• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia wants to Head the UN Human Rights Council

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, which according to activist groups has one of the highest human rights violation record, has sparked major outrage after it emerged that the oil-rich nation is lobbying for the post of President of the United Nations (UN) Human Rights Council.

The rights groups have opposed the move stating that electing Saudi Arabia would be the "final nail in the coffin for the credibility" of the UNHRC -- an inter-governmental organisation tasked with the responsibility of promoting and protecting human rights around the globe

Germany currently holds the presidency, but next year the position will be open.
Hillel Neuer, executive director of the Geneva-based UN Watch, a non-governmental human rights group in a statement criticised the move and said that it would be "the final nail in the coffin for the credibility of a body that already counts dictatorships like China, Cuba and Russia as members, and whose top adviser is co-founder of the Muammar Gaddafi Human Rights Prize".

"Electing Saudi Arabia as the world's judge on human rights would be like making a pyromaniac as the town fire chief," The Independent reported quoting Neuer.
As of now, 85 people in total have been beheaded in Saudi Arabia. In 2014, 88 people were executed.

In recent months, the country was widely criticised for sentencing blogger Raid Badawi to 10 years in prison with 1,000 lashes for publishing essays that criticised the government

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/saudi-arabia-wants-head-un-human-rights-council-sparks-uproar-633337

lmao

Link

The Autumn Wind
ANNcsDx.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
One of the few times I would approve of the Jennifer Lawrence "Ok ok" gif. That is basically what I did when I read this story.

massoluk

Banned
So what? their membership at one point or another already included Human Right leaders like China, Qatar and Russia

"final nail in the coffin for the credibility" pfft.

mantidor

So what? their membership at one point or another already included Human Right leaders like China, Qatar and Russia

"final nail in the coffin for the credibility" pfft.

Membership is one thing but wanting to be the actual head of the organization? The world has truly become an Onion article.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Saudi Arabia wants to Behead the UN Human Rights Council

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is bs! Raid Badawi wasn't sentenced to 10,000 lashes for criticizing the Saudi government, it was for insulting Islam. So as you can see, there is no problem with the Saudi government.

Hjod

Banned
Eh, how about no? How the hell can they even be members? Are they members? Or can anyone lobby for leadership or just members?

That council is fucked either way, China, Russia, Israel members of a human rights council.

I'm trying to think of any country that would be perfect for heading up the council, any country without dirty laundry out there?

Reading the wiki article, it seems that the worst violators are consistently nominated so that some of the moderate violators (Russia, China, Cuba) can say their shit don't stink.

Syria and the Sudan had recently failed bids ffs.

Quixzlizx

Eh, how about no? How the hell can they even be members? Are they members? Or can anyone lobby for leadership or just members?

That council is fucked either way, China, Russia, Israel members of a human rights council.

I'm trying to think of any country that would be perfect for heading up the council, any country without dirty laundry out there?

Israel has never been a member. Saudi Arabia, Qatar, China, Russia, and Congo are.

spekkeh

Banned
Well maybe they can finally push ethics in games journalism on the agenda.

But it will just be lots of islamophobia resolutions and curtailing lgbt rights again, like the last time Muslim countries had the majority in the UNHRC.

They should just link voting rights to standings in ngo corruption and human rights lists. Are you part of the bottom fifty then you have no say, bye bye.

Village

Ok i read that wrong, like they wanted to a head a hypothetical Unhuman right council, like some legion of doom type shit

CTLance

It's all kinds of stupid that they think they are qualified for this, but we've had all kinds of dipshits running that council before. So whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom