• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychBat!

Banned
zD8cKJV.jpg

803742622.jpg

Man....

I know this is probably silly and dumb but I just feel... profoundly horrible. Nintendo is very important to me as a games maker and Iwata just... embodied what I always thought games were about.

I cried. It's crazy I guess, but I wept. Jesus.

Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata. You were an incredible person.

Nintendo as a whole has suffered a horrible loss.

This man arguably shaped me into the person I am through his work more than members of my own family did. Such a loss and am so sad for his family and colleagues. His legacy will live on for sure. Rest In Peace Mr. Iwata and thank you.

KageMaru

I'm still speechless, I've had my criticism of Nintendo but always respected Iwata for how he walked his own path. Could someone add the ribbon to my avatar or should I make the request in the avatar thread? :'(

Apart from his programming skills and business successes (and failures), Iwata was as likable a public face for a major gaming manufacturer/publisher/developer as you could ask for. Losing him at a relatively young age makes me all the more grateful he took the time for Iwata Asks, which will be good reading for hobbyists as long as people are interested in this period in gaming.

TriGen

Very sad news. I actually was in the middle of playing a game when my brother called to tell me this -- and I immediately had to stop.

RIP. I wish his family, friends and colleagues at Nintendo all the best.

RIP Iwata-san.
I can't thank you enough for making videogames ok in my parents' eyes through the Wii.
That opened their minds that videogames are fun for everyone and not a waste of time and money.

Three

sAmc5z.png

Most shocking and sad news in the games industry. We've lost a great person. Does anybody have an avatar which is just the ribbon, I want to use it.

stolin

This is very sad. Satoru Iwata was both a true pioneer & visionary. He truly loved videogames. I was lucky enough to meet him twice very shortly about 10 years ago.

I will miss his smile, voice & hair flip. I sure hope that his vision will continue to inspire & live on with the new crop of creators @ Nintendo. RIP Iwata-San.

1337998530128006799.gif

Nerokis

What an utterly unique man as an industry executive. Out of all of the big players, the EAs and Activisions and Microsofts and Square Enixes, Iwata was the man at the top of a titan that most genuinely cared not just about games, and not just about playing games, but about making games. Its not just that he came from a programming background. He was in the business of making games because he genuinely loved the work his company did. That's not something you often get at the very top of the company.

Yep. Someone with a deep background as a gamer, an artist, a programmer, and a businessman. Someone who had such a genuine passion for both Nintendo and gaming as a whole. Someone who exemplified leadership qualities and character. Someone who managed to be such a positive spokesperson for his company.

Iwata made his share of mistakes, and I'm sure he felt he had a lot of unfinished work before he passed. But thanks to his accomplishments, Nintendo rose above a couple stagnant generations, and developed the buffer to survive the rough waters it now finds itself in. The Wii U/3DS generation is a low point in significant ways, but it's also been amazing to watch Nintendo adapt to its new, troubled position. Throughout, Iwata projected calm and optimism, and lead Nintendo's efforts to make the best of a bad situation while maintaining its identity. It's resulted in a surprisingly robust first party lineup, the rise of Amiibo, some of the most innovative marketing shifts among game publishers, no shortage of excitement for Nintendo's core fanbase, and proof that profitability was still possible in this new context.

He was an amazing man. Such a unique leader. Probably one of the best who has ever graced the gaming industry.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Judging by the press release in the OP, it looks like Genyo Takeda is now president of Nintendo. I don't know anything about him, though.

[edit] From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genyo_Takeda

It doesn't say that in the press release at all.

All it says is that Takeda and Miyamoto are still Senior Managing Directors and Representative Directors.

Either way, this isn't the time nor the place.

Akhe

Man, both my wife and me are still in a state of shock and cannot believe it.

This news fucked up my week. Seriously.

R.I.P Iwata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom