• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardKSJ

I'd been holding most of it back, but after watching this with it's beautiful music and looking at all the tributes. I completely broke down and I can't stop crying.

He wanted to make fun games, and bring happiness to people through them, and he did it. He brought happiness to many people's childhoods and throughout. You will be remembered fondly Iwata.

@ramtower: Thanks, guys.
CJ1EU8aVAAA6sy9.jpg

http://t.co/V8sjcdEmkF
@WhatMeMurray: #ThankYouMrIwata
CJ1C174UcAAOo8W.jpg

http://t.co/XhRJyezltq
From NoA employees' twitter

Gnilres

If someone hasn't already, can somebody draw Iwata driving on Rainbow Road in a Kart and have the drawing next to the Nintendo Headquarters rainbow pic?

TLH

Neo Member
I still cannot believe he's gone. I watched the Gamecenter CX episode, the Wii U unboxing video and some Nintendo directs and it felt like he was still among us. I started to get worried when I read the recent Iwata Asks and noticed how much weight he had lost and how his skin had changed in the photographs. It's makes me really sad that we will never hear "directly" from him again or read an Iwata Asks from him.

This webpage
is in Japanese, but it contains some trivia about Iwata, like how poor his English was when he was at school so that he had to work really hard to improve his English skills when he started working at Nintendo or how he got into reading books because Shigesato Itoi recommended some books to him.
There are also 2 niconico videos that show his likeable quirkyness. In one video, he is shown a dating sim and the other one is an old Nintendo direct with the infamous "staring at bananas" and where he suddenly starts to wear a jacket and sunglasses.

To honor him, I'm going to download Earthbound and main an Iwata Mii for the next Nintendo game.
Rest in pease, Iwata.
ご冥福をお祈りします。

I think Mr. Iwata wouldn't want any of us to be sad that he's gone. He'd want us to sit down and enjoy a game, regardless if it was Nintendo or not.

My daughter and I will play some Splatoon tonight. And we will enjoy the charm and sheer Nintendo fun that game unleashes. Leave it to Nintendo to introduce my daughter to shooter mechanics and bring me back to online competition with Splatoon.

I'm surprised that his death wasn't announced for 2 days after he passed away. I know he's not a celebrity in a traditional sense, but generally when a popular figure dies we know almost right away. Any reason for this?

Gleethor

I think the balloon fight stage should definitely be added to the Wii U version of smash for free as a tribute
Hell, they could use that new remix that the original composer did.

jholmes

There are also 2 niconico videos that show his likeable quirkyness. In one video, he is shown a dating sim

Is this worth watching now or should I hope maybe some fellow grieving fan will do a translation in the coming days? My Japanese is pretty poor but I'm not completely lost in the language -- I feel like a dating sim is probably a bridge too far though.

wiibomb

I'm surprised that his death wasn't announced for 2 days after he passed away. I know he's not a celebrity in a traditional sense, but generally when a popular figure dies we know almost right away. Any reason for this?

because sometimes these things are informed to the family, and only the family, first so they can have time to digest the news..

From a corporate perspective, they had to announce it first thing before the markets opened in Japan. No point announcing over the weekend.

Chaos17

I think it's okay to let the family mourn in private first...

Same thing happened with Jobs. Probably to give time for his close family and friends to find out first.

chiimisu

I think that's just the way the things in Japan are done. It's not even the longest passing away/announcement gap.

Smellycat

I like to think Iwata just went "You know what would be funny? If we started this scene with me staring at bananas."

I don't think there was a Donkey Kong or anything that year, either.

I am pretty sure it was a hint at DKCRTF. The game was revealed at E3, 3 months after that direct.

Edit: or was it the next year? Doesn't matter, the game was ready to be shown at e3 that year but was pulled at the last minute.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I thought it was DK too, but then it turned into a strange motif and would crop up again once in a while. I think it's just Iwata being bananas.

Rich!

I am pretty sure it was a hint at DKCRTF. The game was revealed at E3, 3 months after that direct.

Edit: or was it the next year? Doesn't matter, the game was ready to be shown at e3 that year but was pulled at the last minute.

banana holding - e3 2012
tropical freeze reveal - e3 2013

Pardon my ignorance, but is he also the mastermind for every Nintendo character?

no. you are thinking of Shigeru Miyamoto (Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Starfox etc) or Sakurai (Kirby).

Iwata was a programmer, and didn't come up with any characters himself as far as I'm aware. Regardless, no one person comes up with all the characters at Nintendo. Miyamoto obviously is the creator of the most characters and franchises - but didn't come up with characters like Kirby, Wario, Samus, etc

Mr-Joker

Banned

To give the family some time to mourn over their loss in private.

what does him staring at the banana reference?

It was a cheeky hint that another Donkey Kong County game was in the work. He did it again at this year digital event in puppet form.

Of course it just could be him messing about, we will never know.

guek

Banned
I get misty eyed every time I open this thread. Ugh.

It's my birthday too :-(

My wife baked me a cake. Hopefully that plus some Earthbound can cheer me up.

Regginator

It's been a full day now and even though I didn't cry or anything emotionally exaggerated like that whatsoever, I still can't phantom he's really gone. It's like, the Directs will never be the same again.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
It's been nearly 24 hours now, and I'm still welling up. The continual stream of respect being paid by other companies, too. Like, what did Skype even have to do with Nintendo? It just goes to show how much of an amazing man he was to so many around.

Fuck Cancer.

The whole day I work today I kept thinking about Iwata's apology for Nintendo's showing at E3. He was probably very ill and still apologized and promised that they would do better next time while knowing there might not be a next time for him.

I can't even imagine having that level of humility.

Regginator

By the way, it's also very nice to see the gaming community being/feeling this close. Even if it's just for a little while. People in the industry you'd never think about in the same sentence. A shame it needed someone passing away.

Anyone know how much of a hand he had in Kirby 's Pinball Land?

It's my favourite pinball game ever and definitely top 5 game boy games ever. So much charm.

To give the family some time to mourn over their loss in private.

That makes sense. I guess I was just surprised no one in his circle leaked the news of his passing. If there's one industry that could keep something under wraps, it's the video game industry. I'm glad his family had time to mourn privately for as long as they did. Now the world can mourn along with them while celebrating his life and legacy.

The whole day I work today I kept thinking about Iwata's apology for Nintendo's showing at E3. He was probably very ill and still apologized and promised that they would do better next time while knowing there might not be a next time for him.

I can't even imagine having that level of humility.

That...that bit of information just made me really sad :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom