• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enforcer

I posted this a while back but since there are new people here and it's been a while longer I thought I'd post it again for those who still want to do something to honor his memory but don't know what to do.

If could make a suggestion for those of you who are mourning but don't know exactly what to do. This might sound appealing to you.

Caring and tending for something that embodies someone you've lost is a really good way to cope with loss and helps with the grieving process. Plants are extremely therapeutic and healing. Specifically tending to and growing a plant is simply a good thing, it is constantly filtering air and so much more.

Try going to the store and picking out a plant that you think Mr Iwata would like or that you think embodies him or that just seems special to you. Find a special spot in your yard (or in a pot on a windowsill) and plant it in memory of him. Take care of it and depending on what you planted it could last for years, it could cover the ground for you to lay on with your Gameboy or it could tower over you and provide shelter for you as a tree for you and your kids to play under. It could be a cactus plant that would last the rest of your life or a flower that blooms only at night. If you live in the right climate you could even plant a banana tree.

I am a community garden manager and I would be willing to help anyone with this as best as I can. Specifically with what soil to use for what plant and you can PM me if you ever have any problems or questions now and in the future and I will try to help you as best as I can.

Take pictures of what you did and PM them to me and I will put a thread together in the future. Maybe on the anniversary of his passing next year. I think that would be nice.

I think I'm going to follow this advice this weekend. I suspect I may be PMiing you for advice on how to proceed. I'm still having a hard time dealing with this and I find myself tearing up at random times throughout the day. This is especially troublesome having recently started a new job, but thankfully I've managed to keep it together at work. I just feel so empty. I've been struggling for the last few days to write down my thoughts, but they just won't come. I really liked your suggestion though, and I think it will help.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When I think back to when I moved from casual Nintendo fan to a more informed fan who started to care about Nintendo the company rather than just Nintendo the games, it was when Iwata was in charge. This isn't just a coincidence, I feel, but a result of Iwata making Nintendo feel like a more open company with initiatives such as Iwata Asks and Nintendo Direct that have brought Nintendo closer to players (it also helps that within recent years Nintendo has stopped treating Europeans like second class citizens).

When he gave his speeches at GCD, no matter the backlash he may have faced, I felt this was a man who truly cared about this industry and its future and it was this attitude that helped cement my support for the company as a whole rather than just thinking they're a company that happens to make good games.

So in some ways the loss of Iwata, for me, represents the end of a significant era of Nintendo.

If Nintendo leaves luck to the heavens then surely their future will be prosperous.

I don't think anyone should feel bad about being critical about Iwata's job performance before his death. It's the nature of the beast.

This. He didn't do everything perfectly, and I was extremely vocal about how Nintendo was running itself over the past months. However, we should just use this time to focus on all of the great things he did, because over his 30 year career in the industry they certainly outweighed the mistakes he made here and there over the past 4 years.

Mdk7

Lot's of people leaving flowers in NoA's building. It's sooo amazing :')

tumblr_nrgc970v2Y1qf510co1_540.jpg

source

Edit: ohhh that sign is actually done by someone from here on GAF if I remember correctly, right??

:')

I sent some flowers to Nintendo of Japan via Interflora the day this sad thing happened, yesterday i got a call and they said that Nintendo is not accepting flowers nor anything else to honor Iwata's passing (and the girl on the phone said this was really uncommon and strange).
It felt bad and hurt me a bit, frankly. :(

Eteric Rice

I sent some flowers to Nintendo of Japan via Interflora the day this sad thing happened, yesterday i got a call and they said that Nintendo is not accepting flowers nor anything else to honor Iwata's passing (and the girl on the phone said this was really uncommon and strange).

Wouldn't feel to bad. They might be getting slammed with stuff. :(

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

What is "uncommon and strange"? Sending something, or the fact that they refused?

Regardless, do flowers even handle this kind of trip well?

Sorry to hear they refused anyway. You and the others' initiatives are inspiring, but there doesn't seem to be any kind of memorial over here in France. I'm contemplating going to the French HQ and leaving a card there or something. It's a bit far from my place, but doable via subway. I wish I lived near the European HQ in Germany.

Mdk7

What is "uncommon and strange"? Sending something, or the fact that they refused?

Regardless, do flowers even handle this kind of trip well?

Sorry to hear they refused anyway. You and the others' initiatives are inspiring, but there doesn't seem to be any kind of memorial over here in France. I'm contemplating going to the French HQ and leaving a card there or something. It's a bit far from my place, but doable via subway. I wish I lived near the European HQ in Germany.
The refusal, as the girl who was on the line with me said herself... Apparently the delivery guy went there, and they told him that.

As for the flowers, they were shipped directly from Kyoto, that is the plus of using Interflora.

StayDead

I was looking for that iconic pre E3 2013 photo where Reggie, Miyamoto and Iwata were stood outside a black car that showing they'd arrived at E3 and found this in the process.

xME3myV.jpg

I've seen the one with Iwata in the barrel holding the bananas, but never this one. They always looked like they had so much fun together haha.

gogogow

I was looking for that iconic pre E3 2014 (I think) photo where Reggie, Miyamoto and Iwata were stood outside a black car that showing they'd arrived at E3 and found this in the process.

http://i.imgur.com/xME3myV.jpg[/IMG

I've seen the one with Iwata in the barrel holding the bananas, but never this one. They always looked like they had so much fun together haha.[/QUOTE]
Those were taken from E3 2013. Iwata skipped E3 2014 as instructed by his physician, which was the official statement by Nintendo.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The refusal, as the girl who was on the line with me said herself... Apparently the delivery guy went there, and they told him that.

As for the flowers, they were shipped directly from Kyoto, that is the plus of using Interflora.

Gotcha. Well, sucks even more then. Maybe you could try and send them to NoA instead?

I think he will be really happy in seeing us still using the "reverse coffin" gif for a sudden Wii U sales spike, his "Directly" poses for specific announcements and so on.
That Iwata funeral gif is going to see a lot of usage if NX takes off, and I imagine he would find that hilarious and rather fitting.

Carlius

Banned
man, never thought this would hit me this hard. watching some of his videos, specially the one where he fights reggie, its just sad.

Been reading over the old Iwata Asks articles. I really hope someone keeps this up, if not the next president. What a fun and insightful column (though I suspect a lot of that came from Iwata himself).

Big big shoes to fill.

RMI

Banned
I cant help but think of when myself and others were vocally disapproving of Nintendo's E3 showing and when Iwata made that (non) apology, that he maybe did that from a hospital bed. Makes me feel shitty.

I never thought I'd be saddened by the loss of a corporate CEO. Its weird.

I still can't believe that he was doing the investor Q&As during the meeting, so close to his death. I don't think I've ever seen someone so committed to their company. This gives me some faith that Nintendo will continue according to his wishes, because I'm pretty sure Mr. Iwata would have picked a good successor to lead the company forward.

Man, I was just floored and shell-shocked when I first saw this thread right after it was posted and all this time later, when I see it again I still have that same feeling of seeing it for the first time and not believing it's true. The last time I had this weird feeling was when Robin Williams passed away almost 1 year ago. Just unbelievably sad. I can't even imagine how crushed I'll be when others like Miyamoto and Kojima pass away in hopefully a long time from now.

It's not as bad when people die in their 80's or 90's, or even 70's, which hopefully our gamemaking heroes will. For Williams and Iwata, the nature of their deaths is much more tragic, especially considering their contributions to society and the kind of people they were.

http://christandpopculture.com/celebrating-satoru-iwatas-legacy-of-community-and-joy/

Celebrating Satoru Iwata’s Legacy of Community and Joy

In a way, Iwata’s life spoke a universal language that transcended his status as Nintendo’s president. His heart was to bring joy to the lives of others, and his passion for gaming created a company where quality co-existed with helping people discover new ways to have fun. Most importantly, he wanted to bring people closer together: “Today there are people who play and who don’t… [w]e’ll help destroy that wall between them.”

I wish we could have met. We probably would talk about his life in video games or the risk he took after graduating from college and choosing to work at a small start-up (which essentially left him and his father on non-speaking terms for over half a year).

But more than anything, I’d want to meet the man who helped give me worlds to explore, stories to share, and some of the best moments of my childhood. The CEO who cared to create Iwata Asks, a series of lengthy interviews that offered windows into Nintendo’s mostly unknown and mysterious workings. The technical genius whose coding wizardry enhanced and saved games that might have otherwise never been released. The humble, quiet soul who said that, despite his professional achievements and technical background, he was a gamer in his heart. The man who knew the inclusion and wonder games could bring us. The man who slyly invited us through “Nintendo Directs” to “please take a look” at what he had planned for each year.

I read this story years ago and managed to track it down again--got reposted recently due to Iwata's passing.

http://pupom.tumblr.com/post/123950632222/a-chance-encounter

Not long after Iwata was made president, this girl on a study abroad program happened to run into him and Miyamoto while hanging around Nintendo headquarters. Recognized Miyamoto (but not Iwata) and walked up to say hello. When Iwata introduced himself, it wasn't as Nintendo's president, but as the guy who created the Kirby games.

That he introduced himself that way always kinda stuck with me. That "in my heart I am a gamer" quote is getting thrown around a lot and on its surface it seems like something any suit would say to try and seem relatable, but you just know in Iwata's case it was true.

What a cool guy.

I had a dream last night where there was a new Iwata Asks for a new F-Zero game and in it Miyamoto just kept bashing the shit out of Animal Crossing: Wild World and kept comparing it to Shin Megami Tensei.

I've never once played SMT and enjoyed my time with WW. What have you done to me, Iwata?

Ianan

Man, I'm so bummed out by this news. Every time I see the thread title or something related to his death really puts me on a downer. Such an amazing person and influence to the entirety of the industry. R.I.P Iwata!

I had a dream last night where there was a new Iwata Asks for a new F-Zero game and in it Miyamoto just kept bashing the shit out of Animal Crossing: Wild World and kept comparing it to Shin Megami Tensei.

I've never once played SMT and enjoyed my time with WW. What have you done to me, Iwata?

This made me laugh out loud at my desk.

Majestad

Banned
Is incredible what Iwata was able to accomplish as the president of Nintedo. He had arguably the most dominant era in gaming of all time with the Wii and DS, the "Nintendo family". But is not just about sales, as the quality of Nintedo games has been consistent and top notch for a long time.

Like Reggie mentioned, we all know that he had a massive influence in the industry, but this will be appreciated and even more apparent years from now. I don't think we will ever see again something like your two platforms of the generation selling over 240 million.

I'm at the point where I can watch something like this and be happy for the life Iwata lived. I especially love the part where they play Mario Kart on the DS and Iwata seems to be having so much genuine fun playing it up there.

That's the way to look at it. As a developer he did what he loved. And as a bonus he led Nintendo too :)

-Minsc-

I'm posting from the Wii U gamepad. It's a handy feature, nothing mindblowing in the grand scheme of things. Since I was down in the living room I used what was convenient. I could have used my iPhone, the Wii U gamepad has a bigger window.

While Iwata wasn't the only reason I'm able to lean back and type this post on a Nintendo device, he certainly had a hand in making it a reality. All the little things.

Man I am still emotional about this.

Definitely the death of someone I never met that has hit me the hardest.

Yeah this trumps Steve Irwins death in 2006 in my eyes, the more I read how much he touched every gamer, developer and non-gamer and how much he fought just to keep living and doing the job he loved I'm truly heartbroken for everyone he met and that was close to him.

I'll say it again: this is sad, this is sick, this is wrong. this is soo fucking wrong on soo many levels, we lost a true visionary thanks to a fucking disease. fuck cancer.

Calamari41

41 > 38

This is excellent, and it brings up something that I had forgotten about and yet which I believe is 100% representative of Iwata's stewardship of the company and why we loved the guy. After announcing the initial 3DS price cut, rather than just throwing it out there and leaving it at that like most companies across all industries would do, he wrote a straight up apology letter to the fans. Iwata did make some mistakes, but he took the ramifications of those mistakes personally and he took them seriously.

The fact that he felt the need to personally apologize, and explain the situation without sugar coating, says it all.

This certainly isn't the kind of letter that goes out to customers from a typical CEO:

To Those Customers Who Bought A Nintendo 3DS Before The Price Change

Greetings, everyone. This is Satoru Iwata from Nintendo.

Thank you very much for purchasing a Nintendo 3DS.

We have just announced a price drop for the Nintendo 3DS system effective on August 11 [August 12 in North America].

In the past, there have been price drops for video game systems some time after their release in order to broaden the user base further. However, never before has Nintendo chosen to issue such a dramatic price drop less than 6 months after a system release.

We are all too keenly aware that those of you who supported us by purchasing the 3DS in the beginning may feel betrayed and criticize this decision.

This unprecedented timing for a price cut is because the situation has changed greatly since we originally launched the 3DS. We decided it was necessary to take this drastic step in order to ensure that large numbers of users will continue to enjoy the 3DS in the future.

If the software creators and those on the retail side are not confident that the Nintendo 3DS is a worthy successor to the DS and will achieve a similarly broad (user) base, it will be impossible for the 3DS to gain popularity, acquire a wide range of software, and eventually create the product cycle necessary for everyone to be satisfied with the system.

Those customers who purchased the 3DS at the very beginning are extremely important to us. We know that there is nothing we can do to completely make up for the feeling that you are being punished for buying the system early. Still, we would like to offer the following as a sign of our appreciation to you.

[3DS Ambassador program details]

We feel a strong responsibility to develop the 3DS as a platform -- to ensure that, in the end, everyone is satisfied; we will make every effort to do so.

Additionally, we know everyone is waiting for Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. They are scheduled for release in November and December, respectively, so we ask for your patience until then.

Thank you again, and we look forward to your continued support.

AdanVC

So, according to some developers that saw Iwata days before passing away, they said he looked fine... I truly wonder what happened then. What if not even Iwata himself was expecting this ??? :(

kirby_fox

Banned
So, according to some developers that saw Iwata days before passing away, they said he looked fine... I truly wonder what happened then. What if not even Iwata himself was expecting this ??? :(

I feel like he knew and had a diagnosis for a certain amount of time left, so he did as much as he could with that time.

It's partially why I think E3 was what it was. They had puppets because it'd be less time for him to do a quick voice over and focus on other things. They also had a focus on the games he had announced that would be coming out soon than a focus on a distant future where he knew he couldn't be a part of. I think it's only sudden to us because he didn't want people to worry about him, and let him get the things he needed to get done.

I doubt he expected this to happen so soon. It sounds like he was fine just a week ago or so, and then things must have taken a sudden turn for the worse. There's always a risk of that with these sorts of diseases. You can be doing fine and feeling like you're on the road to recovery one day, and then find yourself out of time before the week is even over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom