among the best in video games, regardless of its age.

...So a game that that’s “Like Syndicate, only prettier” is not something I would have enjoyed. I have, however, been thoroughly enjoying Satellite Reign.

PC Gamer- 80
It’s like Blade Runner if Ridley Scott had filmed it with a tilt-shift lens.

...These are issues that haunt every moment of play, but otherwise, Satellite Reign is one of the most enjoyable small-squad strategy games I’ve played in a long time. I love how it blends tactical combat with an open-world structure and Deus Ex-inspired freedom.

Gamesplanet - 9/10
While the influence of Syndicate is obvious, Satellite Reign is a far more expansive and rewarding experience. There is nuance and a breadth that only really becomes apparent as you progress through its sprawling metropolis

Edge - 5/10 (no digital review)
What made Syndicate special was how it harnessed two key sensations: transgression and power. It was about The Man, looking down from your airship as you crushed nations. It was about the sociopathy of distance, mixed with the ability to squish anyone under your thumb at any time. Satellite Reign never taps into that sense, nor finds something to replace it. Instead, this is a world where you can hijack brains and turn people into meat-sleeves for your squad, only to have to cut scientists a cheque to work for you. A world where being bad never feels particularly good. By the point by Syndicate and Syndicate Wars had embedded themselves in gaming history and started dangling their most exciting toys on a string, Satellite Reign has long worn out its momentum its structure demands. It’s not a bad game, but nor is it ever more than a shell of a great one – it’s crying out for a soul behind the screen that both Syndicate fans and its own systems deserve.

Entertainment Focus - 9/10
It’s been almost nine months since I last checked out the game in Early Access. What was there was impressive but there were still many elements missing. Firing up the release version of the game it’s immediately clear that a lot of effort has gone into it since the first Early Access builds. - See more at: http://www.entertainment-focus.com/...itter&utm_source=twitter#sthash.pEdAEtF4.dpuf

PCInvasion - 8/10
The game in its current state already feels like the contemporary take on Syndicate promised by the initial Kickstarter campaign. The amount of freedom afforded to the player in planning and executing your corporate heists is laudable; and slightly ironic, given the oppressive nature of the cyberpunk city’s densely policed districts. In all, Satellite Reign’s deft combination of Syndicate-inspired mechanics and smart new ideas make it a swaggering boardroom successor.

Arklite

This game looks amazing, solid strategy in a large, beautiful environment. I'm pretty torn on it though. Aside from the moody levels themselves it seems to lack a lot of character in story/narration, sound effects, and unit details or voice work.

KKRT00

So many games, so little time :\
I'll definitely have to play it in future, but my backlog is so big right now :(

Lime

Subscribed. Like I said elsewhere, I'll play this when the TRON outfits have been modded out or optionally removed.

wetwired

This is done by a very small team out of Brisbane I believe.

Yup, we certainly are, 5 of us in West End, we've had contractors for concept art, music/audio (Russell Shaw) and additional coding and design etc, about 10 people total if you count people who worked on the game for longer than 2 months.

This is our first game as an indie studio, we've all worked together before at larger publisher based companies but the anticipation and anxiety of a launch is a lot pronounced when it's your own company and your future depends on it :|

Also this was the highlight of my day :)

duncan.JPG

M.Steiner

Had this installed for a while (Kickstarter backer) but decided to wait for the release build. Excited to finally playing some!

Congrats to wetwired and the dev team

You had a lot to live up to associating your game with Syndicate and from the looks of it you did everyone proud.

Im glad I backed this and look forward to playing it soon

Tworak

I've played this a few hours before release, and it's definitely good. glad I backed it. Looking forward to jumping head first into the full version.

Browny

Banned
Not sure how I missed this - but it looks rather good. I've been getting into cyperpunk settings over the past couple of years (mainly with Shadowrun), so this is another one to add to my ever-growing backlog...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wow, that artstyle is amazing. See developers? You can make a dystopian future work with tons of pretty colours. I'll have to look into this when I got the cash for sure.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just saw Steam downloaded version 1.0.

Looks like they released it a day early! Can't wait to finally play.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yup, we certainly are, 5 of us in West End, we've had contractors for concept art, music/audio (Russell Shaw) and additional coding and design etc, about 10 people total if you count people who worked on the game for longer than 2 months.

This is our first game as an indie studio, we've all worked together before at larger publisher based companies but the anticipation and anxiety of a launch is a lot pronounced when it's your own company and your future depends on it :|

Also this was the highlight of my day :)

duncan.JPG

Congrats to you and you team, it looks like you guys made something great. I hope it's successful for you.

Mr. Tibbs

Yeah this is a great overview video to give an idea of the appeal for people that aren't quite sure on it yet. Will add to OP.
Cool! Here's a quote from the Edge review, if you want it.

What made Syndicate special was how it harnessed two key sensations: transgression and power. It was about The Man, looking down from your airship as you crushed nations. It was about the sociopathy of distance, mixed with the ability to squish anyone under your thumb at any time. Satellite Reign never taps into that sense, nor finds something to replace it. Instead, this is a world where you can hijack brains and turn people into meat-sleeves for your squad, only to have to cut scientists a cheque to work for you. A world where being bad never feels particularly good. By the point by Syndicate and Syndicate Wars had embedded themselves in gaming history and started dangling their most exciting toys on a string, Satellite Reign has long worn out its momentum its structure demands. It’s not a bad game, but nor is it ever more than a shell of a great one – it’s crying out for a soul behind the screen that both Syndicate fans and its own systems deserve.

Is it more optimized than the beta?
Yes, it's a massive improvement over the Early Access phase.

Mr. Tibbs

PC Invasion (formerly known as INCGamers) gave Satellite Reign 8/10!

The game in its current state already feels like the contemporary take on Syndicate promised by the initial Kickstarter campaign. The amount of freedom afforded to the player in planning and executing your corporate heists is laudable; and slightly ironic, given the oppressive nature of the cyberpunk city’s densely policed districts. In all, Satellite Reign’s deft combination of Syndicate-inspired mechanics and smart new ideas make it a swaggering boardroom successor.

Instro

This is done by a very small team out of Brisbane I believe.

Hope it does well.

Yeah, pretty impressive what they put together here with a tiny team and a small budget. I won't get around to playing it for a bit, but the beta seemed to be on the right track from what little I played.

Corpekata

Banned
Been digging in. Performance is still fairly rough at times in populated areas.

I'd highly suggest getting the Support's Slow Time ability if you feel like the action is too fast, like it can be for me. Makes managing things a lot less hectic at times.

Uzzy

Game looks absoultely gorgeous, and I'm really looking forward to playing it tonight when I'm home from work.

Really dig the feeling of getting in and out of a compound smoothly, knowing how rough things can go when it goes hot. Kinda wish the fast travel points were already unlocked because for now I just pan over to the general area I need to go and click to move there while I check my phone or do something else.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It sounds like the Edge guy was expecting a direct sequel to Syndicate, and this definitely is not that.

It's much more of a stealth game. And you aren't just hired mercenaries for an arbitrary corporation sent out to destroy other corporations on city streets.... thus no over the top slaughter. It's much more subtle, and you are a rebel force trying to take down a large mega corp.

I am a little disappointed that it isn't really a Syndicate game, as that was what was pitched when I funded it.

However, this is a different type of game and a fantastic one at that, so I'm happy with it.

Aside from the initial loading, which takes quite a long while, dear god what an amazing first impression this game made. Great graphics, terrific soundtrack, and that's how a freaking tutorial should be done!

Just got the infiltrator back. Capping fools in the back of the head and stealthing for great justice. Eager to play a ton more.

Really hoping this game sells well.

How long is it, out of curiosity?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Aside from the initial loading, which takes quite a long while, dear god what an amazing first impression this game made. Great graphics, terrific soundtrack, and that's how a freaking tutorial should be done!

Just got the infiltrator back. Capping fools in the back of the head and stealthing for great justice. Eager to play a ton more.

Really hoping this game sells well.

How long is it, out of curiosity?

Pretty big from what I hear... 25-30 hours.

Mr. Tibbs

RPS Wot I Think:

Like its interface and design, Satellite Reign’s city is a far cleaner and more controlled place than it first seems. Efficiency rules over emergent accident and emergency, and the game is tight and well-crafted. My favourite moments involved tense tactical infiltrations, using every agent’s skillset to temporarily disable cameras and locks. At its best, Satellite Reign has more in common with Commandos than Syndicate. It’s a splendid construct, built to endure and to sustain repeated playthroughs in various styles, but I can’t shake the feeling that, minute by minute, a little more chaos and unpredictability would go a long way.

Top Bottom