• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

I'm at the angry phase myself. I'm asking why didn't he just step aside while he got better? If it meant more time with him, we would've liked it, because he'd be there, directing us to fun. But he's gone. He probably didn't want to worry us, but it just hurts more with him not being there.
Cancer is like that. You can get better, go back to your every day life, then just back to the beginning. And that's even with operations, chemo, etc..there's no guarantee.

Lunar15

I am only posting this here because people asked me to when I said I was writing it (I never post my own work on GAF), but I was asked to make a short list of Iwata's legacy and accomplishments.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/07/the-legacy-of-satoru-iwata.html

The last one really got me. After so many years of Nintendo being a relative mystery, Iwata's biggest impact on me was peeling back the layers, at least a little bit, to see all the minds at work inside of the company. I think he gave the company a tone and voice that didn't exist outside of their games.

CassSept

I'm at the angry phase myself. I'm asking why didn't he just step aside while he got better? If it meant more time with him, we would've liked it, because he'd be there, directing us to fun. But he's gone. He probably didn't want to worry us, but it just hurts more with him not being there.

That's not how cancer works, him stepping aside would not have slowed down the process. By all accounts he looked normal mere days prior to his death.

He was clearly passionate about his work. I find that incredibly impressive that he had chosen still fulfill his duties up until the very end. Admirable, really, but it was obvious he loved his work.

I really think there was a child like innocence around him. His passing reminds me of Walt Disney who passed away of lung cancer.

While the two aren't exactly the same, their philosophies were very similar. Walt Disney once said " We believed in our idea — a family park where parents and children could have fun — together." “Too many people grow up. That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don’t remember what it’s like to be 12 years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. Well I won’t do that.”

Iwata never grew up. While he was a CEO, he was not like anyone else in the world. He was unique. He symbolized Nintendo. That's why his death is so significant. Because the very idea of Nintendo is being challenged. A lot of the executives at Nintendo are getting older. Who is going to lead Nintendo? Is the NX going to be successful? Is the mobile strategy going to work? What does the new CEO do when they take over the company?
That's it. Iwata never grew up and he was and still is what this industry needs more of.

Leflus

I still can't believe that he's gone. I was aware of his health issues beforehand, but it still seems surreal to me. He was one of those gaming industry persons that I wanted to live on "forever".

In addition to his legacy as a dev/exec, his ability to be both professional and playful is a quality I've always admired him for. He will be missed. : /

Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata.

Crocodile

Today has been the first day I've been able to read this thread for any extended period of time without almost breaking into tears. It's hard to imagine somebody I've never interacted with could make me feel this way but I guess I shouldn't be so surprised since he was responsible for so many moments of joy in my life and the lives of others I care about. This is such a profound loss for the industry as a whole. I know I already posted in here paying my respects but I honestly don't know if I will ever be "done" paying respects. I hope whatever plans for Nintendo he laid in place before his passing can bring even a fraction of the joy and good will the work he was able to accomplish during his life did. Godspeed Mr. Iwata. Godspeed.

pariah164

Today has been the first day I've been able to read this thread for any extended period of time without almost breaking into tears. It's hard to imagine somebody I've never interacted with could make me feel this way but I guess I shouldn't be so surprised since he was responsible for so many moments of joy in my life and the lives of others I care about. This is such a profound loss for the industry as a whole. I know I already posted in here paying my respects but I honestly don't know if I will ever be "done" paying respects. I hope whatever plans for Nintendo he laid in place before his passing can bring even a fraction of the joy and good will the work he was able to accomplish during his life did. Godspeed Mr. Iwata. Godspeed.
My feelings exactly these past few days. I'm slowly snapping out of the funk his death put me in, but I'm not quite there yet. Don't know if I'll ever be.

Well said.

thank_you_satoru_iwata_by_nekosmeet-d917nfm.png

Source: http://nekosmeet.deviantart.com/art/Thank-you-Satoru-Iwata-546232162

Number_6

I looked back at the first page, saw some new images, and teared up again.

I gotta know what game that "Hi friend" text is from, the white text with the black background and blue border. It looks kind of like Earthbound, but I just beat Earthbound for the first time and never saw that text.

I looked back at the first page, saw some new images, and teared up again.

I gotta know what game that "Hi friend" text is from, the white text with the black background and blue border. It looks kind of like Earthbound, but I just beat Earthbound for the first time and never saw that text.

Its edited text in the style of Earthbound (inspired by but not in Earthbound)

God, I broke down the same night the news broke and if I let the thoughts linger I still feel myself on the verge of tears. Never expected this to hit me as hard as it did. I'm going to miss Iwata.

Nanashrew

Banned
Does anyone know where I could download all of the Nintendo Directs? I kinda want to make a tribute video with a lot of old and new. I want to better celebrate his life in a way I know how.

vO7ELHz.jpg

Just finished the whole game with my little brother and sister. Had an amazing time. Thank you Mr. Iwata for giving us yet another reason to bond and spend time together.

Durden77

Last night I was playing Smash online and I encountered a guy who's name was "For Iwata."

When the match started, I just ducked and stayed still. He ran at me at first, but stopped before attacking and ducked as well. We just sat there ducking, for a good 20 seconds or so. I then tried to "punch" his name above his head. You know, to try and show him why I was doing this. I accidentally hit him. I tried again, and accidentally hit him again.

Instead of fighting back, he footstooled me. I footstooled him. For the next two an a half minutes or so, we proceeded to "fight" with only footstools, in possibly the most goofy and joyful time I've had with Smash Wii U since launch, before finally going to the ends of the stage, taunting, and fighting for real. It was like I could feel him laughing just as hard as I was from wherever in the world he was.

I think he got it. Rest in Peace Mr. Iwata, thanks for all the fun.

Neiteio

Last night I was playing Smash online and I encountered a guy who's name was "For Iwata."

When the match started, I just ducked and stayed still. He ran at me at first, but stopped before attacking and ducked as well. We just sat there ducking, for a good 20 seconds or so. I then tried to "punch" his name above his head. You know, to try and show him why I was doing this. I accidentally hit him. I tried again, and accidentally hit him again.

Instead of fighting back, he footstooled me. I footstooled him. For the next two an a half minutes or so, we proceeded to "fight" with only footstools, in possibly the most goofy and joyful time I've had with Smash Wii U since launch, before finally going to the ends of the stage, taunting, and fighting for real. It was like I could feel him laughing just as hard as I was from wherever in the world he was.

D'aww. :-3

Just so I can visualize this better, which characters were you guys using?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't Iwata firmly against the devaluation of video game software with rock bottom prices?

Yes. Although I don't think he made any firm statements on limited-time sales.

Either way, I can't say I'm a huge fan of that person's decision to honor his passing by doing a sale for some video games she made. Just doesn't sit well with me.

scamander

Banned
I still break out in tears when I read this thread, look at all the fan art or watch some of the tribute videos. I never thought about this before his death, but even though I never met Iwata, I always had the feeling to know him as a person. It was just the way he communicated with us or his pure, innocent presence on stage. He often made me smile and laugh and brought me joy. Not only via the games Nintendo made, but also as the genuine and grounded person he was. He didn't speak from above to his audience. He introduced us directly to new games and was just as passionate about them as we are. It was not only a business to Iwata, he really cared. Many of you have mentioned that before, but that's the reason it's so vastly different from the usual feeling you get when a public person dies. With Iwata it is like loosing a friend. And I really wish I could talk to family and friends in real life about this, but none of them is a gamer and could possibly understand.

I still can't imagine a Nintendo without Iwata. He left a hole no one can fill. All we can hope for is, that whoever takes over will honour his legacy and the path he paved for the future.

Thanks Mr. Iwata for all the memories, the fun, the excitement. Thanks for your commitment, for bringing Nintendo closer to the fans and for an overall incredible time. We will miss you!

That's pretty great.

Nia

Every time I see this thread on the front page I feel the same jolt I felt when I first saw it. I likely will for a long time.

I still break out in tears when I read this thread, look at all the fan art or watch some of the tribute videos. I never thought about this before his death, but even though I never met Iwata, I always had the feeling to know him as a person. It was just the way he communicated with us or his pure, innocent presence on stage. He often made me smile and laugh and brought me joy. Not only via the games Nintendo made, but also as the genuine and grounded person he was. He didn't speak from above to his audience. He introduced us directly to new games and was just as passionate about them as we are. It was not only a business to Iwata, he really cared. Many of you have mentioned that before, but that's the reason it's so vastly different from the usual feeling you get when a public person dies. With Iwata it is like loosing a friend. And I really wish I could talk to family and friends in real life about this, but none of them is a gamer and could possibly understand.

I still can't imagine a Nintendo without Iwata. He left a hole no one can fill. All we can hope for is, that whoever takes over will honour his legacy and the path he paved for the future.

Thanks Mr. Iwata for all the memories, the fun, the excitement. Thanks for your commitment, for bringing Nintendo closer to the fans and for an overall incredible time. We will miss you!

Well said, and I feel the same way. I've actually been trying to stay out of this thread in order to stop being a mess all day, but I keep getting drawn back.

Iwata will be very missed.

Linkhero1

Just watched this. The Iwata clip at the end. Dang... I'm going to miss hearing him talk on this directs you know. Hearing him give awesome announcements.

If there's one thing I'll miss the most, it's definitely hearing his voice and hearing him making announcements.

bumpkin

I just watched Iwata's "Heart of a Gamer" GDC presentation for the first time a few minutes ago. Such a great presentation. He had so much insight, a sense of humor, this air of joy as he told his stories, and was just so genuine. As others have said, the absence of all of these qualities is why Nintendo Directs won't be the same without him (if they even do them anymore).

While I haven't been brought to full-on tears (gotten a bit misty here and there), I do feel a deep sadness when I see and watch everyone's tribute videos and artwork. Iwata really was the personification of everything I love about Nintendo and their games/hardware. To think that he won't be around to see what the NX becomes and how their business evolves and expands into other areas (like theme parks) is just really, really sad. If anyone deserved to see it, it was him.

The gaming industry -- and really the world -- lost an incredibly special human being. RIP, Mr Iwata. :(

Rich!

You know whats sad?

Due to the two day delay of the news being made public, there were quite a few comments and posts not just on GAF but elsewhere too of the typical "get rid of Iwata" kind...of course, none of the people making said comments knew he was actually dead.

Due to the two day delay of the news being made public, there were quite a few comments and posts not just on GAF but elsewhere too of the typical "get rid of Iwata" kind...of course, none of the people making said comments knew he was actually dead.

To be fair, why would this change their minds on that particular matter? It doesn't really change what they thought about his decisions. I know what you're saying though, it just makes me curious.

Rich!

To be fair, why would this change their minds on that particular matter? It doesn't really change what they thought about his decisions. I know what you're saying though, it just makes me curious.

Not saying it would change their minds.

But its just odd to think of.

jholmes

Not saying it would change their minds.

But its just odd to think of.

I'd like to think people might use that point you've made as a reason to treat people they don't know less like a punchline and more like a person. That stranger you're badmouthing could be in the middle of some hard times, or even dead for that matter.

You know, I kinda ignored this news after the initial shock. But now, reading this thread and watching all the tributes... I'm getting all misty eyed. I didn't realize how much Mr. Iwata meant to me. He really was an exceptional guy. Nintendo is not gonna be the same without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom