• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJoRu

I'm actually crying. I never met the guy, but through the games he and all of Nintendo have made you grow attached to the people behind them. His presentations, whether it was on a live stage or on a Nintendo Direct were infectiously charming, as the company under his leadership in general always was. His presence will be sorely missed. RIP.

I'm talking about the moral side of his death. It's (morally) inappropriate and insensitive to discuss corporate politics while a lot of users grieve. As mentioned before: there will be threads in the upcoming days but we should have the decency to keep this topic out of here as they tend to derail.

I understand the reason to be wary of this kind of discussion, but the people who are bringing it up aren't dismissing Iwata's value or thinking beyond him. I can't speak for anyone else, but pragmatism is (in part) a coping mechanism for me, haha.

Codex5050

588VXjs.gif
Some poor quick render I just whipped up. I heard around 7:50 ish EST, before any articles went live thanks to twitter reactions to the official nintendo message. Was Devastated for 2 hours after that.

Mendrox

Has Nintendo said anything publicly yet other than the few tweets about not posting on social media today?

No and they surely won't. Nintendo will work like a beast today - for Iwata. I can only imagine that his spirit fulfills all these youngsters and the people that worked even closer with him will feel a different responsibilty and do their best.

The 55-year-old’s rapid demise reflects the poor prognosis for patients with this relatively rare form of cancer. The malignancy is usually aggressive, spreads quickly to other parts of the body, and lacks treatment options, according to the International Agency for Research on Cancer in Lyon, France.

Tumors that originate in the bile ducts -- tubes that drain bile from the liver into the small intestine -- are difficult to treat. The odds of survival depend on their location and how advanced they are when they are found, said Thomas J. Hugh, head of upper gastrointestinal surgery at Sydney’s Royal North Shore Hospital.

“The only thing that will give you a chance of being cured is to remove it with a clear margin,” Hugh said in a telephone interview Monday. “Any chemotherapy we give may slow it down, but it won’t cure it. Resection is the best hope.”

Patients whose tumor is caught early and in bile ducts within the liver have a 15 percent chance of surviving the disease for at least five years, according to the American Society of Clinical Oncology. If the cancer has spread to the regional lymph nodes, the survival rate is 6 percent and drops to 2 percent if the cancer has spread to a distant part of the body.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...t-s-death-highlights-risk-of-rare-cancer-type

Wow, it was always bad. :(

vareon

Now that I'm home the feeling has really sunk in.

The man is simply irreplaceable. I mean, who else can interview Nintendo's developer as their president, yet savvy enough to discuss it on very technical terms?

No and they surely won't. Nintendo will work like a beast today - for Iwata. I can only imagine that his spirit fulfills all these youngsters and the people that worked even closer with him will feel a different responsibilty and do their best.

I hope they at least update the home pages of their websites today. :(

@MUWANdo

Banned
I kind of find the balloon fight references to be the wrong crowning achievement for Iwata. It was him helping port the arcade version of balloon fight from another programmer to the NES.

Programming Kirby or Mother 2 seems more appropriate. Or his ideas at the top of his presidency.

Balloon Trip was all his, and he certainly seemed to like putting the spotlight on Balloon Fight wherever possible, so I don't think it's inappropriate.

Business

In seeking to make a bit cleaner version of a tribute NeoGAF logo, and in respect of the amazing painting by phileep, I put this together:

IN0b.png

Changed the GAF colors to something reminiscent of HAL Laboratory's logo.

Individual images:

JN0b.png

KN0b.png

They're the same dimensions as the current pride logo.

I really hope neogaf makes good use of these.

Terrell

Has Nintendo said anything publicly yet other than the few tweets about not posting on social media today?

There was a brief statement made on the Japanese Nintendo website. I don't expect we'll get much more of an official response on the matter, aside from personal condolences from his colleagues.
Anything said or done beyond this by Nintendo as a corporate entity will likely be only with the consent of his widow.

Reading the tributes on Twitter, I lost it at this:

wSsaBVh.png
Yeah, me too. And I don't even know why exactly.
It does have something to do with this coming from the PlayStation twitter feed, but I seriously cannot point out the exact reason why this specific tweet from this specific company would make me tear up as much as it did.

There was a brief statement made on the Japanese Nintendo website. I don't expect we'll get much more of an official response on the matter, aside from personal condolences from his colleagues.
Anything said or done beyond this by Nintendo as a corporate entity will likely be only with the consent of his widow.

Can you link to that statement please (if it's not that one line PDF).

RIP Mr Iwata.

You have given me so memories in my childhood.

Your games will forever be in my heart.

Can I also have a ribbon on my avatar? I want to wear it as a memento.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This is going to give the NX reveal such a surreal vibe.

Koozek

Just woke up to this, can't believe what I'm reading. This is absolutely devastating and so sudden. Speechless right now.

R.I.P.

Feep

Banned
Yeah, me too. And I don't even know why exactly.
It does have something to do with this coming from the PlayStation twitter feed, but I seriously cannot point out the exact reason why this specific tweet from this specific company would make me tear up as much as it did.
It's because Iwata's impact and legacy go beyond his company...it goes into all of gaming as a whole. Playstation, Xbox, every corner of our industry was touched by his hand. Everyone who plays games has been affected by him, no matter their particular hardware of choice.

YomommaZ

Rest your soul Mr. Iwata.

This was so sudden. I thought he was getting better...

OP if you find time you could update the first post with tweets from gaming world people and others.

specdot

Was not expecting to wake up to this kind of news. I'm at a loss for words.
What now? Who takes over from here? What does Nintendo do?
R.I.P. In peace Iwata-san.

RiggyRob

I asked this last night but I had to go to sleep, so apologies if I've missed anyone responding already, but I'd greatly appreciate having a Super Mario font Iwata ribbon on my avatar (on the epaulette, where the Omega Ruby currently is):

ywo0Isv.png

It just seems so strange that he's gone, it doesn't feel right.

Oddduck

In seeking to make a bit cleaner version of a tribute NeoGAF logo, and in respect of the amazing painting by phileep, I put this together:

IN0b.png

Changed the GAF colors to something reminiscent of HAL Laboratory's logo.

Individual images:

JN0b.png

KN0b.png

They're the same dimensions as the current pride logo.

These are great. I hope NeoGaf will use them.

Seik

Banned
It's because Iwata's impact and legacy go beyond his company...it goes into all of gaming as a whole. Playstation, Xbox, every corner of our industry was touched by his hand. Everyone who plays games has been affected by him, no matter their particular hardware of choice.

Yep, he's been responsible for so many people's inspirations since he's been in the industry since so long.

I still can't wrap my head around this news. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom