• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveCake

I'm looking to add a ribbon for myself, anyone have the collection of ribbons to choose from?

Also, I offered and it's still available, let me know if you want me to add a ribbon to your avatar. :)

However, because things move so quickly, PLEASE PM me! It's really hard to collect requests especially if others will fulfill them while I'm doing someone's avatar. :)

I have been using these ones, i have done quite a few this evening, it's late here so if you can continue for the people what want ribbons it would be great.

FYETK1g.png
8nj4W1R.png

http://imgur.com/8nj4W1R http://imgur.com/FYETK1g

It's amazing how well he kept his composure up until the end. That's why it's so hard for a lot of people. No one knew anything was this bad. Then when you think about why he didn't appear at E3, it makes a lot more sense. He, unfortunately, went downhill very fast it seems. It's heartbreaking knowing that his last Official photo was likely taken because they knew he didn't have much time, and that it would soon be used in his obituary.

eh. Generally in obituaries they use photos before the illness took over. The picture taken last month of him clearly showing a sickly pale Iwata is probably not how he wants to be remembered. I bet they'll use a photo of him from 2013 or 2012

The NX should be named Nintendo Iwata..

R.I.P.

I know emotions are high during this time, but that's going overboard. Iwata's legacy will live on thanks to all the great games he's involved with. Every time you fire up balloon Fight, Kirby, or SSBM, you're already playing something with his personal touch in it. It's not just a name, but something he personally worked on and programmed for.

baphomet

eh. Generally in obituaries they use photos before the illness took over. That last picture taken last month of that clearly showed a sickly pale Iwata is probably not how he wants to be remembered. I bet they'll use a photo of him from 2013 or 2012

That's what I would hope, but generally, they wouldn't have someone who is deathly sick have a photoshoot. It's very odd either way.

chadboban

A perfect sendoff song for Iwata, considering his part in helping save Earthbound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l46B4c9ron8

Posted it earlier as well because it's just so perfect. Made me burst out in tears.

Take a melody
Simple as can be
Give it some words and
Sweet harmony
Raise your voices
All day long now love grows strong now
Sing a melody of love
Oh of love

Love is the power, love is the glory
Love is the beauty and the joy and spring
Love is the magic, love is the story
Love is the melody all can sing

Man. I think what hits me most in this flood of fan art, is Mario crying with his head down. Mario the face of fun in video games looks destroyed.

It's the 200th page of this thread & I still can't believe it. ;_;
Neither can I. I went to bed last night after playing some games and talking with my friends hoping I'd wake up and find out I had some weird dream within a dream or something and for this to not be true. It's the kind of thing you don't think or want to be around for because it's a real blow to everyone. I can't say Rest in Peace enough to this man. He truly did love video games and just making fun video games. Nintendo is what got me into gaming and now someone who was apart of that is gone.

R.I.P. Iwata and thank you.

Edit: Also, now that the thread has slowed down just a bit, may I please get a ribbon for my avatar? Preferably this one.

Randomizer

RIP to a visionary, revolutionary and a seemingly genuine nice person. So many great games released under his leadership and he personally had his hand in a handful of my favourite games. He was so young too. Such a terrible form of cancer, up there with Pancreatic.

His stance on the industry and defiance to the "following the money" stock holders was refreshing. The fact that even when Nintendo was losing money he refused layoffs and instead reduced executive salaries including his own by half. I hope the next CEO is as steadfast against stock holders and just as caring and understanding of his staff.

I have been using these ones, i have done quite a few this evening, it's late here so if you can continue for the people what want ribbons it would be great.

FYETK1g.png
8nj4W1R.png

Ohh I have a template of the Mario font version, avatar sized, if anyone likes that. I used it to edit some avatars earlier. For anyone that wants it. Full credit to this post.

tsVMhgk.png

I think I read somewhere today that he did some kind of work on the Balloon Trip Breeze portion of Nintendoland, is there any truth to that?

They may have run things past him but he hasn't worked on any game since becoming CEO.

Though he told Stephen Totilo that he wants to start making games again, but he's too busy as CEO. Kind of sad he never got the chance again.

Probably read this from teh Eurogamer obit.

There's a wonderful story about him patrolling the shop floor at Nintendo's Kyoto headquarters prior to the Wii U's release, being shown the line-up for the console's impending launch in his role as the company's president. He paused on Balloon Trip Breeze, a mini-game within Nintendo Land which paid tribute to Balloon Fight, the 1984 game on which Iwata acted as programmer. Noticing something wasn't quite right with the feel of the characters as they flapped their way across the screen, he astonished everyone present as he set about fixing it - the head of the company rolling his sleeves up and getting stuck into the code.

Terrell

On my way to bed and my head is everywhere because of this news.
Someone I know on Facebook posted about this, and this is what I said at the time:

It's truly sad. Everyone who ever met him had said he was unlike any corporate president they've ever seen, a gentle, personable and infectiously positive person, like a teddy bear in a rich man's suit.
And everything he did showed how much he understood the nature of the business he was in, truly cared for making other people happy and loved every minute of it.

Aku-Audi

Trying to avoid self promoting too much with this, but Chris Huelsbeck (classic game composer) and I will be streaming Balloon Fight and other Iwata games on Wednesday. Chris worked extensively with Nintendo, even coding their N64 music software MusyX, so while he didn't directly work with Iwata he has lots of Nintendo stories from his long career so he wanted to do this stream.

RMI

Banned
I was tearing up a little bit reading the OP. Condolences to his family and friends. Definitely taken from the world too soon.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Just wanted to say that I'm glad the NeoGAF community is here to help each other get through this. You guys rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom