• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
man, what an inspiration. Hopefully the best parts of legacy in regards to his personality and his integrity will never be left behind at nintendo

This video Made me cry. I have been trough a lot lately with some personAL medical problems in the family and this video just shows that we can die at anytime. Let's enjoy every minute we have with our family and friends. Rip iwata

NolbertoS

Great video whoever posted, I cried abit knowing that we're all mortal and destined to leave this earth. I guess we should all be aware of when the time comes and enjoy life as much as possible. Satoru Iwara definitely enjoyed life to the fullest with his family, career and guiding Nintendo into uncharted territory. I hope the Big N stays for another 100 years and brings more happy memories to all.

Kevinroc

What a moving tribute video. It really brought back how shocking and surprising Iwata's death was. He seemed like he was recovering and was in high spirits and then he was gone...

mapet318

Banned
Gaming Historian's videos are always fantastic. This one is no exception. The end hit me just as hard as when I first heard the news.

I really hope Nintendo manages to continue their brand of quirkiness and cleverness that we first saw with Iwata in charge. Iwata Asks, Nintendo Directs, and a lot of other little things made Nintendo feel connected to its fans on a more personal level. I think that's why Iwata's passing affected a lot of us more than would be expected.

I don't think it'll ever stop hurting.

Which is good, I think; it reminds us that we lost something, and that we have something to live up to.

Granted, for me feeling like I can never quite measure up to the example Iwata set is its own problem... but there's still some level on which that's a good problem to have.

That was an excellent video. Heck, I think I need to watch some of his other vids now. Thanks for the link.

I was planning on making one when he posted the video, assuming it was at the standard I expect from him (I'm about to watch it). You can go ahead and make it if you like and someone hasn't already though.
Anybody did a thread about this short film documentary yet today?

GhaleonQ

Sorry for bringing this topic up. Some more Iwata photos. Thanks to Nintendo Memories!

I'm writing my year-end lists, and his death just hangs over the whole thing. Developers who have made games I like more have died, too, and prematurely, but never before has someone of Iwata's impact gone away.

It's odd that I won't associate 2015 with a soundtrack, game, or system, but a death.

Thanks for the uploads.

plufim

I KNOW I am going to lose it when the credits on Zelda WiiU roll and his name comes up.

I've said it before, but there's a big chance that in the credits there's a screen dedicating the game to Iwata AND Robin Williams.

Just posting one of my favorite pictures of Iwata

He was such a nice man. I hope that Nintendo will honor him by releasing some amazing games on NX next year.

Amazing quote by mr. Iwata by the way ..
Our competitors are always saying that Nintendo is just for children. To counter that, what we really need to do is explain to customers and potential customers [that we do not just make games for kids]

And that's still so true and so hard to accomplish. Even most kids nowadays think Nintendo is childish. As far as I'm concerned...everyone who ignores Nintendo, is really, really missing out. When I look at my own kids and the kids in our family...all they are interested in are FIFA, COD, and games on their phones. Quite depressing tbh.

Edit: about 10 minutes in the documentary....amazing stuff! Thanks for posting!

HUELEN10

For those not I the know, To night at The Game Awards, Mr. Fils-Aimé spoke of our fallen friend, and the type of person he was.

When it is uploaded after the show, please watch it. He and Mr. Keighley both made me cry.

Our friend will never be forgotten.

people here were horrible too

Yeah, from what I saw on Twitch, it was a lot of crying faces and "F"s. There were probably a few insensitive people, but thankfully they scrolled by pretty quickly. Here it was a lot worse from what I could tell.

I loved Reggie's speech, by the way. At first I was a little like, "Hmm, sales talk?" But watching it again, it's not so much Reggie gloating as it is pointing out the incredible foresight of this man. To help pioneer three systems that would put smiles on the faces of over 100 million people... Satoru Iwata was a legend, and will never be forgotten. Highlight of the show for me.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Exactly. I don't get how people don't understand this. It's not sales talk.... It's that in the almost 40 year history of home video game consoles across dozens of devices, only 5 have ever accomplished this historical feat, and Iwata directly brought forth two of them and had a large hand (at HAL) in the third one. Not only is it amazing that he brought about three of them, but that almost no one else can even say they were responsible for just one system doing it.

Great speech by Reggie. Clearly he is highlighting the man's many talents and accomplishments. Puzzling to see that not everyone can comprehend that. Still bummed about no Iwata in the latest Direct :(

A very nice tribute. Dude was an absolute legend.

I'd like to say I'm surprised by people being assholes about it in the Game Awards thread, but sadly... yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom