• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

I don't even know what to say. I've played games he's worked on my entire life. Nothing I can say can convey how much I appreciate everything he's done. He brought joy to so many.

IejbI0a.jpg

Fantastic art. Also, count me in on updating the GAF banner.

I...I don't understand. :(

But I don't wanna be rude by asking this, but in all seriousness, what is the protocol for this? Is there anyone who was chosen to stand in for Iwata in case this happened since I imagine Nintendo probably felt this might be coming, until they can officially decide a new President? Who is the most likely person?
There should probably be seperate thread for this kind of talk but apparently miyamoto and takeda are joint presidency right now until they find a successor.

But I don't wanna be rude by asking this, but in all seriousness, what is the protocol for this? Is there anyone who was chosen to stand in for Iwata in case this happened since I imagine Nintendo probably felt this might be coming, until they can officially decide a new President? Who is the most likely person?

The board will probably choose an interim CEO as they seek out potential candidates. It's possible that they already picked out one in advance, but it would have leaked somewhere.

Pikma

Banned
Iwata was one of the true visionaries of the industry. Many may not have agreed with his vision. Others may just not have understood it. But it's sad to see that vision gone forever
It is not gone forever, if there's something he left here with us is that vision, and that vision can still be accomplished.

tanooki27

one of the very dim points of solace here is that Iwata was a man who planned meticulously. his succession, the company's short to mid to long term strategies, potential responses to little-forseen changes in technological culture - Iwata's likely been planning for months, perhaps years. the man yamauchi chose as his successor will have taken every step to ensure, at least for the time being, continued excellence from nintendo.

SSReborn

Can I get a ribbon put on my avatar as well please and possibly an inbox link? I really want one but I'm afraid I might miss it due to me leaving for work and with how fast the thread is moving. Thanks greatly if anyone does this.

Don't mean to be disparaging in any way, but it will be interesting to hear some of the more behind-scenes stories that emerge after Iwata's death. Already some interesting facets about his immense influence and courageous decisions at the executive level are coming out...

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
No matter what criticisms people had, Iwata was one of the few execs in the industry that represented us. He wasn't just a businessman, he was a developer and gamer first.

RIP.

AaronMT86

Protocol is the same for any other company out there, the board interviews candidates until they find the right person

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I liked Balloon Fight, Earthbound, Pokémon G/S, SSBM an prolly a buncha other games he was involved with! Plus the Iwata Asks were nice reads even for games I wasn't interested in. Here's ta hoping he'll have lotsa fun gaming in the afterlife~

Haines

Banned
The shock has finally passed and I'm left with a hole.

Going to be rough as a Nintendo fan for a while.

I'm.just glad to see the man clearly lived his last days doing what he loved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom