• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to bring home how influential Iwata was....top 6 topics on Reddit are all about Iwata's death....damn!

nPUzrwC.png

Speevy

Banned
It's always hard to talk about anything other than the admiration we have for this wonderful man, but I have to ask it.

Will Iwata's passing cause turmoil within Nintendo? I hope they can transition into the new console without his leadership because I know he would have wanted it.

RIP Iwata.

What a legend.

Weird cooncidence, My wife asked me to setup my Snes today around noon. I did it and I played Super Mario World today with my daughter for the first time. I showed her how to run forward and jump, her response "this is AWESOME" we shared a good hour of Super Mario world. Little did I know what news I would be getting a few hours later. Not sure I could think of any other way I would want to Honor him.

Thanks for everything Nintendo and Iwata.

Zyrox

Cancer is such a terrible disease. I lost my mom to that 2 months ago (she was 52) and now this. Way too soon :( My thoghts go out to his family and loved ones. I will always remember the happy times he brought me and my family. I am really thankful for all the smiles he has brought to us. Thank you Mr. Iwata, thank you and rest in peace.

I'd be grateful if someone could give my avatar a ribbon.

Or a roadmap to the future. Everything over the last couple years starting from the restructuring up until his death, has been laid out to shape the future of Nintendo. Iwata was a great leader and like all greats, he most likely left behind a plan or legacy for the others to follow.

You're right; I wasn't really thinking about his Quality of Life platform and roadmap. It's heartbreaking to think that as his health declined, he was thinking of how to improve the quality of life for all Nintendo fans and more

B.O.O.M

what terrible news. I just read this as i didn't have time to check gaf properly this weekend.

May he rest in peace. No matter what criticism I have had of him he was a huge part of the gaming world and a true icon. He would be sorely missed by millions. This really bummed me out :(

He will not be forgotten..ever.

ExVicis

People have always said he wasn't fit for the job and he should step down.

I only say that he understood.

He understood what Videogames are about. Maybe someone can disagree with his actions and the things he pushed for Nintendo but I feel like no one can say he was anything less than genuine in doing what he believed was right.

And personally I feel he was one of the few who understood. As someone who never owned a Wii and DS but owns a WiiU and a 3DS I cannot thank Iwata enough. Those systems got me back on board with Nintendo and made remember that special "it" quality Nintendo has.

Really, Iwata you will be missed but what I really want to say is thank you. Thank you for what you have done for Nintendo and for us. I could have never thanked you enough. You gave us so much. For the bottom of my heart Iwata, thank you.

It's always hard to talk about anything other than the admiration we have for this wonderful man, but I have to ask it.

Will Iwata's passing cause turmoil within Nintendo? I hope they can transition into the new console without his leadership because I know he would have wanted it.

he was friends with Reggie right?
so hell fire or brimstone hell make sure his wishes are honored

Brofield

This hit me so much harder than I expected.

This is a time for mourning, when we all need to come together to miss someone so dear to our lives and love for games and to celebrate this man's legacy.

Fuck, man....this just shouldn't be happening. 55 is way too bloody soon.

Foffy

Banned
Is it rude to say I hope that he wasn't the only one who was telling the Investers no every time they started mouthing off about IAP Moible Games?

No, because your concerns would be valid. Nintendo is really the final major player who hasn't caved to the capitalistic "profit at all channels" scenario that has made games so difficult to simply enjoy.

I would imagine the company attitude is cultivated against that, and not just by heads at the top.

Many of us who grew up in the 90s can relate to having an NES or SNES always around and always part of their lives growing up. I dare say Nintendo had a part in shaping who I am (such as I am).

I had a mixed childhood. I never had a father, and while my grandfather helped raise me when I was young, he died when I was 10. I was mainly raised by my mother.

There were certainly happy and less happy times, but Nintendo was always a fixture.

Thanks for sharing. Yeah I totally am right there with you. My family hated videogames because I bugged them so much about them, but my grandfather knew how much they made me happy so he'd buy them and rent them for me. There are certain games that will always remind me of him but in the best way. I was fortunate to have him until I was 25 but I'll absolutely always associate him with those childhood memories of playing Nintendo. He'd urge me to you know go outside and stuff but again he knew how much I liked playing them and that was more important to him. Sorry for being sentimental but it's a sentimental time!

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Reading this thread, I can't believe real tears are coming out of my eyes. I can't...

I guess videogames mean quite a bit to me and this man meant a lot for videogames

HardRojo

Also, this news really hits close to home. Having a father who's been fighting cancer for about a year and a half and seeing him getting skinnier as time passes. I can't begin to imagine how Iwata's family and close friends are feeling right now. My thoughts go to them. Truly a sudden and big loss for the industry and the world.

Miyamoto is not suited at all for a CEO position, at least from his profile. I think the one who is going to be interim CEO until the next shareholder reunion (something I expect pretty soon) is Mr. Kimishima

He is pretty much No. 2/3 at Nintendo for a couple of years now. If anyone can keep up the spirit it´s him. But it´s really not the day for that. I still believe i am having a bad dream.

I'm sad because I know this man worked really hard to give people, including me, enjoyable and fun and memorable gaming experiences. Experiences we will carry with us likely for years to come if not the rest of our life.

From the beginning, where he enjoyed seeing his friends playing the calculator baseball game he programmed, and even now in the actual business of gaming, he worked so hard to continue surprising and delighting us.

That's why I have tears in my eyes now. :(

Lynx_7

It took me a while to fully digest this news. I couldn't believe it had actually happened, you know. This is the first time I've legit teared up a little bit for someone I didn't even know personally. I was reading one of his Iwata Asks just a few days ago, and now there won't ever be another one.

I'm sad now. Rest in peace, Iwata.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really upset over this. I've been critical of the man's business strategy for a while now, but all through that, I wanted him to be right, because I respect his vision for the industry. He stood up for his values about what gaming should be instead of chasing the quick buck and looked out for his employees. He's played a major role in shaping the medium. He was a man of integrity.

I found out about this because everyone began to write messages about it on Miiverse, then I came here to see what was going on... I can't believe it...

RIP. I didn't believe the news when I first saw it. This has honestly made me cry. Iwata was one of the few video game executives that truly felt like one of us. No matter how Nintendo was doing he always stood up to the shareholders and said that making great games is what comes first. The DS was crucial to helping me develop my tastes in games; showing me countless new genres and really expanding my gaming horizons.

I think I need to finally get around to finishing Earthbound.

Grief.exe

This thread is really making this hard. The artwork, the music, the words of kindness, it's just so incredibly touching.

It has to be just the breadth of lives this one person has touched with his work and ideals.

Thanks Mr. Iwata

Felensis

Banned
Gave my condolences earlier in this thread. May I ask that someone put those ribbons on my avatar as well? Thanks in advance.

Still can't believe it and shed in tears :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom