• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata GDC Awards Tribute

B33

Banned
What I find most endearing about Iwata is that he didn't possess a mote of cynicism or irony. He loved games and wanted to bring joy to as many people as possible, and he accomplished this with tremendous success with the Wii and DS consoles. That pure, unbridled passion is rare.

Beautiful tribute. Somewhat ironic seeing this at GDC, considering his keynote at GDC a few years back about how developers should value their own work was kind of poorly received.

I love that Iwata truly believed that games were for everyone, and his unparalleled drive to share games with everyone through the power of joy and love for one another. There will never be another like him.

Samaritan

vPD5S87.gif

walei

I'm tearing up at work... damn it still hurts.

Beautiful tribute. Somewhat ironic seeing this at GDC, considering his keynote at GDC a few years back about how developers should value their own work was kind of poorly received.

But it's also at GDC where he gave this career defining quote

On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.

@MUWANdo

Banned

For real. People were audibly laughing at some of the stuff he said, as if he'd lost his mind. I bet they feel stupid now.

Shiggy

Seeing the tribute just reminds me of that he was merely a man of words, not of actions. Had he acted on what he promised and envisioned, I am sure the company would not face such severe challenges today.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Lovely tribute.

Somewhat ironic seeing this at GDC, considering his keynote at GDC a few years back about how developers should value their own work was kind of poorly received.

Which was really weird. "Be proud of what you do." "No!"

BY2K

Membero Americo
Seeing the tribute just reminds me of that he was merely a man of words, not of actions. Had he acted on what he promised and envisioned, I am sure the company would not face such severe challenges today.

What?

Do you realise that Nintendo DS and Wii, the most popular Nintendo devices and gaming devices in general, are basically results of Iwata's actions?

Shiggy

The Wii and DS were such great systems with vastly different and simple input devices. They seemed to get it right, they wanted to make games accessible and provide new experiences.

Till today I cannot understand how the 3DS and Wii U happened. Both systems do not make the slightest bit of sense if you listen to what Iwata preached in the years before.

The Wii and DS were such great systems with vastly different and simple input devices. They seemed to get it right, they wanted to make games accessible and provide new experiences.

Till today I cannot understand how the 3DS and Wii U happened. Both systems do not make the slightest bit of sense if you listen to what Iwata preached in the years before.

I'm not following here.

I could, and probably should, start disagreeing with you left and and right but this just isn't the thread for that man...

His legacy speaks to all his actions. You bringing up 2 consoles that you feel don't make sense to you has no way of tarnishing that. Not here dude.

gogogow

Nice tribute, love the art and music. We will always remember you Iwata! Your legacy will always live on!

Not surpised coming from you, so good job, you definitely should discuss this here, in a tribute thread. Good job!

sfried

RIP Iwata.

Nintendo Directs just aren't the same without you.
Wish there was a way to feel that presence again "directly".

In a sense, I feel Miitomo might've been just that.

Thanks for reminding us what games are all about.

Top Bottom