• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

PedroRVD

Kodaman

Everytime I see the this thread highlighted in my subscriptions I get sad :(
I remember the sadness that it caused me and it worries me that there's no one like him in this industry, with his integrity, knowledge and vision.

Kaiser_Glider

Neo Member
I still can't believe he's gone, and every time I look at a new piece of art or something related to him I still get a little sad. But I will always remember him smiling and having fun, since I think that's how he would have liked it.

And since I have no drawing skills I made a very simple collage, and a short video memorial on YouTube. It definitely helped me in making it.

11745827_432424993631823_886597880030271884_n_zpswcwtjlxw.jpg

https://youtu.be/8CX7ULzYXf0?t=6m59s

I'll always remember you Mr. Iwata. :)

orioto

Good Art™
Beautiful work. Also, is the subtlety the light at the top-center of the work? Sorry, I'm not really great at picking up on stuff like this.

Haha that is not super subtle actually, by that i meant i didn't put Iwata in it. It's just its game with a symbolic situation.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this, or even the first to mention it, but I really wish I could somehow convince Nintendo to make a special edition Iwata Amiibo. It would be his Mii in his normal suit, doing the "directly" movement, hands to the sides of his face. I would buy like 3 of them, no joke. I desperately want Nintendo to make this, and produce enough so that anyone who wanted one could get it.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this, or even the first to mention it, but I really wish I could somehow convince Nintendo to make a special edition Iwata Amiibo. It would be his Mii in his normal suit, doing the "directly" movement, hands to the sides of his face. I would buy like 3 of them, no joke. I desperately want Nintendo to make this, and produce enough so that anyone who wanted one could get it.

I'm tempted to make something in ceramics as Tribute, but I want it to be subtle and doable. Can't think of anything at the moment, would welcome feedback

Halabane

Japanese TV show doing a retrospective of Iwatas life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MjjP6YTpMs and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hITp4qBHzTA

Some interesting video of him I had not seen. Which you might find interesting to see. It is all in Japanese, to much to translate. Lot of data on performance of company.

To me it seems like that Universal and Dena partnerships were done because he wanted to get those things started while he was alive. But that is speculation on my part.

alanias

A friend translated the Game Center CX Producer's anecdote.

http://greg.lescoe.net/post/124737390451/game-center-cxs-producer-says-goodbye-to-satoru

Last Friday, I attended the funeral of Nintendo’s corporate president, Satoru Iwata. It was the same day as the Yamahoko float procession of the Gion Matsuri, and a typhoon was passing through at the time as well. I must admit, despite the fact that I was attending a funeral, I did secretly have my 3DS with me.

President Iwata’s various contributions and his charisma have been well covered in various media by this point, so I feel that there’s no real need to write about them here. Instead, I’d like to share a little story about the time that he visited our TV show.

Three years ago, an interview between President Iwata and Arino was arranged for our show, for viewing on the Nintendo eShop. Naturally, being us, we assumed that it would obviously be shot at Nintendo’s corporate headquarters in Kyoto, so we were shocked to find out that he was going to be coming here.

“…What? We don’t even have our own building!”

Our organization, Gascoin Company, was located in a pretty small office at the time (I say as though we’re in a large office now…), and the office was full of the specialized equipment you’d expect to find scattered around a production company — just a hair’s breadth away from a hoarder’s house. The thought that the head of a world-class company would be coming to visit a place that looked like this was enough to cause an uproar throughout our entire staff.

“We’re really going to do this here?”

We checked to make sure time after time, but every time we asked, we were told that President Iwata thought that it would be fine for everything to just be the way it usually is for when he visited. And, on top of that, he wanted us to keep his visit a secret from Arino. He always seemed to be thinking about how he could surprise people and make them happy. In the end, our plan was this: we would rent the entire vacant office downstairs for one day, for him to use as his waiting room.

When the day of the interview came, we put a table and a chair in this big empty office, and the head of Nintendo just waited there, with a great big smile on his face. I still feel bad about that, but it was also a really happy, triumphant moment. My impression of him was one of generosity and refinement, and I still remember his slightly high voice, and the incredibly smart and funny things he said.

At the beginning of his conversation with Arino…

Iwata: “As president and chief…”

Arino: “Even better than Assistant Manager and Chief” [laughs]

The two enjoyed playing Balloon Fight. President Iwata enjoyed seeing Arino’s unsuccessful tries. When he told us about how, if he had the chance, he’d like to make a game by himself one more time, you could really hear the game creator in him talking. I still remember Arino talking after we finished about how, even after almost ten years of making a show about video games, he could still have a great time like this. It was such an incredible encouragement to us, that President Iwata would come visit us at our little company, where we make our little TV show.

Mr. Iwata, I’m so sorry about how we made you wait in that office when you visited. At the same time, though, our whole staff was so happy. It was shortly after your visit that our company moved offices, because we wanted to make sure that the next time you visited, we could have a proper waiting room ready for you. We really wanted you to drop by again to play games with us, and it’s an incredible shame that it’ll never be able to happen. These games that we get the chance to play will be your legacy. Thank you.

Kan Tsuyoshi, producer of Game Center CX.

Chaos17

mainimg.jpg

sbb_de_vol4_15.jpg
iwata-asks-sakurai-v4-sm.jpg
sbb_de_vol2_05.jpg

Sakurai remembers Satoru Iwata

“My mind went white and even now the reality hasn’t sunk in.” wrote Smash Bros. creator Masahiro Sakurai, recalling when he heard the news that Nintendo president Satoru Iwata had passed away.

In his column in this week’s Weekly Famitsu, Sakurai wrote of his impressions of the man. Iwata had been one of the interviewers when Sakurai had applied for a job at his former workplace at HAL Laboratory Inc. Wrote Sakurai, “Our positions and locations changed throughout our long association. He was the best superior I ever had and a man who understood me better than anyone.”

In his column, Sakurai described Iwata in the following five ways:

"He was a man of virtue. Where a normal person would get annoyed or angry, he would never show such emotions and would instead analyze, organize, and offer ideas. He was someone who could bow his head and apologize for things that weren’t his fault. I often worried about his stress levels, but he always talked with a smile.

He had a brilliant mind. Even when people would talk at length or without focus he was able to quickly say, “so, what you’re trying to say is...” and quickly summarize their point. He was able to see to the heart of people and things and was a master of simplifying them so that anyone could understand their point. He could immediately make a call on changes to improve. I have no doubt that many people were saved by this quality.

He was a man of effort. Even though he didn’t start out in the managing field, he read numerous management books, he would ask for advice from the necessary people that he would take to heart, and managed to become the president of Nintendo. What he gained from his years as a programmer allowed him to take many long-term projects to successful fruition.

He was open and generous. Things like his Iwata Asks, and Nintendo Direct weren’t things that necessarily required the president of Nintendo to stand at the front and do. There was always the risk of frivolous criticism. And yet, by being the spokesperson, I believe he showed the importance of properly conveying a message to his audience.

He was empathetic. After he became the president of Nintendo, he would write emails to all employees to communicate and as hard as it was, took a stance to try to treat everyone as equals. He would often ask third parties to see how people were doing. As an individual, he had no self-righteous qualities."

As for his last memories of the Iwata, Sakurai wrote, “It was this past January. I had dinner with Mr. Iwata at a Tokyo hotel and then drove him to Narita International Airport for a business trip to Seattle. He was still very healthy after his surgery and happily said, ‘I’ve recovered enough that I can eat this much meat!’ During the drive, we talked and laughed about many things.”

Sakurai noted that ever since he left Nintendo and struck out on his own, much of his subsequent work for the company had been supported by the mutual respect he shared with Iwata, and now that Iwata was no longer there, he was unsure of what would happen now.

The gaming world lost a great man this month, and gamers and developers are poorer for it.

Source : http://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creato...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

TrueBlue

Poor Sakurai :/

Apologies if this has been shown already:

tumblr_nrevjel09j1uunc0no1_1280.jpg

This picture is in itself a reference to a picture drawn by Disney artists after the passing of Jim Henson:

Mickeykermit.jpg

So over the past week I was still struggling to come to terms with this loss. On Friday I ended up visiting Nintendo World here in NYC to pay respects and write down a message in one of the notebooks the staff set up for such a thing. It was pretty emotional seeing all the flowers and knick knacks and drawings, as was actually writing a message. I took some pics; they aren't the best but the place was packed and I couldn't just hold up the crowd by taking pics all day

I guess the important thing is that even though Mr. Iwata's death is as sudden and tragic as can be, I managed to somehow gain a sense of closure after I left the store. The shock has subsided, and I no longer feel a deep sadness when I reflect upon his passing. Instead I'm filled with a sense of happiness for all the things he's done for the industry, and for all the gamers he's affected in a positive way with his joyous works. I also find myself more excited than ever to see his plans for Nintendo's future come to fruition. I'm sure he would have preferred it this way.

Ōkami

Excuse me for posting a lot of pictures... I have muuuch more...but we had a little thing in Ecuador to honor Mr. Iwata. Strong wind and rain were our enemies but still a lot of people showed up anyway and I felt so proud.

It was amazing that in this little country that many of you may not even know about its existence, has a lot of Nintendo fans that respected and loved Iwata so much.

An asian lady came to take pictures...

and....

omg this ended with a rainbow here as well :)

Greetings from the middle of the world,

And...btw...I'm 31...and I cried until wednesday...this thread has warmed my heart. That video of the Wii U unboxing made me cry rivers...what is the name of that song?

Thank you Iwata.
Really cool, where was this?

As in, you know, what part of Ecuador?

mantidor

A friend translated the Game Center CX Producer's anecdote.

http://greg.lescoe.net/post/124737390451/game-center-cxs-producer-says-goodbye-to-satoru

Last Friday, I attended the funeral of Nintendo’s corporate president, Satoru Iwata. It was the same day as the Yamahoko float procession of the Gion Matsuri, and a typhoon was passing through at the time as well. I must admit, despite the fact that I was attending a funeral, I did secretly have my 3DS with me.

President Iwata’s various contributions and his charisma have been well covered in various media by this point, so I feel that there’s no real need to write about them here. Instead, I’d like to share a little story about the time that he visited our TV show.

Three years ago, an interview between President Iwata and Arino was arranged for our show, for viewing on the Nintendo eShop. Naturally, being us, we assumed that it would obviously be shot at Nintendo’s corporate headquarters in Kyoto, so we were shocked to find out that he was going to be coming here.

“…What? We don’t even have our own building!”

Our organization, Gascoin Company, was located in a pretty small office at the time (I say as though we’re in a large office now…), and the office was full of the specialized equipment you’d expect to find scattered around a production company — just a hair’s breadth away from a hoarder’s house. The thought that the head of a world-class company would be coming to visit a place that looked like this was enough to cause an uproar throughout our entire staff.

“We’re really going to do this here?”

We checked to make sure time after time, but every time we asked, we were told that President Iwata thought that it would be fine for everything to just be the way it usually is for when he visited. And, on top of that, he wanted us to keep his visit a secret from Arino. He always seemed to be thinking about how he could surprise people and make them happy. In the end, our plan was this: we would rent the entire vacant office downstairs for one day, for him to use as his waiting room.

When the day of the interview came, we put a table and a chair in this big empty office, and the head of Nintendo just waited there, with a great big smile on his face. I still feel bad about that, but it was also a really happy, triumphant moment. My impression of him was one of generosity and refinement, and I still remember his slightly high voice, and the incredibly smart and funny things he said.

At the beginning of his conversation with Arino…

Iwata: “As president and chief…”

Arino: “Even better than Assistant Manager and Chief” [laughs]

The two enjoyed playing Balloon Fight. President Iwata enjoyed seeing Arino’s unsuccessful tries. When he told us about how, if he had the chance, he’d like to make a game by himself one more time, you could really hear the game creator in him talking. I still remember Arino talking after we finished about how, even after almost ten years of making a show about video games, he could still have a great time like this. It was such an incredible encouragement to us, that President Iwata would come visit us at our little company, where we make our little TV show.

Mr. Iwata, I’m so sorry about how we made you wait in that office when you visited. At the same time, though, our whole staff was so happy. It was shortly after your visit that our company moved offices, because we wanted to make sure that the next time you visited, we could have a proper waiting room ready for you. We really wanted you to drop by again to play games with us, and it’s an incredible shame that it’ll never be able to happen. These games that we get the chance to play will be your legacy. Thank you.

Kan Tsuyoshi, producer of Game Center CX.

:(

I had missed this one before, I still can't believe it.

bumpkin

Has there been any word on how long the memorial was going to be setup at the Nintendo World Store in NYC?

I'd love to be able to visit and pay my respects, but if I did, it wouldn't be until early August. :(

Kiru

I watched one of this guy's Iwata parodies right after I watched the video. I was expecting something terrible (given that people generally do terrible impressions of a Japanese accent unless they know the language), but I was surprised by his performance. The first few words I thought came straight from Iwata's mouth.

Yeah that video was really good back then. Great parody of directs.

Datschge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom