• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saving Private Ryan's Omaha Beach scene hasn't been rivaled by any war movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChryZ

The beach landing is especially amazing on a proper surround sound setup, show piece and awesomeness reference material.

Easily one of my favorite films of all time. I was able to watch this in the theater and what an incredible experience it was - terrifying, moving and cathartic. I don't think I've ever seen so many grown men cry coming out of a theater. And what a piece to start the film off with. The film was really full of these wonderful moments.

Also, Hymn to the Fallen is one of John Williams underappreciated pieces.

Subitai

Also put me down for Master and Commander, Kingdom of Heaven, and Fury.

I'd also add the 2002 Four Feathers depicting the Battle of Abu Klea really stuck with me even though from what I understand it was historically inaccurate outcome wise.

fourfeathers02.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjxZKncH81U

I never liked the shaking camera style. Sometimes the camera would be rattling and inhibiting my view of things even when characters were just walking around talking.

..and wasn't there any better way of being the first boat than just opening the door and getting shot? was that basically just suicide and they knew it?

also the bullets traveling through the water and killing people is not accurate. bullets don't travel through water. not even high cal.

Some do. I think Mythbusters tested it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I never liked the shaking camera style. Sometimes the camera would be rattling and inhibiting my view of things even when characters were just walking around talking.

..and wasn't there any better way of being the first boat than just opening the door and getting shot? was that basically just suicide and they knew it?

also the bullets traveling through the water and killing people is not accurate. bullets don't travel through water. not even high cal.

A movie is allowed to take freedom.

Seems like an odd thing to nitpick.

Some do. I think Mythbusters tested it.

Subsonic rounds can go through water, so some handguns and the like can do it. German machine guns were generally chambered for the same ammunition as their infantry rifles.

Regardless, I think that if we're at the point where we're criticizing them for inaccurately depicting the lethality of a few bullets in deeper water, that's a sign that there's not much to criticize.

A couple points

1. Allies expected the naval bombardment to take out beach defenses, some places it and in most places it did not. Sections of Omaha beach were an easy landing and others were as brutal as in SPR. 1st boats had no idea what they were getting in to.

2. Underwater tank traps also kept the landing craft from getting to the shore line.

3. Landing craft needed to get back to the fleet to ferry more troops and drivers were were told to make it as fast as possible to deploy and return. Most effective way was that.

I'll be honest. That scene from SPR does not hold up today. Every time I watch it and the camera cuts to the behind-the-should shot of the German firing the MG-42 there's like only 20 actors on the beach. It just completely takes me out of the moment because this is the largest naval invasion involving 100,000+ troops. And they use the cut so often it just looks comical imo.

strafer

I'll be honest. That scene from SPR does not hold up today. Every time I watch it and the camera cuts to the behind-the-should shot of the German firing the MG-42 there's like only 20 actors on the beach. It just completely takes me out of the moment because this is the largest naval invasion involving 100,000+ troops. And they use the cut so often it just looks comical imo.

maybe because most of them are laying dead on the beach?

Hey guys, kinda on this subject is Flags of our Fathers any good? I got it for one euro and I love war movies. (Got Letters from Iwo Jima too but I've heard that's very good)

Apocalypse Now's beach scene is the best scene I've ever seen in my life.

A perfect scene. Duvalls performance paired with the practical effects and everything going off was just incredible.

The captain's final command:

"Earn this."

I mean, God damn, if you're not feeling that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Hey guys, kinda on this subject is Flags of our Fathers any good? I got it for one euro and I love war movies. (Got Letters from Iwo Jima too but I've heard that's very good)

I didn't care much for Flags but Letters was very good, although not the masterpiece I had anticipated at the time. (and due for a rewatch)

terrible

Banned
The Thin Red Line has the most tense battle sequence I've probably ever seen in a war film. Everything from the build up to the actual battle was pretty much perfect. The beach scene in Saving Private Ryan is visceral and shocking but it's not the complete package like The Thin Red Line's hill battle. The Thin Red Line is overall a better film by a fair margin too imo.

PTrBjbs.gif

User1608

Banned
Amazing movie and so visceral...I watched it again recently and it made me just as nauseous and emotional as the first time I experienced it.

The opening definitely gave me the horrifying realization many years ago WWII (and war in general) was a horrifying, gory, nightmarish conflict, and that real people with their own lives, families died just like that, in the blink of an eye in a mess of blood, guts and limbs.

Figgles

Letters from Iwo Jima is outstanding. Flags of our Fathers is just alright.

y2dvd

I saw Fury after reading this thread. Thought there'd be a lot more big tank battles. Not bad though.

I loved the battle scenes in Fury but the colors in the tank shots were kinda cartoony, unless that's really how the light up irl. That would be pretty amazing.

Dai101

Banned
The opening definitely gave me the horrifying realization many years ago WWII (and war in general) was a horrifying, gory, nightmarish conflict, and that real people with their own lives, families died just like that, in the blink of an eye in a mess of blood, guts and limbs.

You should watch (if you haven't already, that is) Band Of Brothers. Is like that gut punch 10000 times.

Llyranor

I saw Fury after reading this thread. Thought there'd be a lot more big tank battles. Not bad though.
Fun fact: the Tiger in the movie is the only still-functional Tiger tank in the world, borrowed from the Bovington Tank Museum in England.

I know this isn't the gaming section but that scene really reminded me of Killzone 2's E3 05 trailer. "just give us a chance you son of a bitch" is even said in both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAb2rP9Wp-U

I've only now just realized this but the reason I was so enamored with that trailer is because it totally gave off that saving private ryan vibe.

Heysoos

Yeah, still loved the movie, was just hoping for something like Battlefield 3 Thunder Run mission. At least in scope of tank battles.

Odrion

Banned
So I watched Saving Private Ryan way back and walked from it liking it a bit but felt like something was off about it. And recently watching it again I think I know what bothered me.

The film tries to realistically portray the chaos of war, but then also tries to inject very uh... moments of cosmic irony that feels too authored and fictional? Like you have the beach scene and see that surviving that hellhole was 90% luck. All of the hundreds of bullets fired at Tom Hank's direction only needed to be a couple inches closer to him and the story wouldn't have been about him. Because that's what it was like, war is chaos. That feels like a realistic portrayal of war.

But then the guy Hanks lets go in the middle of the film ends up reappearing to fatally wound him at the end, and it's like really Spielberg? Really?

and those two elements clash at each other in a way I don't really like. and I guess I like Band of Brothers more because the story doesn't feel fictionally authored.

Macleoid

The Thin Red Line has the most tense battle sequence I've probably ever seen in a war film. Everything from the build up to the actual battle was pretty much perfect. The beach scene in Saving Private Ryan is visceral and shocking but it's not the complete package like The Thin Red Line's hill battle. The Thin Red Line is overall a better film by a fair margin too imo.

PTrBjbs.gif

I literally clicked in here to say the grass in 'The Thin Red Line'. Omaha in Saving Private Ryan is an amazing piece of cinema, though it he rest of the film is underwhelming. in TTRL Mallick achieves the sublime, it's a great film far beyond the constraints of a genre piece. Fug!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom