• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiryu64

Here is a scaled down version for avatars, with a white glow to detach it from the background. And the original. It's quick and dirty.

qw1qDoP.png

iCeihgr.png

Thanks for posting this. Just updated my avatar; had to dig through lots of pages and quote chains to finally find it. Quoting for new posters should they want to do something with it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Heard it when the news broke, been thinking about it all day since. What a bummer. ;_; He was super involved in Earthbound, my favorite game of all time. Definitely going to have to re-play it soon in his honor. RIP, Mr. Iwata.

Does anyone else feel kinda an odd sense of comfort that Miyamoto and Takeda are in charge of Nintendo for the time being? Like, it just feels comforting knowing that they're there to keep things going in times like this, y'know?

He truly was one of a kind. I wish we could get some kind of a biography of the man. I don't know much of anything about him outside of his career. Looking at it from the outside he ran his company in a similar way that I would.

He cared. He cared about the product. He cared about his employees. He cared about his customers. And he cared about the future of the company.

I'm just so sad about his death.

Makonero

There is something that sticks in the back of my mind as I watch this thread unfold. For so long, people have said that video games are a waste of time. Nintendo, with Iwata at the helm, has consistently proven that this idea isn't true. Video games have a purpose: to bring joy and laughter into people's lives.

There's a reason why Nintendo has pursued the avenues they have lately, even if you don't agree with them. They may be backwards or old fashioned or whatever, but they have their eyes focused on what they believe matters: fun, enjoyable experiences that craft memories for you, your friends, your family, and overall increase the joy in your life.

Thank you Iwata for Earthbound. Thank you for Pokemon Gold. Thank you for Smash Brothers Melee. Thank you for the Wii. Thank you for your consistent vision. Thank you for your unwavering principles. Thank you for the fun I have had and the memories I have made due to the tireless work of you and your compatriots.

Your games were not a waste of time. They have made me and millions of others around the world smile, and that alone makes a massive difference.

nib95

Banned
I honestly think his cancer was terminal and he didn't want the world to know. He never really got cured and just went about his business. The same thing happened to Steve Job, his cancer was terminal, but he told the world it was "hormonal imbalances" that caused his weight loss. When you have a sudden weight loss due to cancer thats it, no chemo will save you. It makes sense about having puppets in thr Nintendo E3 and Iwata not shown anywhere. The man was extremely ill and wanted to be with his family in his last moments.

Edit: can I also get a ribbon memorial for my avatar. Much appreciated, GAF.

Not necessarily. A few friends and family members of mine who thankfully survived tumours, also went through extreme and prolonged weight loss. As in, literally to skin and bones during operation and chemo periods. I think it all depends. There is a possibility his tumour may have been of a terminal nature, but also that the death was a result of last minute complications, be they related to the tumour itself, or the surgery involved.

chixdiggit

Sad news. Nintendo.... hell Video Games will not be the same.

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."

Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015

J2 Cool

:( Sad day, definitely a legend. Really inspiring warm guy, very talented. I didn't know anything about him being sick, so this comes as a shock. Too young, his work and influence will certainly live on, but he'll be sorely missed. He was so integral to my perception of Nintendo, and any gripes I still had a blind trust in their continued quality and creativity. Nintendo in a lot of ways were pushing a level of flawless design, really refining their concepts and I think NX has such a bright future. Its sad, because he was right in it.

RIP Iwata.

Though I want to stay in this thread and share images and grieve, I think I'm going to just turn off the computer and play some games. I'm just going to lose myself in that warm, familiar happiness that Iwata radiated as a person.

I'm going to play, and I'm going to smile.

Blader

For as cold a business as video games can be, at the end of the day, this is all really just a fun hobby. And Iwata's personality was an embodiment and constant reminder of that: games can and should be fun. He was a fun, passionate, sincere guy who cared right to the end.

The rare breed of executive for any company, in any industry, and a more tremendous loss because of it.

Fjordson

Wow, I went to take a nap like 20 minutes before this broke. Horrible news to wake up to. RIP to what seemed like a great man and someone who had a genuine passion for Nintendo and gaming in general.

Dragonfly

Neo Member
Wow, out of nowhere... It never crossed my mind Iwata was having such immense health difficulties!

Rest in deep peace, Satoru Iwata. Thank you for all the contributions to our collective childhood.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
He truly was one of a kind. I wish we could get some kind of a biography of the man. I don't know much of anything about him outside of his career. Looking at it from the outside he ran his company in a similar way that I would.

He cared. He cared about the product. He cared about his employees. He cared about his customers. And he cared about the future of the company.

I'm just so sad about his death.

Google "Iwata biography IGN," I spotted it earlier tonight (on mobile now, gonna go to bed soon) that was focused on his professional career but was nice nonetheless.

GhaleonQ

I just... and this will sound selfish here, but bear with me...

I just wish we'd known how serious it was before the end. I know that I was clueless, I think most were. If we had known even a week ago what state he was in, the outpouring of love and good wishes from all around the world would have been overwhelming. I would have liked him to have seen that. For someone who didn't have kids to be with him there at the end, I think that would have meant something. I'm sure he knew he was beloved, but even just for our sake I wish we could have sent those messages. I really do...

Indeed. Maybe he knew and didn't need it literally expressed. Maybe he didn't want it because it would hurt or be a distraction (or even harm Nintendo stock).

But I would have liked the nicest executive out there to have people just be nice to him in full 1 last time.

He definitely knew he was loved. The community made sure of that when they heard he was ill last year

Still, 1 last time.

Voliko

Never knew about his contribution to Pokemon Gold/Silver. To think he made it possible for the minds of millions of kids to be blown when stepping into Kanto for the first time is amazing.

Javier

I wonder if Super Mario Maker will have at least one level made by him. It may be the last creation of his we'll get to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom