• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Some will say he was a wonderful programmer, who did coding sorcery to get games like Pokemon Gold and Silver onto cartridges that had no business fitting.

Some will say he was a jovial personable man who humanized the often fitful, draconian realm of the video game boardroom.

But I will remember him as the man who ate big pay cuts to keep his staff employed and occupied where other CEOs would throw their people under buses or flee and have someone else desperate to appease shareholders do it instead.

And for that, he will be missed deeply.

Great post. Even though I've been vocal in the past about where he's lead Nintendo during the last couple of years, I've always believed he was still an awesome person. You'd be hard pressed to find a more charming dude in the video game industry. What kind of CEO of a multi-billion dollar company is doing stuff like this:

rfrhu8p.gif

Or Nintendo Directs? Iwata Asks? And as you mentioned, cutting his pay in half after his company has a bad year?

He seemed like a really great, genuine guy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Just woke up from this.

Feels bad man. RIP Mr. Iwata :(

and holy crap that /v/ tribute music, it just hurts the heart when they played Eight Melodies :(

j.rob

Due to his health, I doubt this would be the case...

But next Nintendo Direct gets announced and streamed soon. Iwata pops up like he always would, welcomes us with his "directly to you" quote and then passes over to reggie or something 10 minutes in as if nothing happened...

It turns out he was part way through recording this direct before he passed, and Reggie gives a tribute.

I dunno what I would do man. That would so get me.

Bashtee

Just woke up and saw all the Iwata condolences. Rest in peace.

His last few public appearances did remind me a bit of Steve Jobs. Crazy, still a bit unbelieveable.

Mael

Damn,
it's literally the only CEO I know off that I actually respected and was interested in how he handled his work.
I mean the guy was far from perfect (as we pretty much all are) but he did try to do his best with the hands he was dealt with and tried to do his job in the best way for his partners.
Unlike the last transition I feel like there's no one to take the head and follow through with the correct vision.
There was so much I wanted to see him do.
It's a huge loss, even more so than when Yamauchi left or passed away.

RIP.
He had a great career and I am sure he had a great life too.
I really hoped it was a joke :(

Shit, I had no idea it was that serious. I really loved his passion and direct communication to both developers and consumers. What a huge loss to the industry.

RIP.

God damn. I really admired Iwata. I loved all of his games, even Balloon Fight. One of the few games I imported for my DS was Tingle's Balloon Fight. I also really loved what had happened with Nintendo with the Wii / DS and on.

He was so young too. This is truly a sad day.

emb

I can't believe it. :(

I loved a lot of his games, and the direction he brought to his company (regardless of what detractors say). He'll be sorely missed.

I really thought he was getting better too... this is shocking, and I feel surprisingly distraught. Rest in peace Iwata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom