• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Etzer

zD8cKJV.jpg

803742622.jpg

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
RIP Iwata. Put smiles on millions of people across the globe. A feat very few men ever accomplish.

With that said, Any idea on the fallout?

Iwata always pushed for their properties to remain on nintendo controlled platforms. The board eventually pressured him into the Dena deal. Iwata also ushered in the blue ocean hardware strategy of not competing via specs but with innovation thus making the Wii the highest selling nintendo platform.

Dont even know what direction Nintendo will go from here

Judging by the press release in the OP, it looks like Genyo Takeda is now president of Nintendo. I don't know anything about him, though.

[edit] From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genyo_Takeda

He joined Nintendo in 1972, and was promoted to his current position when the integrated research division was founded in 1981. He mostly works on improving hardware for home consoles and handhelds, but sometimes develops video games. In software development, he is notable for creating the Punch-Out!! and StarTropics franchises. He also created Nintendo's first arcade game, EVR Race, in 1975.

Pachinko

This really came out of nowhere, I was worried it was going to happen last year reading about his apparent illness , maybe I'm just cynical but whenever I hear about a public face taking time away from the public because of health reasons I immediately think it's cancer and that it's not going to work out. It happened with Steve Jobs , it happened in Canadian federal politics with Jack Layton (head of the official opposition for about a month before cancer rapidly took him down).

Cancer sucks. It makes it worse that Iwata finally started showing up again in videos and interviews , a little worse for the wear (he lost a ton of weight) but seemingly on the mend so this happening now ? it's like a punch to the gut.

May he rest in peace.

What a tragedy, the signs were all there, but still it feels so sudden. I always respected and admired him because he knew personally what it meant to create quality video games. He will truly me missed.

Gameboy415

I'm shocked...this is such heartbreaking news. :(
He was such a charismatic leader and seemed like such a genuinely awesome person.

RIP Iwata-san and thank you for all of your amazing contributions to Nintendo and gaming!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Will always love and respect Nintendo and this is just sad, period.

R.I.P. Satoru Iwata

I remember reading something about him being sick, but this is still unexpected, I mean we just had E3 he had some presence there and now he is dead, sad day for gamers

Nairume

Banned
Man, it's still sinking in. The next NinDir just won't be the same :(

Guess I should join in on the ribbon thing. Anybody willing to do an iwata ribbon edit for my avatar :(

TomShoe

Banned
The GAF logo should be changed to a pic of Iwata in his "banana" pose holding the GAF logo and staring at it.

Would be so cash money

That's way too soon for a family to lose a father. RIP.

Way too soon. I mean, my dad turned 53 the other day, and my mum 52 the week before, so not much younger than Iwata as and I can't even imagine losing either of them. I'm pretty vocal about my criticisms of Nintendo on GAF despite being a huge fan of their games - but I feel so bad.

roknin

I'm still coming to grips with it. Just doesn't seem real.

Even though I know it is.

Been on Twitter all day just reading, and tweeting and retweeting all the love and praise. Just... wow.

55? Damn.

RIP Iwata.

PS: Fuck Cancer.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Guess nobody saw it when I last asked, so trying again to get somebody to help me ribbofy my avatar to show respect to the legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom