• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

NolbertoS

A few more

25hnFHa.png

CoBKMNa.png

PkVNk3R.png

eJm1OyM.png

FJUgqBQ.png

9nI94jW.png

zVARrid.png

FtcpEZS.png

Thank you :)

Found out via Miiverse... my Activity Feed is so sad right now, and yet it's also beautiful all the love that's being poured out for him...

Dryk

The shock came in the second year of the company's operation, 1983. Nintendo unveiled their game-oriented computer, the NES (or "Famicom" as it was known in Japan). It sold for the devastatingly low price of 15,000 yen.

"Please let me write games for it."

Iwata's feet naturally took him to the company's headquarters in Kyoto. It was the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

At the time, game programmers like Iwata were still quite rare. For Nintendo, whose internal software development system was not yet sorted out, his sudden appearance was a godsend.

Golf, Pinball, F1 Race... HAL Laboratory successfully undertook software development for Nintendo to publish legendary games that supported the NES in its early days -- and by doing so, the smaller company earned the larger one's trust. In 1984, Nintendo invested in HAL, underscoring HAL's importance as a crucial second-party developer.

But in 1992, despite its rapid growth, HAL Laboratory was faced with a crisis. They filed for bankruptcy protection under the Civil Rehabilitation Act, and were functionally insolvent.

The previous year, having grown to employ nearly 90 people, the company had moved from Tokyo to Yamanashi in an attempt to strengthen the software development section. However, it was just then that the economic bubble burst. They had borrowed most of the money to fund the new location's construction, and compounded with a recent lack of hits and the difficulty of raising short-term funding, declaring bankruptcy was the only option.

It was Nintendo that came to the rescue and supported continuing development.

Yamauchi, then president of Nintendo, had a high regard for HAL's development skills and attached a condition to Nintendo's aid: Iwata would become president of HAL upon the company's restructuring.

What a legend

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132806/iwata_and_miyamoto_business_.php?page=3

Rubixcuba

Banned
Will Nintendo make a statement on social media? It would be great if there was an official channel where we could direct our tributes/memories.

Soph

Ugh, didn't follow GAF for a while, saw it on a random comment on youtube and thought.. this is weird.. this is not real right.. browsed GAF.. and fuck

RIP Legend, may you find true peace

zashga

Wow, can't believe it; terrible news. He always seemed like such a smart, genuine guy. I really liked him as the head of Nintendo; hard to believe he's gone.

:(

bon

I'm going to play some Balloon Fight in his honor tonight. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks for everything Mr. Iwata.

Watching the muppet E3 Direct and it's bitter sweet. The great presentation mixed with the muppets and stories just hit in the heart so hard. Man, he's going to be missed so much. His persona added a good deal to the face of Nintendo and his leadership was much needed during the difficult years going for the GCN to the Wii. He, Miyamoto and Reggie were the perfect trio and he'll always be a part of my association with Nintendo.

Bogard

Putting my earlier thoughts from twitter here.

"I don't care who you are...I don't care what you think of him or the company...but Iwata, was an awesome person."

"That man faced infinite negativity from gamers, press, publishers and investors. And still managed to give the world many amazing games."

Indeed, he will be missed.

Rest in peace, Satoru Iwata. By far one of the most important people in the industry, and always one of my favorites.

He always seemed very genuine, and his impact on gaming will forever be remembered.

Getting a Wii with Twilight Princess at launch and playing it almost straight through in one sitting because of the magic of not just the game but the new way of playing it is by far one of my fondest memories right next to my first experience with Chrono Trigger. That's been almost ten years ago so I was 22, but even at 22 that made me feel like a kid again and the likes of Skyward Sword, Mario 3D World, and so on continue to do the same.

The launch of new Nintendo hardware is always such a thrill to me but there was something truly unique and special about the Wii. They couldn't quite get it with Wii U, but you know, that's alright. It was still awesome and we still have great games on the way for it. Bless Iwata and Nintendo for what they do and what they'll continue to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom