• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saving Private Ryan's Omaha Beach scene hasn't been rivaled by any war movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Thin Red Line has the most tense battle sequence I've probably ever seen in a war film. Everything from the build up to the actual battle was pretty much perfect. The beach scene in Saving Private Ryan is visceral and shocking but it's not the complete package like The Thin Red Line's hill battle. The Thin Red Line is overall a better film by a fair margin too imo.

PTrBjbs.gif

Yup yup yup

Herne

The opening sequence in Saving Private Ryan is fantastic, but I find it less impressive than the battle scenes in Waterloo. That film pulled out all the stops to make everything look absolutely perfect (with the understandable exception of the cannons), and they manage to do so without much camera trickery. The hills match the original battle because they were excavated, there are thousands of soldiers in a shot because they filmed thousands of soldiers, and the cavalry charges were so realistic that the extras being filmed broke and ran. Regardless of what we can see in modern war films, it's basically impossible to reproduce that kind of feeling because nobody is willing to go to such lengths.

Agreed. And even then the number of troops in all three armies shown are only a fraction of the real numbers involved.

I think of that Hardcore History podcast on The Punic Wars and The Battle of Cannae and it would be quite crazy to see something like that realized.

There is a video on YouTube showing the perspective of a Roman soldier during the Battle of Cannae, but for the life of me I can't find it. It was really well done.

MedicUnderFire

Neo Member
The beach assault of Peleliu from the pacific was one of the most brutal moments from the series.

Also when trumpets fade had some well shot battles, considering its a tv movie.

strafer

The Thin Red Line has the most tense battle sequence I've probably ever seen in a war film. Everything from the build up to the actual battle was pretty much perfect. The beach scene in Saving Private Ryan is visceral and shocking but it's not the complete package like The Thin Red Line's hill battle. The Thin Red Line is overall a better film by a fair margin too imo.

PTrBjbs.gif

This is good.

Whenever I see tall grass I need to run and hide in it and qoute this movie.

FeD.nL

i'd have to say pretty much all of the action sequences in Band of Brothers were on a whole other level from anything else that has been done since, in terms of directing and editing

Brecourt Manor

Carentan

etc

Yup I agree. For me the Assault on Foy is just sublime. That entire episode is a roller coaster of emotions and then they manage to fit every feeling you've had during that episode again in the 8 minute sequence at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom