• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really sad to see a man with such a strong legacy go and I hate to think the failure of the Wii U and the shareholder pressure may have contributed to his ailing health.
What makes it even more sad is that he made some surprising and bold moves in the last years with the new PR approach (Nintedo Direct/Treehouse Live) and partnership with DeNa.

random25

:(

FByxEui.png

(Cheese's are translations, second one is the first one tweeted.)

Sakurai...I feel your sadness too.

Goo

RIP :(

I appreciate Satoru Iwata for speaking directly to fans. I felt that he had a true passion for his work and the entertainment he was bringing to everyone.

Anteo

I honestly think his cancer was terminal and he didn't want the world to know. He never really got cured and just went about his business. The same thing happened to Steve Job, his cancer was terminal, but he told the world it was "hormonal imbalances" that caused his weight loss. When you have a sudden weight loss due to cancer thats it, no chemo will save you. It makes sense about having puppets in thr Nintendo E3 and Iwata not shown anywhere. The man was extremely ill and wanted to be with his family in his last moments.

Edit: can I also get a ribbon memorial for my avatar. Much appreciated, GAF.

My own grandmother got thin after surviving cancer (twice) about ten years ago. She is still with us today. Not the same cancer, but it gave me hope he would live long.

Damn, I didn't expect to read anything like this when I got on the internet tonight.

This is really depressing. Only 55 years old, that's way too young. Who will be the face of Nintendo now? A Nintendo Direct/Digital Event without any Satoru Iwata will be so strange.

webkid94

Ribbon please!

Can't believe it, he was so young too :( will rewatch the old Iwata Asks and dig out my GBA and play in his memory, RIP Iwata-san

Oh my god, I've been posting in off topic all night and finally saw the news on my Facebook fees. This is as shocking of a death as I can remember on recent memory.

Rip you beautiful man, I could listen to you talk about the industry for days on end.

69wpm

Wow, what did I wake up to? This came out of nowhere :(

RIP, Iwata. You will be greatly missed. I can't even think what Nintendo will be like from now on.

He had probably known about Iwata's condition for a while now. He was hopefully able to prepare himself. I couldn't take seeing Miyamoto sad, that would be devastating.

Honestly, I don't think you can ever really prepare yourself for something like this. No matter how much you know it's coming, a part of you will always hope for even 1 more day. It's not an entirely rational thing, so you can't ever be completely prepared

I'm glad to see such an outpouring of love and compassion not only in remembrance of Satoru Iwata and his legacy, but also among the community for all of those whose lives were deeply affected by Nintendo's games, past or present. It goes to show that for all the bickering and fighting we normally engage in, we are still a community that can be brought together, not only in mourning, but through the celebration of a great man who gave us all so much happiness over the years.

This is truly sad, this man was an absolute legend in the industry and touched so many lives.

I truly hope he is in a better place, that he is at peace and that his family is well.

God bless him.

Iwata.

Rest in Peace. ;_;7

Think I'm just gonna listen to a few more songs (Smile and Tears/The Kirby Super Star ending will probably wreck me) and then play Balloon Fight on my 3DS for the rest of the night.

Tonight's just been unreal. And to think this is just the beginning.

DrLazy

Iwata was a good guy. An executive who got his chops in the trenches as a coding bad ass. He makes Kirby, he throws down for Earthbound, he drops everything and starts coding to get Super Smash Bros Melee meet launch.

When he's promoted to CEO he takes a deep interest in innovation. In long term upkeep of franchises. In quality products. In the creative process. In his developers. And most of all in his customers.

Itwata respected the customers. Sometimes he was called conservative (the Wiimote is conservative?) but even their backwards decisions are made with the customers in mind. They're thinking of kids, fans, and making smiles.

In an industry full of in-app-purchases, average-revenue-per-paying-customer, and franchise burn out, Iwata guided Nintendo with a steady hand for the long term. Where they failed, they tried to innovate in new ways

A sad day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom