• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghibli99

Just a quick glance, I didn't see this posted yet, so...

ArtsyOmni (of the Smashified series) and Etika (of Etika World Network) have launched a TeeSpring campaign for a shirt based on the artwork Omni created shortly after Iwata's passing. 50% of their proceeds are going to the Child's Play and the other 50% to cancer research (undecided which charity at this time; they're asking for suggestions in the comments of their Youtube video detailing the campaign.) The campaign is active for 9 days and as of right now, there are no plans to continue it beyond this, so you'll be unable to order a shirt after this time period.

T-shirt comes in a black or blue variety and looks like this:
CKIdzxdUYAA45AN.jpg

More info on the campaign found here: http://teespring.com/thank-you-iwata#pid=6&cid=619&sid=front
Nice shirt. Ordered!

El Odio

Banned

ArtsyOmni (of the Smashified series) and Etika (of Etika World Network) have launched a TeeSpring campaign for a shirt based on the artwork Omni created shortly after Iwata's passing. 50% of their proceeds are going to the Child's Play and the other 50% to cancer research (undecided which charity at this time; they're asking for suggestions in the comments of their Youtube video detailing the campaign.) The campaign is active for 9 days and as of right now, there are no plans to continue it beyond this, so you'll be unable to order a shirt after this time period.

CKIdzxdUYAA45AN.jpg

More info on the campaign found here: http://teespring.com/thank-you-iwata#pid=6&cid=619&sid=front
Backed so hard. Seems they've already reached their minimum but I'm more than glad to donate to their cause. Will spread word about this to my friends later.

CKIdzxdUYAA45AN.jpg

Pledged as well, I love the message on the back.

Cocoa

CKIdzxdUYAA45AN.jpg

Contributed by getting the blue shirt.

Hermii

He's now the leader of the company, of course he's right. :p
I meant I hope things such as the aquisition of nerd, the nx, universal deal, mobile games, partnership with dena and things we don't even know about that Iwata is responsible for will lead to great things in the future.

Right in the feels. I got choked up at the end. :(
Same. It's been a whole week of getting choked up over each tribute, story, and photo. The photo of his coffin was a real gut-punch.

But on a different note, yesterday when I was driving to work I had some tunes from the MK8 soundtrack playing. It was just a little after sunrise, was I driving by a cow pasture on the way, and it just happened that the Moo Moo Meadows song was on. It put a big smile on my face. It was bittersweet but I thought about how that was Iwata's life's work: to put smiles on people's faces and to make video games fun for everybody.

Same. It's been a whole week of getting choked up over each tribute, story, and photo. The photo of his coffin was a real gut-punch.

But on a different note, yesterday when I was driving to work I had some tunes from the MK8 soundtrack playing. It was just a little after sunrise, was I driving by a cow pasture on the way, and it just happened that the Moo Moo Meadows song was on. It put a big smile on my face. It was bittersweet but I thought about how that was Iwata's life's work: to put smiles on people's faces and to make video games fun for everybody.

Yeah, its going to be interesting to see Nintendos output over the next couple of years, I played Yoshis Woolly World today with my daughter and I thought will these types of games become less frequent with his passing. How much of Nintendos output over the past 10 years was initiated and curated by him personally, I think it was pretty high.

Makes me nervous.

Dicer

Banned
It sucks that I was unable to post when this happened, I was simply floored and I had so much to say, but now it's all been said by people here...

He was an amazing person, and simply the best President of a game company ever. His loss will echo across the industry for quite a long time to come.

Finishing Majora's Mask 3d and seeing "Executive Producer: Satoru Iwata" as the last thing is a bittersweet feeling.

I was also playing the game when I decided to pause and browse gaf, only to find out about the sad news of Iwata's passing.

I still can't believe this happened. Iwata was responsible for some of my happiest memories. I'll definitely honor him by playing some of his games. R.I.P.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Genyo Takeda's memorial address for Satoru Iwata
As we gather here today for a joint funeral with Nintendo Co., Ltd. and Mr. Iwata’s family, I would like to share my heartfelt condolences. President Iwata, allow me to call you Iwata-san, just as I always used to.

Iwata-san, you left us far too soon. Having just chaired our shareholders’ meeting the other day on June 26, the news of your sudden death has left all the employees overcome with a deep sorrow. The late Yamauchi-san passed the baton to you in naming you the president of Nintendo in 2002, and the two Senior Managing Directors of the company, Shigeru Miyamoto and I, have been assisting and working alongside you. Being rather short-tempered myself, the thing that I am most deeply struck by is that you were a true leader in every sense of the word, overflowing with compassion for people. You always maintained a two-way dialogue, even with the next generation of employees, or with much younger members of the development and marketing teams, or with employees outside of Japan whose different customs and cultures can make communication challenging — sometimes even admitting your own mistakes to them. You demonstrated this through your belief that people could eventually come to understand one another, and your strong conviction that the best way for us to grow is through patient communication, even if it took several times, a dozen times or even seemingly endless discussion.

You succeeded in planting the seed in employees’ hearts that, in order to solve an issue, there is a fundamental cycle whereby you make a hypothesis, execute the plan, see the result and then make adjustments, and by which you have caringly nurtured these seeds to sprout and mature into plants.

Until now, our successors and the younger generation would take a few first steps and then look back at you for guidance because they could not tell if they had chosen the right path. Today they cannot ask for your guidance anymore.

However, I am sure that they have already made the firm determination that they will continue on their own, making the hypothesis, executing the plan, seeing the results and reflecting on the results to improve and adjust by themselves.

In the face of your unbelievable passing it will surely take some time before we can emerge from this deep sorrow. Please know, however, that the seeds you have planted, and the plants that have sprouted will put forth small flowers as they bring smiles to the faces of people around the world, blossom into a grand flower bigger than even you, our leader, Iwata-san. Together with Miyamoto and others of our generation, we swear in our hearts that we will continue our efforts so that, someday, we can report and present to you the blossoming of these flowers. May you continuously watch over and guide us managers, our employees and your family.

On behalf of all of us, I would like to offer my heartfelt condolences and sincerest prayer. May you rest in peace, Iwata-san.

Dahlifyr

Banned
Have been working alot since this sad news arrived, and havent sat down to really let it sink in....But now i am, and all that i want to say is:

May you rest in peace Mr Iwata, and thank you.

Eolz

Really beautiful eulogy from Takeda.
Great speech, full of hope for Nintendo's future generation, of confidence for the current one, and thankful for everything he did. That plant comparison was superb too, couldn't have been better easily.

Please know, however, that the seeds you have planted, and the plants that have sprouted will put forth small flowers as they bring smiles to the faces of people around the world, blossom into a grand flower bigger than even you, our leader, Iwata-san. Together with Miyamoto and others of our generation, we swear in our hearts that we will continue our efforts so that, someday, we can report and present to you the blossoming of these flowers. May you continuously watch over and guide us managers, our employees and your family.
Beautiful speech.

DrWong

I just read the translation of Yoot Saito's blog post, then watched the Gamespot video and ended with the eulogy... So excuse me if I let you a moment to smoke a big one, with some wine, but I need something to sweet the sadness...

TheJoRu

This is really wonderful stuff from GameSpot.
The Point - Understanding Iwata's Legacy
http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-understanding-iwatas-legacy/2300-6426061/

Absolutely amazing. The video pinpoints exactly what I have perceived Iwata's fundamental philosophies about gaming to be, and does so in a beautifully presented manner.

That GDC 2005 keynote is so good. If I'd been in that audience as a game developer I'd been gobsmacked to hear something like "How often have you challenged yourself to create a game that you might not play?" As someone who's been in game development this thinking feels so wrong at first; then you reflect on the kinds of experiences Nintendo made for the DS and Wii. Suddenly you realise that it is the very essence of broadening the appeal of games and how powerful it can be in the hands of good game designers with the guts to try something new.

Man, the end of that Gamespot video made me tear up a little and now I'm completely choked up reading that eulogy by Takeda. I am sure they will honor his memory at NCL to the very fullest extent and produce wonderful products and content for us all to enjoy.

gamerMan

Having just chaired our shareholders’ meeting the other day on June 26, the news of your sudden death has left all the employees overcome with a deep sorrow.

So tragic. Looks like Nintendo wasn't expecting him to go so soon. In just 2 short weeks, he was gone from this life forever. Heartbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom