• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaDL50

That's one way of seeing it...

From what I understand the Rainbow GAF logo was supposed to run for that whole month of July due to the in celebration in passing that law legalizing gay marriage.

Evilore said if the GAF Art team could come up with something they agreed with it would be posted on the site.

However it's been almost 2 months since Iwata's Passing. While the sentiment is nice. I think we are past the point of that. The remembrance of a great man who did awesome things throughout his career at HAL and Nintendo was worthwhile, but there is also a time when mourning needs to end and it's time start to move on.

Keep him in your memory, never forget the things he did, but don't mourn forever.

My Mother also passed away in July of this year, waking up everyday and realizing she's gone isn't easy and something I will have to deal with on my own terms.

horuhe

Satoru Iwata internal meeting about "Design Testing" - Kyoto, June 2004.
CRJUo21WEAE0joI.png:large

HardRojo

Man I was just thinking about Iwata's passing this last weekend after visiting my dad who suffers from cancer. It's still hard to think about how it just happened like that while we thought it was all good after seeing the puppets at E3.

flozuki

Going back and looking at all those pictures in the first post brought back all the emotions I experienced all those days after. I didn't even get much time to mourn for Iwata as a month later my grandmother got in a car accident and died. Life has felt very fragile for me since then, the world a darker place. However, playing Super Mario Maker has brought some happiness back. It reminds me of what Iwata wanted. Games to be fun. That is the gift he left for us.

From what I understand the Rainbow GAF logo was supposed to run for that whole month of July due to the in celebration in passing that law legalizing gay marriage.

Evilore said if the GAF Art team could come up with something they agreed with it would be posted on the site.

However it's been almost 2 months since Iwata's Passing. While the sentiment is nice. I think we are past the point of that. The remembrance of a great man who did awesome things throughout his career at HAL and Nintendo was worthwhile, but there is also a time when mourning needs to end and it's time start to move on.

Keep him in your memory, never forget the things he did, but don't mourn forever.

My Mother also passed away in July of this year, waking up everyday and realizing she's gone isn't easy and something I will have to deal with on my own terms.

My condolences :(

kyoya

Cool picture! Anyone see this on Gamasutra last week?:

Link: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._recalls_the_early_career_of_Satoru_Iwata.php

The first Nintendo Famicom game that Iwata would produce was not a Nintendo property, but an arcade game Atari had licensed from Williams Electronics: Joust. At that time, Atari had already acquired a license for Joust from Williams Electronics, releasing it for the Atari 2600, 5200, and even the Apple II and PC under its Atarisoft label.

According to an Atari inter-office memo with terms of the deal disclosed dated June 14th, 1983 (One month before the Famicom would be released in Japan), Atari could order Nintendo to program four Atari games of their choice for their own Famicom release:

Nintendo will, in the interests of expediency for this Christmas season, program 4 Atari titles of our choice. Source and object code which meets our satisfaction (with respect to basic design, tuning, and bug-free) to be delivered to us no later than Sept. 1, 1983. The fee would be $100,000 / title or no non-recurring engineering fees would be charged as long as we buy a minimum of 100,000 cartridges.

Iwata confirmed his work on the game in an interview with a now-defunct Japanese magazine called Used Games. “I went to Nintendo and asked if I could make a Famicom game, then produced Joust over about 2 months,” he told the enthusiast magazine in 1999.

Ooccoo

Can't imagine what it will be like when Miyamoto leaves us. I mean, Iwata was big but the creator of Mario...I don't want to think about it. Hopefully Miyaomoto delivers many more game experiences in the coming years (though retirement seems likely sooner than later).

I am sorry for your loss bro.

Man seeing this bumped again and reading the first page hits me right in the heart :(

To this day the "you want a revolution? Well we've got one!! *pulls out wii*" is like the most hype thing ever

R.I.P. Mr. Iwata

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
In the middle of watching, just finished Part 1 of it (about 9 minutes in), but it's a wonderful and informational video thus far.

Compsiox

Banned
I've always cared about Iwata dearly but after hearing such an in depth summary of his life story, I'm amazed at how amazing he was. I care about him more than ever before.

Davilmar

Gaming Historian just uploaded a video on the life of Iwata

https://youtu.be/k4cJh2YgrKE

It's 37mins long. I'm only 10 mins in so far but it's great. Norman's video uploads are less frequent these days, but the quality per video seems to be way way up.

Phenomenal video. Better than the one by SuperBunnyHop, and that was a good video. Learned many new things about Iwata. I didn't quite get teary-eyed, but I certainly god sad at the end. RIP Iwata-san.

Every time this thread is bumped, my heart sinks like it's the first time. Thanks for the video, I'll check it out later when I think my heart can handle it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Finished watching the video. Definitely worth watching, I learned quite a few things I didn't know about him before. Some I had heard about somewhat before, but hearing his comprehensive life story really does paint how amazing and hard-working a person he was.

It's still somewhat soul-crunching for me the date he passed away is the same as my birthday.

Awesome video. What a big loss it is for all of us, no matter the games or systems we enjoy the most :'(

Still hard to believe Iwata's gone... but last direct was awesome, Iwata's legacy is kept alive and that's a good thing.

Note: mind blown when I've learned that the same code created by Iwata for tracking position in Ballon Fight was used in the water levels of Super Mario Bros.

Grylvak

That was such an amazing video. I learned so much about Iwata that I didn't know before. It puts a whole new light on the man for me.

Garlador

tumblr_mcq6lrOTiB1qfc4s9.gif

Still stings. Probably will for some time to come.

And I was playing Earthbound when he passed... And I FINISHED Earthbound in memory of him.

Dremark

Banned
I'd say this video alone deserves its own thread. What does GAF think?

I was planning on making one when he posted the video, assuming it was at the standard I expect from him (I'm about to watch it). You can go ahead and make it if you like and someone hasn't already though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom