• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
MypuquR.png

Doit.shia

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I still remember the moment during E3 2005 when Iwata was up on stage talking about the successor to the GameCube and he said, "...And now you say you want a revolution? Well...we've got one!". The audience went wild when he pulled out the Nintendo Revolution (Wii) and raised it above triumphantly! He was right though...the Nintendo Wii really was a revolutionary console.

Nintendo Revolution/Wii reveal @ E3 2005
The Virtual Console was such a big deal when they first announced it...

Haha he actually name drops Earthbound as playable on the VC. Sure.. It only took 8 years and a successor console.

lt519

I audibly gasped and said "oh my god." I just read this news around friends. They were concerned about me but I realized explaining that a company CEO just died would just result in blank stares and an inability to empathize. This man wasn't just a company CEO to me, he contributed to my childhood. I want to go home and grieve. I don't feel like laughing with my friends anymore. And nobody understands except my fellow GAFers. This man was special.

It's funny, I'm out on travel for work and alone in the hotel instead of home with the girlfriend and I actually think it is for the better. She knows video games are my outlet, my stress release, and ultimately just how much fun I have gaming, but she just wouldn't understand the impact this has on me. I'm glad I have the time to sit here and read old Iwata Asks, see the industry unite, and ultimately the gaming communities outpouring of respect. It means a lot to me to see the man that gave me so much receive so much public recognition he normally doesn't get. It breaks my heart knowing some of his final days were spent dealing with E3 backlash and I just hope he saw through it and knew it was mostly because we are passionate about our hobby and in part that passion was created by his work.

Gabe3208

Banned
This really hurt specifically because as a consumer and avid Nintendo gamer, you just couldn't help but feel like you actually knew Mr. Iwata. With all of his Directs, he kind of became like a tv show personality whom you knew what mannerisms to expect from, etc.

The most painful part is the secrecy that took place to hide this from the public, not because we SHOULD know, but because we thought all was well, and then suddenly........BAM, punch right to the gut.

Thanks for everything Mr. Iwata!

Rayis

Nooo, Iwata-San ;A:

I'm going to miss the hell out of his directs, loved the way he talked during them, big loss

RIP Satoru Iwata

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Nintendo President Iwata has passed away. He was my boss at my last company, and even changing positions and locations he was the person who most understood me. As a hard worker and a virtuous person, he always quickly derived balanced summaries and proposals. I thought that he was the best possible leader. I pray for his happiness in the next world.
Sakurai's response.

Can't stop crying.

It's starting to really hit me now. :(

I know I'm gonna miss him in every Nintendo Direct announced from here on out.

Ishida

Banned
In all aspects of this business where numbers and dollars pervade our every daily move, there are a few people who hold on to the joy of creation. That moment during profiling that things click and you realise with a smile that something magical was on the way. A dev dreams of those moments. Iwata simply made them out of nothing. His smile, energy and effortless portrayal of life in fun, vibrant colour will be that which I take away the most.

For one day, let the colour fade just a little. Tomorrow, let it bloom in full. RIP my friend, from all in the business, you will be missed.

Beautiful words from the Gopher.

I'll never forget that morning when I got a NES on Christmas Morning. I'm flabbergasted on how someone I've never met can cause me much grief on his passing. Mr. Iwata started my journey into gaming. He is solely responsible for getting me into the hobby I really love. His games had an innocence about them that touches me to this day. Even though I've never met the man in person, I have experienced his joy and love through his games, we all at one point in our lives have. We are privileged that we got to enjoy the masterpieces he created. We are sad by his passing but let us celebrate his life and the joy he created for many millions of people.

Mr. Iwata has left us but is legacy will be with us forever and who knows; when the day finally comes when we finally leave as well, he may have more masterpieces waiting for us to enjoy.

Rest In Peace Mr. Iwata. My condolences to his family and to his close friends.

Kriken

Doit.shia

Quick reminder

I immediately asked the art team if they could come up with something upon hearing the news. That being said, the posts yelling and demanding a logo change have in some cases been extremely rude and inappropriate, and the current Pride logo was intended to run through July to celebrate marriage equality in the United States, which is an important sentiment in its own right. If the art team creates something we're happy with then a special memorial logo may be uploaded. Please remain calm and let us run the site on our own terms, and do no derail the thread around logo change talk, either way. Thanks.

Although I will say, that is an amazing logo that someone did in a short amount of time

This news comes as a shock.

Felt like shit, almost crying.

What broke me and made me cry for real was that even /v/ paid his respect by putting Smiles and Tears as a background music.

Great man, as a CEO he made some questionable decisions but he actually cared about videogames until the end. Totally didn't deserve to die at this age.

You know what to do with my avatar.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I still remember the moment during E3 2005 when Iwata was up on stage talking about the successor to the GameCube and he said, "...And now you say you want a revolution? Well...we've got one!". The audience went wild when he pulled out the Nintendo Revolution (Wii) and raised it above triumphantly! He was right though...the Nintendo Wii really was a revolutionary console.

Nintendo Revolution/Wii reveal @ E3 2005

Yep. This era is my favorite in gaming, it really felt like Nintendo was going to change gaming forever with the DS and the Wii-revolutions, and while I guess they kinda did, the lasting impact seems to have been less than I expected back then.

I heard the news here first over two hours ago and I'm still at a loss for words. Practically every oddball decision Iwata has made for Nintendo's direction since he took over was a gleaming reassurance that someone in the industry was standing up for the values I grew up believing in as a player, when so much of what the rest of the market wanted seemed to be turning the other way. I've never in my life been so devastated by the loss of a corporate executive I never knew, but perhaps it's understandable when you consider what was special about Iwata-san: everyone could see he never let go of the values that guided him first and foremost as a game designer who had the integrity of the product always in mind, and everything he did gave Nintendo a personal touch, from the Iwata Asks interviews to the unmistakable gestures in the Directs. Yamauchi hand-picked the ideal successor, a principled successor, and in a way he was just getting started. We haven't even seen the fulfilment of his ideas for where the company will go from here, and I should hope whoever follows him has the steadiness to follow his vision of what this company is about.

There will be time to take stock of Nintendo's future in the days ahead, but for now, I mourn. What a life; what a legacy.

KingClown

Wow, I was totally blindsided when I first heard the news. I couldn't believe it, I'm still tying to process it really. Truly a great loss. :(

My thoughts and prayers go out to Iwata's family and friends. May he rest in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom