• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumpkin

Just a quick glance, I didn't see this posted yet, so...

ArtsyOmni (of the Smashified series) and Etika (of Etika World Network) have launched a TeeSpring campaign for a shirt based on the artwork Omni created shortly after Iwata's passing. 50% of their proceeds are going to the Child's Play and the other 50% to cancer research (undecided which charity at this time; they're asking for suggestions in the comments of their Youtube video detailing the campaign.) The campaign is active for 9 days and as of right now, there are no plans to continue it beyond this, so you'll be unable to order a shirt after this time period.

T-shirt comes in a black or blue variety and looks like this:
CKIdzxdUYAA45AN.jpg

More info on the campaign found here: http://teespring.com/thank-you-iwata#pid=6&cid=619&sid=front
I bought two, one of each color. :D

That Gamespot video was powerful. I couldn't help but think back to all of those experiences and joy I had due to Iwata's innovations and risk taking. Especially the Pokemon franchise, and the DS.

Edit: And went for the blue shirt.

Muku

That eulogy... wow. It left me speechless. I don't think I've seen someone say it so well. It's amazing to see these things. To show us that in all parts of his life he was this patient man. That it wasn't some facade. That's what makes this all the more difficult I think. One of a kind. It tears me up and I didn't even know the man. I can't imagine what it was like for his friends and family. He was just a beautiful soul inside and out. He won't be forgotten.

That eulogy... wow. It left me speechless. I don't think I've seen someone say it so well. It's amazing to see these things. To show us that in all parts of his life he was this patient man. That it wasn't some facade. That's what makes this all the more difficult I think. One of a kind. It tears me up and I didn't even know the man. I can't imagine what it was like for his friends and family. He was just a beautiful soul inside and out. He won't be forgotten.

Yup, a beautiful soul. I wish I had his patience and genuine kindness. I have to try harder. It's brutal that we've lost him as gamers. I can only imagine what this is actually like for the people that knew him.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
I finally broke when I watched the Gamespot video. And when I say broke I really broke...so beautiful.

Rösti;172171934 said:
Some more photos (and the one already posted, here in slightly higher quality):

iwata_3eapcc.png

iwata_214o4j.png

iwata_1p2o3p.png

From Getty Images. Photos by Asahi Shimbun.
I can't believe I'm seeing these images. It's so surreal. Wish I could have gone and paid my respects. Maybe some day.

Just a quick glance, I didn't see this posted yet, so...

ArtsyOmni (of the Smashified series) and Etika (of Etika World Network) have launched a TeeSpring campaign for a shirt based on the artwork Omni created shortly after Iwata's passing. 50% of their proceeds are going to the Child's Play and the other 50% to cancer research (undecided which charity at this time; they're asking for suggestions in the comments of their Youtube video detailing the campaign.) The campaign is active for 9 days and as of right now, there are no plans to continue it beyond this, so you'll be unable to order a shirt after this time period.

T-shirt comes in a black or blue variety and looks like this:
CKIdzxdUYAA45AN.jpg

More info on the campaign found here: http://teespring.com/thank-you-iwata#pid=6&cid=619&sid=front
This is awesome. Wish I could buy one right now. Hopefully I can soon.

Kodaman

The one two hit from the gamespot video and the eulogy was to much for me :c

from the gamespot comments:
Posted by Derpalon
Thanks for all the great times Mr. Iwata. You're the CEO that every game company should strive to have.

qft...

RGVNOE

Ali Rapp posted a couple nice photos of the NoA facade memorial

CKJCubTUMAAe_nQ.jpg:orig

CKJCuboVEAAoa5i.jpg

Love the bananas in the middle, I think Iwata himself would've loved that and it would've brought a big smile to him, and the process a smile to all of us, definitely going miss seeing him in the directs, RIP Iwata

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Rösti;172171934 said:
Some more photos (and the one already posted, here in slightly higher quality):

iwata_3eapcc.png

iwata_214o4j.png

iwata_1p2o3p.png

From Getty Images. Photos by Asahi Shimbun.

Oh my god....that's him...in that casket....I just cant believe he is in a casket....

Kenai

Love the bananas in the middle, I think Iwata himself would've loved that and it would've brought a big smile to him, and the process a smile to all of us, definitely going miss seeing him in the directs, RIP Iwata

I feel so weird. I made it through the (very well done) video but the stuff in front of the NoA sign gave me the waterworks.

I hope someday i get the chance to pay my respects.

Elios83

I still can't believe it whenever I think about it...life can be cruel although at least Iwata-san probably had the chance to realize most of his dreams, which is an amazing accomplishment for a human being.

RMI

Banned
Really powerful eulogy. I hope that his philosophy lives on at Nintendo and in generations of future developers who he inspired.

SuomiDude

This is really wonderful stuff from GameSpot.
The Point - Understanding Iwata's Legacy
http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-understanding-iwatas-legacy/2300-6426061/
I got really emotional after watching this video, especially during the end of the video. My fiancee's brother died a month a half ago, so in this short period of time I've got enough these bad news, but life goes on. Still, it's surprising to see how a man I didn't even personally know, can affect me so much. Iwata really left a permanent mark in many of our lives.

GCX

I can't help but to think how hard this must be for Miyamoto and Takeda. They lost a great friend and colleague yet instead of mourning they must carry on the business as usual. Everything they do at work must remind them of Iwata since they're filling his role.

Fortunately at least Miyamoto is such a positive person that he'll get through anything.

semiregular

Neo Member
Does anybody found a copy of the eulogy in Japanese?

So far I couldn't find the full eulogy as well. WSJ journalist Takashi Mochizuki tweeted some excerpts. I have no idea how to quote tweets so I just copy and paste them below.

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/621945573352980480
任天堂・岩田さんの告別式、竹田専務の弔辞より。「岩田さんが植えられた種と、育った苗から世界中の人々を笑顔にする小さな花や、指導者岩田さんを乗り越える大きな花が咲き開いてそれらを携えて、私や宮本の古い世代と一緒に、ご仏前にその花の手向けにご報告する日を心に誓い一層の努力」をする。

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/621953242860163072
任天堂・岩田さんの告別式、竹田専務の弔辞より、その2。「問題解決には、仮説を立て、実行をし、結果を見て、軌道の修正をする そのサイクルを繰り返すという基本を社員の心に種を植えられました、そして丁寧に苗に育てられました。」

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/621954179834097664
任天堂・岩田さんの告別式、竹田専務の弔辞より、その3:自身が語り合い直接意見を聞き出しながら時には率直に自身の失敗の反省も述べ、辛抱強くエンドレスに対話する事でしか人の成長が有りえないという強い信念、必ず分かり合えるのだという人に対する愛情に溢れる文字通りの指導者そのものでした。

There are so many moving stories and bits and pieces shared on Twitter by Iwata's old colleagues. My English and my Japanese are equally bad, but I'll try to see if I can translate some in my next post...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So far I couldn't find the full eulogy as well. WSJ journalist Takashi Mochizuki tweeted some excerpts. I have no idea how to quote tweets so I just copy and paste them below.

There are so many moving stories and bits and pieces shared on Twitter by Iwata's old colleagues. My English and my Japanese are equally bad, but I'll try to see if I can translate some in my next post...

Thanks for those tweets. I was looking for the original Japanese last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom